PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 2000 G20

NisFan
12-31-2002, 10:03 PM
Hey all

I am planning to buy a 2000 G20 with 53K on it. It is the G20 with Touring package in silver. How reliable is this car? Were there any serious problem with the car (ie: recalls, sunroof leaks and rattles, rust etc)? It is quite hard to find info about the history of the car. Would anyone recommend this car as a used car? Any comments will be great. Thanks!

guptasa1
12-31-2002, 11:39 PM
Do a search (extend it to maximum distance back) of *all forums* for G20 and you should find some posts about it. I remember reading posts from a person about the car a little while back. I believe he indicated it was VERY reliable and a lot of fun to drive - the only issue he had was it was a little underpowered (if you want a really powerful car). I believe that specific post was in the G35 forum, though, so you'll have to search more forums than just here. Also, have you looked the vehicle up on Edmunds? Good luck!

**DONOTDELETE**
01-01-2003, 12:26 PM
You can also ask some questions on the forums at www.G20.net (http://www.G20.net)

**DONOTDELETE**
01-03-2003, 08:17 PM
Consumer Reports once rated the G20 as the single most reliable vehicle, period, any class, any model.

NisFan
01-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Thanks to all for the posts. I have another question for everyone. How is the gas consumption for the G20? Any personal numbers? According to the ratings, it should be EPA city 22mpg, highway 28 mpg. Isn't that quite a guzzler? Even the 160HP RSX has 24mpg/33mpg. The G20 only has 145HP but it takes more gas. With gas prices being so high as they are these days, I am unsure if this vehicle will be the best bang for the buck. Nevertheless, I prefer the styling cue on the G20 rather than the RSX.

M_TYPE_X
01-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Well, the G20 is an older vehicle design and thus you'd expect newer engines of similar specs to get better fuel consumption stats.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/ooo.gif M Type X http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/ooo.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2003, 10:19 AM
My '92 G20 averaged 25 miles per gallon, combined city/highway. In terms of annual operating/maintenance costs, it was downright cheap, because nothing ever broke. The G20 was most attractive when they were offered at great deals, which was frequently. If you're not being offered a great deal, there are probably other cars more competitive.

ralittle2
01-08-2003, 09:56 PM
I just got back from a trip and averaged about 34 mpg and that is travelling at an average of about 70mph. I've always gotten good mileage both intown and on the highway.

NisFan
01-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Just picked up my 2000 G20t today. Man, this car is NICE! It drives well. The dealer provided a full tank of gas but I guess the person who filled the gas didn't lock the fuel cap enough. Therefore, the "Service engine soon" light came on. How long do I have to drive before the warning will go away? Also, how much does it cost to have the Infiniti dealer reset it(just in case they try to make me pay for it)? Other than that, I really like the handling and ride on this vehicle.

ralittle2
01-10-2003, 09:37 PM
I seem to recall that it might take 24-48 hours, but I am going to defer to those who might be more knowledgeable about this.

Glad you like the G20. It's a bit of a sleeper, drives and handles nice. Could use a bit more power, but the high redline makes it fun. The handling still pleases me after 5 years of ownership.

ralittle2
01-10-2003, 09:39 PM
BTW, just as an aside, I'm for clean air and all of that, but this service engine light due to a loose gas cap is total bs.

NisFan
01-10-2003, 10:01 PM
I think that the design is quite clean. Handling is definitely good. I wonder how driving would be like in snow? I have P195/60R15 H-rated all-season tires on my G20t. Any idea? Are winter tires necessary?

ralittle2
01-10-2003, 10:33 PM
I live in Atlanta so I really can't talk about snow with much authority - it'been a while since I lived in Colorado.

Obviously though, a front wheel drive car does pretty decently in snow. However, and I don't know where you live, but if you live in an area such as Boston or similar, with a heck of a lot of snow, then I would investigate snow tires during the season.

I've never had to use them, but I hear that snow tires are truly a wonderful thing. Even people who own Audi's switch to snow tires in the winter in certain areas despite having Quattro.

DSM
01-19-2003, 03:57 PM
You won't regret buying the G20. I have both a 2002 G20 and a 2003 G35 sedan. I love them both. The G20 handles and rides very well, the seats are very comfortable, the quality of the build and interior materials is first rate, and it gets good gas milage. The G35 is certainly much faster, roomier, more stylish, and it handles beautifully - a true sports sedan. It drinks more gas, but its performance is first rate. All in all, they are both fine cars.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-22-2003, 04:19 PM
how much did you buy it for? my wife has a 2000 G20T that we want to sell. it has only 33,000 miles so i'm curious as to what you paid.

NisFan
03-01-2003, 12:57 PM
I got a good deal from my nissan dealer for the G20. I paid about $21K Cdn for the car. Across town, an Infiniti dealer had another similar year/model G20t but with 56,000Km for $22800 Cdn. Similarly, I checked the Autotrader magazine and saw that the price range for a 2000 G20t with less than 55,000Km will not sell for less than $21K Cdn privately. The G20s' maintain their price in the resale market. Hope this helps.

Well, I have owned my G20 for a couple of months now and have no problems at all. I am falling in love with the car each day. The car's handling at high speeeds is probably one of the G20's strength.