PDA

View Full Version : Rattling noise

S14 K's
03-29-2001, 11:31 AM
There's some rattling noise somewhere around the center console and the windshield air outlet when the rpm is around 3000rpm. I checked my stereo and the console around it, but those aren't the source, and there's nothing causing this in my glove box.
Have anyone of you encounter this before? What's your solution to this?

Also, there's rattling noise I guess from the panel of the rear speakers, but I couln't really locate where. I checked the trunk, the jack in the trunk, the spoiler...etc, and everything is tight in its place. Any suggestions and solutions?

**DONOTDELETE**
03-29-2001, 01:04 PM
I really can't do more than commiserate with you. My 96 has the same rattles, wit hthe addition of one that seems to come from the vicinity of the vent in the passenger side door.

I'm thinking that the one in the back may be from the springs that support the trunk lid when it's up. I just haven't had a chance to test my theory.

I'll let you know if I find anything out...

mzf
03-29-2001, 01:21 PM
I have a few rattles in my S13 hatchback. I put some foam under the speaker covers in the rear, turn up the volume, and most importantly, try to avoid rough surfaces. http://www.freshalloy.com/ Also, the faster you go the less they vibrate. Atleast for me that's true.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-29-2001, 01:54 PM
I am pretty sure your rear trunk latch needs to be adjusted. When you go to a dealer for your next service, have them "adjust the rear trunk latch". that way they won't charge you anything.

S-14 Pilot http://www.freshalloy.com/

hypercarrots
03-29-2001, 01:54 PM
i have an s14 and i have talked to other s14 owners about the rear speaker area rattling. hit the panel inbetween the speakers with your palm. if it rattles, take off the panel that holds the rear speakers and put some towels or something underneath. that should help the rattle.

i have also developed a rattle from the jack area i think. taking out the jack helps make the rattle quieter but it is still there.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-29-2001, 01:59 PM
I had a rattle coming from inside my rear seat. You may want to fold the seat down and open the cloth and see if any of those metal rings are vibrating.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-29-2001, 02:28 PM
If your license plate is loose that can sometimes create a rattle over certain surfaces.

Buzz

S14 K's
03-29-2001, 03:17 PM
Thanks for your advices!!

Well, since I don't have my car serviced by the dealer anymore, I am thinking whether I can adjust the latch by myself? Can you tell me how??
And for the rear panel with speakers, how can I remove it and add a towel, or tighten it??

hypercarrots
03-29-2001, 05:09 PM
just gently pry it off. they are little plastic thingies holding it on.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S14 K's:
And for the rear panel with speakers, how can I remove it and add a towel, or tighten it??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

S14 K's
03-29-2001, 07:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypercarrots:
just gently pry it off. they are little plastic thingies holding it on.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

but do I need to remove the speaker covers first?? if so, how?

I think there's only one screw kindda thing in the middle, but how can I remove it? just forcing it out???

[This message has been edited by S14 K's (edited 03-29-2001).]

hypercarrots
03-29-2001, 10:46 PM
no the speaker covers will come off with the "felt covered" panel. it's all one piece.

you don't have to unscrew anything. it "pops" off. it'll pop right back on too. if you really don't understand take it to a car audio place or a nissan dealer and ask them to show you.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S14 K's:
but do I need to remove the speaker covers first?? if so, how?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
03-30-2001, 12:50 AM
I got an idea turn up your radio! HeHe http://www.freshalloy.com/

Shin
03-30-2001, 01:53 PM
I have that same problem in my 91 hatch.. Its an annoying buzzing noise coming from the center console.. cant figure out exactly where though.. But I just turn up the stereo and problem solved!!
Anyone now how to fix this though?