PDA

View Full Version : Murano Hitch information from Hidden Hitch

jaak
01-16-2003, 06:23 PM
If you are looking for a hitch for your Murano, have a look at www.hiddenhitch.com (http://www.hiddenhitch.com)

You can see the installation instructions at
http://www.hiddenhitch.com/images/products/instructions/90073.pdf

The hitch search takes you to
http://www.hiddenhitch.com/Products/DisplayHitch.asp?HitchID=90073

If the quality is like the previous hitch I purchased from them for my 2K Max when it was brand new, it should be a great product.

Anyone using one already? How's the quality and how exposed is it? (Is it really Hidden? http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif )

cpete
01-30-2003, 06:38 PM
How much $$$. The towing package is over $500 from Nissan.

Chris

jaak
01-30-2003, 10:20 PM
I don't know yet, but I'll find out. The hitch for my Maxima was about $200 Canadian, so roughly $130 US.

The Nissan package also includes the wiring, if I recall. I don't use the hitch to tow, just for my bike rack, so I don't need the wiring.

cpete
01-30-2003, 11:27 PM
Same here. If I got the hitch, it would be just for a bike rack.

Chris

ronf8991
01-31-2003, 01:25 PM
My Hidden Hitch is being installed today...the dealer agreed to take care of adding an after market hitch for me because the Nissan hitch is not yet available. I gave the info about Hidden Hitch and the photos that someone had posted of the Nissan Hitch, and they looked identical...it took 5 days after ordering from Hidden Hitch, and I dropped off my silver/black Murano yesterday to have it installed...I'll post later to let you all know how it looks!

jaak
01-31-2003, 07:23 PM
If you can, post a pic so we can see just how "hidden" it is....

I'll have to get one ordered, but I'm not in a rush, because I don't think I'll be on the mountain bike for another 2-3 months.

ronf8991
02-02-2003, 01:07 PM
Got the car back with the hitch installed. It is VERY hidden and looks exactly like the Nissan hitch! One problem though...and the dealer is trying to solve it...the hitch installers used a wire harness that somehow causes the Murano computer to go sense an airbag problem. The dealer removed the harness, and they said they would seek out a custom solution for the hitch wiring. I've got to say...these guys at Irvine Nissan in So.Ca. have been incredible! When I bought the car I told them I needed a hitch right away and they said no problem, they'd pay for a third-party hitch to be installed, and they have totally exceeded my expectations in following through. Hopefully the wiring issue will be solved this week!

I'll try to post a picture of the Hidden Hitch later today...it really does look great!

jaak
02-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Hey thanks, That's great feedback. I'm really pleased to hear this, as I was hoping that kind of workmanship after I saw how good the Maxima one was...

I'll look forward to the pictures. I might just order one this week, as they probably won't have it in stock at my local hitch place.

ronf8991
02-03-2003, 04:23 PM
I have posted a picture of my Murano with Hidden Hitch installed at:
www.ronsongs.net/temp (http://www.ronsongs.net/temp)

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Somewhere can't remember where I saw a pic that just had the hitch below the bumper and not the bar from side to side to exhaust pipes. Was nice and hidden for sure.

jaak
02-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Hey thanks for the pic, It's not as hidden as on the Maxima, but it's not ugly either.

Yep, gonna go get one!

You also answered another question for me, as I wanted to be sure the receiver was the right size... Save a few $ on that! http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

jaak
02-03-2003, 08:14 PM
If you stumble accross the pic of the better hidden one, I'd love to know where it is...

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 10:00 PM
I put one on last Saturday. It was really easy (if all the bolts come loose!) It really is hidden and recessed so you don't bust your shin on it. The only problem I had was "Hidden Hitch" put the decals on upside down! No problem, I took them off and without them it really is virtually invisible! The biggest thing I can recommend for installing is some "golf grip solvent" for removing and reconnecting the rubber gaskets on the driver's side. that will save you a lot of grief!

Good luck!!

fortphil
02-04-2003, 12:36 AM
"You also answered another question for me, as I wanted to be sure the receiver was the right size... Save a few $ on that!"

Looks like it is only a 1 1/4" receiver - Class 2 - right?

jaak
02-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Yup, Class II, perfect for my bike rack.. You can see all the drawbars and other accessories (like bike racks) on their website.

jaak
02-06-2003, 04:23 PM
Dropped in, and have it on order! No rush to get it, but they said it was going to be in a few days.

Great, something else to do on the weekend...

**DONOTDELETE**
03-11-2003, 10:27 AM
i was hoping for something even better looking than the hidden hitch in the above thread.

does reese or other manufatures have a design that completely hides it? outside of the connection

i was hoping the cross bar would be behind and under the rear bumper. i havent looked under to see if that is possible or not.

need some more pics...please

jaak
03-11-2003, 11:35 AM
Haven't had a good look, but I suspect it's visible, because it has to be. The Hidden Hitch on the Maxima, truly was hidden. Of course, on the positive side, the hitch seems to go in front of the Muffler, or whatever it is on the exhaust at the back. So it's more like a disguise the exhaust system hitch...

TopDog
03-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Do you mind showing us a picture taken from a higher vantage point to let us see how "hidden" it really is? Also, if you don't mind, what did the dealer charge you? If my dealer does this, then I will have a better opportunity to get the Murano I want, when I want. Thanks!

jaak
03-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Well, so far, here's what mine looks like...

http://members.rogers.com/ve3mij/muranohitch.jpg

When it warms up, I'll put it on. The tube part, sit's behind the muffler, or whatever it is in the middle, but clears the exhaust (of course!).

**DONOTDELETE**
03-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Has anyone had the Nissan one installed yet? From picture it looks more hidden then "Hidden Hitch" one, the cross beam is hidden behind lower bumber trim.
http://www.nissanusa.com/m/cma/i/3mu/3murano_acc_si15_tow.jpg

jaak
03-12-2003, 01:17 PM
Sure does look better!!! I wonder if there's a difference in rating? I might need to take mine back! Although, it does protect the exhaust better, by the looks of it...

chicagonissandriver
03-12-2003, 10:06 PM
I have the Nissan one Installed. Do you want me to post Picture of the Nissan Tow Package?

TopDog
03-12-2003, 10:13 PM
I have the Nissan one Installed. Do you want me to post Picture of the Nissan Tow Package?

No thanks. I saw a tow pkg at the dealer today. Nissan factory's tow pkg looks much better, IMHO. Will probably be ordering my SE with everything and tow pkg tomorrow.

tatt2tony
03-13-2003, 11:28 AM
I think the Nissan one looks a little better but not enough to pay 4 times the price. You can't go wrong with a Hidden Hitch for $132 USD.

jaak
03-13-2003, 08:15 PM
4 times!!! Well, if that's the case, the HH is going on...

In a way, I like the fact that it "protects" part of the exhaust. If you slip with a trailer on the Nissan one, you could puncture the muffler... (Yeah, like that's going to happen. OK, I'm just trying to justify my purchase...) http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

87gta
03-17-2003, 02:58 PM
Hey Chicago! Or anyone else... I would be very interested in seeing some good pics of the Nissan hitch installed. The pics on the web site just don't cut it - the angle is all wrong to get a good look.

Here in Canada the Nissan hitch is about $150 more than the Hidden Hitch, so if the factory unit looks nicer (by that I mean more hidden) then I might go for that.

I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my MO - Silver/Black AWD SL!!!

Thanks

fortphil
03-17-2003, 10:05 PM
Called a local hitch place to get a Canadian $ price on a class 2 hitch for a Murano:

Hitch - Parts 184
Hitch - Installation 56
Wiring - Parts 60
Wiring - Installation 75
Ball 10

Total 385

Tax In 443

What is your dealer quoting for the Nissan version? Mine can't find a price.

jaak
03-17-2003, 11:34 PM
I was checking out the ass of my Murano, while having a coffee with my Bro-in-law... I kept looking at that muffler at the back and was thinking it's going to look ugly as it get's old. I'm sticking with the HH, as it's going to hide the thing.

Once it warms up, I'll do some before and after pics for comparison. (I'm not getting out in the snow to put it on!!!)

87gta
03-18-2003, 03:45 PM
Hey Jaak - did you buy just the basic wiring kit with the converter? Maybe you can post detailed wiring instructions when you get it done. The hitch install is completely straight forward.

Fortphil... I called the local Ziebart, and they told me:

$250 tax paid installed for the hitch
$100 tax paid installed for the wiring, including converter.
$230 tax paid installed fo rthe wiring, including converter and power isolation.
$10 for the ball

According to them (ie Hidden Hitch) they RECOMMEND that you use the power isolation wiring which is supposed to save the computer in the event of something bad happening. It is not required, but recommended.

So if I go with the standard wiring i'd be looking at about $360 tax paid installed.

Nissan quoted me (I didn't talk to the service department to get installation prices)...
$290 tax paid for the hitch
$54 tax paid for the wiring
$20 tax paid for the ball

So it doesn't look like the use the "power isolation" deal, so I guess I won't either. It would be $365 for just the parts, no install from Nissan.

So unless the Nissan hitch is WAY nicer, I would be better off getting it installed at Ziebart.

Anyone got any pictures????

Printerman
03-18-2003, 03:49 PM
Jaak!!!!!

I have no need for the hitch....

But living in NYC I want to keep people from destroying my
rear end.....You think I could put one in the front ?? http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jaak
03-18-2003, 08:23 PM
Well, Um, er, I'm not doing the wiring... But if I look at it, I'll tell you!

I'm putting a bike rack on. Oh, speaking of bike racks, have you seen that commercial where the idiots have an SUV with bikes on top and can't get through a tunnel so they drive around it?

Sheeesh... Put a bike rack on a hitch and just drive through. Wait until they get their first dent and scratch from when the bike slips, while trying to put it up there!

jaak
03-18-2003, 08:38 PM
Jaak!!!!!

I have no need for the hitch....

But living in NYC I want to keep people from destroying my
rear end.....You think I could put one in the front ?? http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brooklyn! You'll have to say hi to my Uncle Joe... (I bet that narrows it down to a few thousand people...)

Funny you mention that, I was thinking a decent fabricator could make a nice push bar for the front end. The Nissan one's pretty goofy looking. Ideally, something with Chrome teeth...

chicagonissandriver
03-18-2003, 10:14 PM
Hey sorry guys I have been out of town and I still am. I can post Pictures of my Hitch this weekend. Do you want underneath pic's too? Oh by the way drove through Indy and Kentucky and West Virginia. SAW Hundreds of the New Maxima's being transported. I need to take my camera with me on these trips.

fortphil
03-19-2003, 01:28 AM
I'm putting a bike rack on. Oh, speaking of bike racks, have you seen that commercial where the idiots have an SUV with bikes on top and can't get through a tunnel so they drive around it?

A lame Pilot commercial, but how about the beer commercial that ran last summer where the guys enter their garage with their bikes still on the roof.

fortphil
03-19-2003, 01:31 AM
87GTA:
Thanks for the quotes.

87gta
03-19-2003, 02:48 PM
Hey, no problem. Chicago... the more pictures the merrier!

I called my dealer today and asked them to move the delivery dat to the middle of April - it was supposed to be May (due to existing lease obligations), but I CAN'T WAIT!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

chicagonissandriver
03-19-2003, 09:39 PM
I had an existing lease obligation on my 2000 Maxima. I couldnt wait. They rolled in $2,500 into my murano lease and paid me an additional $2,700 to buy out my lease. Now I have a Maxima with no payments until Feb. But im going to turn it in.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-21-2003, 12:37 PM
of your factory hitch from nissan

MOtivated
03-21-2003, 02:18 PM
Has anyone seen a 2" receiver hitch for the Murano yet? I want to use a 2" receiver for my bike rack since I've heard bad things about the smaller ones.

jaak
03-21-2003, 03:02 PM
I'm curious what the bad things you've heard are... I've been using a class II hitch for my bike rack for 6 years with no problems at all! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MOtivated
03-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Essentially, I heard that the smaller diameter mount will not support heavier bikes (like DH bikes) without a good deal of flex. Everyone I've spoken to around my area says 2" hitch is the way to go. Perhaps for XC bikes, the 1 1/4" is sufficient...I need to carry three 50+ pound bikes at once, and from all I've heard, that's a no-no with a Class II hitch. Of course, I have no personal experience, so I can't speak to it myself.

Are you carrying multiple bikes, or very heavy bikes? I appreciate the info.

87gta
03-21-2003, 05:34 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a class 2 hitch has a tongue weight of more than 350lbs, right? So that means you gotta have some heavy-ass bikes http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

MOtivated
03-21-2003, 05:57 PM
From what I understand, it's not the hitch itself, it's the construction of the bike rack. Since they use the smaller diameter tubing to accomodate the smaller hitch, they tend to flex more. I guess the more I think about it, the more it seems to depend on the rack itself, not the hitch.

fortphil
03-24-2003, 09:17 PM
From what I understand, it's not the hitch itself, it's the construction of the bike rack. Since they use the smaller diameter tubing to accomodate the smaller hitch, they tend to flex more. I guess the more I think about it, the more it seems to depend on the rack itself, not the hitch.

Your solution, as someone suggested to me, would be to buy a hitch adapter that converts a 1 1/4" to a 2" receiver. They go for about 50 bucks.

MOtivated
03-24-2003, 09:49 PM
Well, I suppose that's a possibility...but I've heard that there is more rattling and shaking due to the additional link.

In any case, I ordered my Hidden Hitch today, along with a Thule Expressway rack. I'll post pics when it's installed.

Thanks all for the info!

jaak
03-25-2003, 07:42 AM
Hmmm.... Trying to remember my rack... Oh, yeah it's a Swagman(?) I'm going from memory. Anyway, it's made of pretty heavy steel tubing, holds three bikes and it's been great. It also tilts back, so you can open the hatch.

Normally, I carry two full suspension cross-country bikes, so that's probably around 55 lbs, but I've had my wife and kid's old iron beaters on there with my aluminum beauty and there's never been a hint of a problem. I can even put my own weight on it, with the bikes, and it's happy.

I have seen some flimsy racks, and I agree, that could cause a problem! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

roadrunner70
03-26-2003, 08:49 PM
i just discovered this board, but i installed the hidden hitch on my sl this past week-end. i decided to go with the hidden hitch for the following reasons: my other car has the 2" receiver and i had an extra ball and lock for a 1.5" saving $$$, its a little lighter thereby giving me more load capacity and milage, it was relatively inexpensive and easy to install. i have installed several hitches, and from the look of the port installed unit, (i have not seen one in person yet), it looks like you have to drop the entire muffler and tail pipe assembly to put it in. if so, that is another reason to go with the hidden hitch. i don't personally care about the appearance, and i prefer to not have to plug in the trailer wires to a fixed site, as it tends to be a bit far for my trailer wires. Now, has anyone installed a wiring harness yet, and one with 5 pins (i need one with the back up light too). i am being patient on this, but any help would be appreciated. i am also interestsed in knowing how it tows, as we ahve been towing our boat with a 2002 v6 front wd highlander. roadrunner70.

roadrunner70
03-26-2003, 08:50 PM
i too rushed to get the hitch on to avoid those inconsiderate people who hit cars while parking

roadrunner70
03-26-2003, 08:54 PM
on the bike carrier issue, the one i have carries 4 bikes and is limited to 300 lbs and it does not matter if your using a class II or class III hitch. Irrespective of whether you have a 2" or 1.5" box, the murano is limited, i believe to 300 lbs. so, i agree, it boils down to the quality of bike carrier and its design.

roadrunner70
03-30-2003, 05:52 PM
has anyone installed an aftermarket wiring harness (or nissan kit), and just as important, has anyone used a five pin harness, with the extra pin for the back up lights.

jaak
03-30-2003, 07:08 PM
OK, put the HH on... It's nowhere near as nice as the Nissan one pictured elsewhere. I will protect the muffler at the back, that's for sure!

The round tube at the back, sticks out more than I expected and basically runs between the tailpipes. On the positive side, there's not much chance of ever backing up and damaging a tailpipe, as the HH bracket comes out beside it.

Installation wasn't too bad. Had to take off the stock hook at the back, and then six bolts to put on the HH. The installation instructions talk about undoing the exhaust hangers, but I found I could slide it in over top of the exhaust, pretty easily. Then six bolts, but I'll say one thing, I have no idea what they were thinking when they decided to purchase bolts with 18 mm heads! I don't even have metric tools that fit that, as no one ever uses 18mm!

Good thing my Father-in-Law was a mechanic. He was happy to loan me a 18mm socket. He said, it didn't feel like such a waste of money to have it, now that I found a use... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyway, if you haven't bought a hitch yet, I'd take a good look at the Nissan one. If I had it to do all over again, I think I'd go with that one. For now, this one will do. I'll either get used to it, and not care, or I'll change it, if it bugs me.

HH did a fabulous job on the Maxima hitch. This one's, not so hot...

I'll take a picture sometime this week, but right now, I gotta Bar-B-Q to fire up! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tatt2tony
03-30-2003, 07:44 PM
Anyway, if you haven't bought a hitch yet, I'd take a good look at the Nissan one.

Doh! Oh well, I guess I'm stuck with mine unless I sell it. I would still like to see your pictures Jaak. Of course after your Sunday Q. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jaak
03-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Well, it's not ugly, but I do wish it was a bit further forward.

Since you've not installed yours, you could try taking it back?!

I don't know, I'll have to live with it... I might be that I'm just so used to it not being there!

I'll try to get a pic on for ya!

jaak
03-30-2003, 08:01 PM
OK, I jumped out with the camera, to take some pics and thought I actually like it.

I think the shock of seeing something there, when there wasn't before, really got to me.

I like how it hides the muffler. Just as I was doing that, my bro-in-law drove in and said, hey, you got it installed, it looks pretty good!

I told him I wasn't so sure, and he said, no, I like it. You're just being your usual anal picky self...

Having looked at it for a while and remembering the view of the muffler that it now covers, I actually think I like it better...

This is the view from behind:

http://members.rogers.com/ve3mij/HH1.JPG

And the view when standing behind:

http://members.rogers.com/ve3mij/HH2.JPG

How it looks next to the tailpipe... This is what threw me at first. Wasn't sure I liked it!

http://members.rogers.com/ve3mij/HH3.JPG

From the other side:

http://members.rogers.com/ve3mij/HH4.JPG

From behind:

http://members.rogers.com/ve3mij/HH5.JPG

It's dirty and the lighting was not so good, so the camera had to slow down a bit. Sorry about the quality!

So the Nissan one is better hidden, and the Hidden Hitch one, hides the muffler, is less expensive, would also protect the exhaust better and could be considered uglier if you don't want to see it.

I may peel the stickers off though... I can do without that! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tatt2tony
03-31-2003, 11:53 AM
It sticks out a bit further then I like but it's not that bad looking. Definitly need to lose the stickers. Thanks for posting the pictures Jaak.

I have to see what dealer cost is on the Nissan hitch because it was an option as part of my deal when I bought my MO. I can always sell the HH on eBay if I change my mind.

Now I'm actually thinking about not installing a hitch at all and using the wife's Explorer for all towing needs. Yeah, that's the ticket.

jaak
03-31-2003, 12:43 PM
The tube accross the back could easily go in another inch without any concern with hitting the muffler. It would be a better looking install. I also think it could go up slightly as well.

It doesn't really flow with the curve of the back end either, but hitches usually aren't pretty things!

But, hey, it's done. Now I can go riding in the woods! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MOtivated
03-31-2003, 01:38 PM
I also installed my Hidden Hitch this weekend. I immediately removed the stickers, and it looks MUCH better. Very easy install overall, and I like the look of it.

Bike rack should be here today...I'll take pics when I put it on.

jaak
03-31-2003, 03:26 PM
I also installed my Hidden Hitch this weekend. I immediately removed the stickers, and it looks MUCH better. Very easy install overall, and I like the look of it.

Bike rack should be here today...I'll take pics when I put it on.

I think it's a mistake to wait too long to put it on! I got used to no hitch, so it really looked weird to me, when I first looked at it.

I tried to get the stickers off, but they just didn't want to budge! I think it was too cold! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics...

MOtivated
03-31-2003, 03:44 PM
I got the stickers off with a flat-blade razor knife and some Goo Gone. Pried up the edges, peeled them off, and Goo Gone-d the surface to get rid of the adhesive. Voila!

jaak
03-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Sounds like it will work well. I started to grab a corner of one, but it was just above freezing and that sucker didn't want to move! I figure the temp will climb up by next weekend, so I'll give it a shot then.

Either that, or borrow my wife's hairdryer... That will make her laugh, my hair's so short, it's dry almost immediately after getting out of the shower!

LEEMCSER
03-31-2003, 06:41 PM
I ordered & installed one of these hitches a few months ago, it works great, easy to install, bolted right on. The wiring you need is under the left rear cargo opening, you will need an adapter (sold at most auto parts stores) to wire a 4 pin connector since it has seperate turn signals & brake lights.

jaak
03-31-2003, 09:46 PM
Hey, thanks... That's a 5 star answer! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

roadrunner70
04-01-2003, 06:44 PM
exactly were was the wiring available. inside the car on the car or under. thanks. also, anyone know how i can get access to the back up light circuit??

MOtivated
04-02-2003, 12:09 AM
Pics of the Thule Expressway carrier, mounted on my Hidden Hitch receiver, as promised. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/MuranoHitch1.jpg

MOtivated
04-02-2003, 12:10 AM
High angle
http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/MuranoHitch2.jpg

MOtivated
04-02-2003, 12:12 AM
Down low. One thing I do like is that the rear hatch will open without folding the rack down on its hinge. I can even open it with a bike on the rack on the nearest set of hangers, as long as I turn the handlebars a little so it will clear. Very nice.
http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/MuranoHitch3.jpg

jaak
04-02-2003, 07:38 AM
Thanks, RBridgman!

OK, I have to take off the stickers! Looks much better without them.

Nice Rack! (Never thought I'd catch myself saying that, especially to a guy... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) I keep looking at the picture trying to figure out how it folds down...

Maybe I'll throw on my Swagman and take a pic so you can see how much nicer yours is! But I've had it for 6 years, and only paid $50 for it!

Nice hardtail too... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif Let's go for a ride!

MOtivated
04-02-2003, 10:37 AM
Thanks, Jaak. I'm Rob, btw...and I plan to be around for a while, so might as well introduce myself. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The rack folds down right at the junction of the horizontal and vertical pieces of the rack. You can see in the last pic that there is an angled piece of rubber pointing towards the rear; that's where the vertical piece rests when the rack is folded. The small cable sticking out on the left is holding the cotter pin that releases to allow the rack to fold.

Nice thing is...it's unnecessary! The hatch opens right up without folding the rack down.

Thanks for the bike props...last time I rode in Canada it was at Bromont, on my DH rig. Also rode Coaticook on the XC bike, but that was just some brutal climbing. Maybe we should organize a Murano owners' MTB gathering. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jaak
04-02-2003, 01:51 PM
OK, that makes sense.. I wasn't sure about the pin, as the Swagman has that as well. I like how clean yours is, going straight into the hitch. Mine's made to bolt on where the ball is (Yeah, old design.) so it's not as elegant.

I'll get a pic on so all can see why they should get your rack... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fortphil
04-03-2003, 10:25 PM
Well I did it. I ordered a blue/charcoal Murano SE and expect delivery around the middle of the month.

Next problem for me is the hitch. The hitch Nissan Canada features on their website, and which my dealer insists is the only one available, is identical to Jaak's Hidden Hitch model. The only difference I see is that it only has one decal instead of two.
What I really want is Chicagonissandriver's hitch. I like the integrated light plug and the 2" receiver.

Help! Has anyone had any luck in obtaining this hitch or any other Murano hitch with a 2" receiver in Canada? Thanks for your help.

jaak
04-03-2003, 10:39 PM
Maybe you can work a deal with a hood bug deflector!

Zill
04-03-2003, 11:51 PM
I just had the HH installed today - USD $150 + $25 for the hitch and wiring, installed. I'm a happy camper.

The guy at Hitches 'R'Us(r) was surprised the Murano was only Class 2.. I wasn't. The smaller size is OK w/me, I'm just haulin' bikes and moto-sickles.

fortphil
04-04-2003, 12:19 AM
Maybe you can work a deal with a hood bug deflector!

I'll likely be forced into some cross border shopping. My wife can spend time in the mall while I hang around a Nissan dealer in upstate NY.

roadrunner70
04-04-2003, 03:52 PM
can you please post which wiring harness parts he used, and where were they connected. also, is it a four pin flat or five pin flat? thanks.

Zill
04-04-2003, 10:51 PM
Mine is a flat 4-conductor, the wire snakes out of the left cargo hold. I haven't looked to see how it connected...

I removed the stickers today and what an improvement!

tatt2tony
04-06-2003, 07:15 PM
I don't even have metric tools that fit that, as no one ever uses 18mm!

I was going to put mine on this weekend but I didn't have the 18mm socket. Nor do I have the 14mm socket also required per the instructions. My metric sockets for my Beemer MC only goes up to 13mm. Oh well, an excuse to buy more tools. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jaak
04-06-2003, 10:32 PM
The 14mm is to remove the bolts that Nissan put in... Maybe you can get the sockets cheaper, if you only buy a 14mm removal socket and an 18mm installation socket.

Should be half price, if you only have to turn them one way, right? http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

tatt2tony
04-07-2003, 10:42 AM
I bought a nice set of new Craftsman deep well metric sockets sizes 11mm through 19mm on eBay for $10.00. Good to go!

jaak
04-07-2003, 11:57 AM
Does it have an 18? They often go 8 10 11 12 13 14 15 17 19... or something like that. With the deep well, you may have to lower the exhaust to get them in there. There was a couple, where the socket was bit of a tight squeeze to get in, when the bolt was just starting.

I think if you lower the exhaust, as per the instructions, it would be much easier. (But I had to try it without, and it worked fine!)

dborla01
04-08-2003, 08:37 AM
Had the Hidden Hitch installed 2 weeks ago and hauled a motorcycle with a u-haul trailer. Worked ok. However the transmission seemed to get hot on the uphill to our home. Darrell.

TopDog
04-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Interesting. I will be either riding or hauling my bike to a rally in KY in June. If so, there are a lot of mountains. Have you looked into a tranny cooler for the CVT? Also, was your U-Haul a open or closed trailer. Thanks, Darrell!

Phen
04-08-2003, 02:11 PM
I have the same concern with the MO re towing. I was
choosing between 4runner and MO.. for towing 4 runner
wins no problem. but in my case, styling and others
took me over to the MO side.. Anyone out there, have
any real world towing experience (like a 2000+ lbs boat etc).
With the CVT, towing is something new to this tranny..
which makes me worry..

thoughts..

stePHEN

87gta
04-08-2003, 05:38 PM
I too have that concern. My Murano is supposed to be delivered in the next couple of weeks. I need to know if I will be in trouble when it comes to towing a 2500 pound boat! The vehicle is rated 3500 pounds (hence the Class II hitch) so it shouldn't be a problem. But I would like to hear from someone who's done it!!

NitroMan
04-11-2003, 12:03 PM
Anyone know of a dealer that may have the hidden hitch in stock? Hidden Hitch says they won't have any for two weeks so I need the number or name of some dealers that have installed or ordered the hitches for you to see if they may have one in stock. Thanks ...

MOtivated
04-11-2003, 01:32 PM
I ordered mine from 1-800-HITCHIT (http://www.1800hitchit.com/) and it was at my house in 3 days. I don't know if they actually stock them, though. Worth a call.

NitroMan
04-11-2003, 05:22 PM
I ordered mine from 1-800-HITCHIT (http://www.1800hitchit.com/) and it was at my house in 3 days. I don't know if they actually stock them, though. Worth a call.

Thanks for the info. They didn't have it in stock but I got lucky and found it at another dealer. I will have it installed in the morning.

Wish me luck, I will be towing right at 3500 pounds so we will see how it holds up. I will report back if nothing falls off, or even if it does. Kinda scary, only had the M-O 4 days and will be testing it's limits. I will post some pics of it towing the boat and report back how it does on the ramp.

fortphil
04-11-2003, 11:25 PM
I will post some pics of it towing the boat and report back how it does on the ramp.

Looking forward to your tow review. I sent an email to Trailer Boats a while back requesting that they do a test -still waiting.

roadrunner70
04-11-2003, 11:59 PM
if you are towing right around 3,500#s, does your trailer have brakes, and if so, disc or drum, and if disc, do you have a five pin harness? if so, could you please let us know exactly how this harness is intalled. my understanding is that a converter is needed, but where is it attached, etc. also, what are you towing, and have you verified the weight at a public scale? i have been towing a four winns 170 4.3 i/o (verified towed weight 3100#s with my 2002 2wd 6cyl highlander, and expect to occassionally tow with the murano.

NitroMan
04-13-2003, 10:50 PM
if you are towing right around 3,500#s, does your trailer have brakes, and if so, disc or drum, and if disc, do you have a five pin harness? if so, could you please let us know exactly how this harness is intalled. my understanding is that a converter is needed, but where is it attached, etc. also, what are you towing, and have you verified the weight at a public scale? i have been towing a four winns 170 4.3 i/o (verified towed weight 3100#s with my 2002 2wd 6cyl highlander, and expect to occassionally tow with the murano.

OK, here's the scoop. I had the hitch installed yesterday (hidden hitch) with 2" ball and heavy duty converter (I was told it would keep any electrical problems from the trailer feeding back into the M-O). I asked the installer if he thought there would be a problem pulling capacity with the M-O based on the construction of the hitch and the vehicle itself. He said in his opinion the M-O should easily handle 4,000 pounds and to keep in mind that it is rolling weight.

We (my girlfriend and I) took out the boat today. The boat is a 21' Chaparal cabin cruiser with 5.0 Volvo I/O, approximate weight 3,495 pounds plus the weight of about 55 gallons of gas. The trailer is aluminum and dual axles and no brakes. I don't know what the trailer weighs. The boat sits back towards the end of the trailer with what seems like the bulk of the weight over the axles. When I lowered the receiver onto the hitch the back of the M-O only lowered about an inch, if that much. Very little tongue weight as best I can determine. I have not weighed the boat and trailer to see what the actual weight is so it could be more or less than capacity.

Once we were hooked up and checked all the connections, chains and lights, we where off. I locked the AWD on since it automaticaly disengages from 50/50 mode above 18 miles per hour. From a standing start I would start in sport mode up to between 3000 and 4000 RPM then switch to drive mode. The M-O did not complain or struggle one bit. Seems like once the trailer started rolling it was no problem.

I did not drive over 50 miles per hour and gave myself plenty of braking distance between the cars in front of me. I always dropped it into sport mode when stopping. You could feel the disc brakes needing more pressure to stop but not extreme. The M-O did not dive or pull or do anything eratic when braking, just straight and firm. We drove about 20 miles each direction and the ride was outstanding. I expected some swaying or wandering from the M-O or the trailer but I got none. The M-O tracked straight and sure, even over some areas of road construction. The trailer never swayed or pulled back on the M-O at anytime during travel, just the normal resistance from a standing start.

At the ramp (moderate slope, between steep and shallow) the M-O had no problem backing in, no slippage of any kind, brakes stopped firmly. Once the boat was off the trailer, I put the M-O in low and pulled the trailer out with no problem or slippage from any of the tires. Keep in mind I have had the AWD engaged all this time.

Once we got back, I drove the boat up on the trailer and hitched it up nice and tight. This is where I was nervous about the strength of the M-O. I put it in low, made sure I was still in AWD and released the parking brake and slowly pulled it right up the ramp, no slipping or straining or anything, just like it was on level ground moving from a standing start. I was amazed how wonderful the M-O performed. Great vehicle.

The drive back home was uneventful and I was more confident with the M-O when I got back than this morning. We checked everything out once the trailer was unhooked to make sure the hitch did not have any play and everything was secure. I will check all the bolts this week just to be sure before we go out again.

Hope this helps answer some questions but keep in mind that the trailer and the tongue weight will have a lot to do with how the M-O handles the load. I have had boats on single axle trailers that had a lot of tongue weight and would lower the back end of a vehicle considerably.

I will post the pics later this week and you will see what I have been talking about.

Until then, happy hauling .....

fortphil
04-14-2003, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the towing report. I shouldn't have any problem towing my BW Dauntless. Now if only all the ice on our lake would finally melt.

87gta
04-14-2003, 02:52 PM
That's a great report!! Makes me VERY comfortable now with my boat. Like you, I haven't actually weighed it, but I expect it will be 2500 pounds. Since it is likely 1000 pounds lighter than your rig, I should have no issues at all. I think my tounge weight is higher than yours though.

I can't wait - the new Murano should be here this week!!!

Eric

dpct
04-14-2003, 08:15 PM
I tow a 5500 Lbs camper ( not with the M-O). The tongue weight of a trailer should be between 10% and 15% of the total weight. Otherwise you risk significant sway. I've seen trailers doing this, it's really scary.

NitroMan
04-15-2003, 11:20 PM
OK, here are the pics as promised: Click Here (http://www.nitrographix.com/murano)

TopDog
04-15-2003, 11:41 PM
OK, here are the pics as promised: Click Here (http://www.nitrographix.com/murano)

<font color="blue[/img] Nitro, Thanks for the pictures! That is a big boat! It appears to dwarf the Murano! Your narrative about the Murano's pulling prowess has me convinced that it is more than capable for my towing duties! Thanks again for the pictues and information! </font>

NitroMan
04-16-2003, 07:35 AM
Thank's Guys, just having fun. I am posting the pics here just to see if it works, should have done this the first time.

http://www.nitrographix.com/murano/images/m1.jpg

http://www.nitrographix.com/murano/images/m2.jpg

http://www.nitrographix.com/murano/images/m3.jpg

http://www.nitrographix.com/murano/images/m4.jpg

Mike995134
04-16-2003, 10:42 AM
LOL ... I've got the M-O ... now I want your boat http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NitroMan
04-16-2003, 10:44 AM
LOL ... I've got the M-O ... now I want your boat http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Believe it or not, I was going to buy the FX35, but with the 10 grand I saved I bought the boat too ....

87gta
04-16-2003, 12:45 PM
You bought THAT boat for 10 grand???! Wow, I am living in the wrong part of the world! That boat is way bigger than mine, so if you can pull that rig without issue, then I am laughing! Great pics, awesome report! Have fun!!!

I think I might be picking mine up this weekend!!!

Omega_Rains
04-16-2003, 01:38 PM
Awesome pic's I was a little worried about boat towing, but Ii see it's not an issue..

Phen
04-16-2003, 01:58 PM
woo.. looking at the pics.. the boat and the MO.. the MO
is like a small toy car there.. you must have a 20-25 footer..
Good to hear that MO is capable of doing that...... hopefully
it holds up in the run long...

PHEN...

NitroMan
04-16-2003, 02:06 PM
You bought THAT boat for 10 grand???! Wow, I am living in the wrong part of the world! That boat is way bigger than mine, so if you can pull that rig without issue, then I am laughing! Great pics, awesome report! Have fun!!!

I think I might be picking mine up this weekend!!!

Well, what I meant to say was, I put the 10 grand towards the boat ...

It's actually only a 21 footer not counting the swimming platform. The platform makes it look much longer.

MOtivated
04-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Man, I'm shocked that that boat/trailer is less than 3500 pounds...I guess towing anything I'd want to tow will be a non-issue.