PDA

View Full Version : Lsd question

98s14inaz
01-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Here is my dilema. I finnally got my rear end of my car up on jacks and to my dismay I have no LSD. My car is a 98 240sx se no abs, no LSD, auto. My question is... Can I take the limited slip off an 96 240sx 5speed, swap the internals with my cars differential, connect to my drive shaft and have it work properly??? Anyone even tried this? I am a patient person so I don't mind the work. Please help http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

asad
01-05-2003, 01:12 PM
Yes, you can.

Even easier, you can swap the entire diff, complete with housing, which is a simple remove-and-replace operation compared to swapping internals, which requires checking bearing and gear clearances and shimming to achieve the appropriate clearances.

Asad

98s14inaz
01-05-2003, 01:50 PM
Thanxs asad,

What about the automatic tranny driveshaft. aren't they different lengths. I have an auto, the car that I am taking the diff out of has a 5spd. You are saying that won't be an issue?

asad
01-05-2003, 02:27 PM
It's the front half of the auto tranny driveshaft that's a different length. Since the center bearing is in the same place, and the rear halves of both AT and MT driveshafts are the same, it won't be an issue.

Well, there is a slight issue of whether or not the car you're taking the diff from has ABS (which, since it's an S14, it should if it has an LSD). The rear section of the ABS driveshafts are about 15mm shorter than the non-ABS driveshafts. Most people have found that there's enough slack in the driveshaft that the slightly longer driveshaft will still fit, though. If it's a big issue to you, you can take the rear half of the driveshaft from the car you're taking the diff from, or just get your rear half shortened by the appropriate amount.

Asad

98s14inaz
01-05-2003, 03:23 PM
Cool, how do you take the rear half of the drive shaft, I haven't had to mess with that before. The other car does have ABS. The drive shaft is two pieces??? So do you just unbolt it or something. My friend has the factory service manual but I just wanted to know what I am getting myself into. Is it dangerous to the car to try and use the slack with the shaft that is on my car?? or is it all the same? thanks, sorry for being a pain in the a$$.

asad
01-05-2003, 03:35 PM
Yes, the rear half just unbolts. Since your friend has the FSM, the exploded diagram for the driveshaft assembly should be somewhere in the first few pages of the PD (Propeller shaft & Differential carrier) section.

If you have access to the shorter rear driveshaft section, then use it -- that way it'll be guaranteed to work. Using the longer rear driveshaft could put a little more stress on the center driveshaft support bearing, and there's an outside chance it could affect the rear transmission seal as well.

Asad

98s14inaz
01-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Thanks alot asad!!! I appreciate the input. Someone else told me I was going to have to cut down the drive shaft. Talk to you later. I am pleased to know there is a simpler solution. Later