PDA

View Full Version : Starter Clicking

Fast240Sx
04-03-2001, 10:13 PM
My 1990 SOHC Monster has got me beat. Last year it developed a problem when you turn the key over you can hear the starter going click, click click but nothing happens. Sometimes if you rock the car back and forth then hit the key it starts up no prob now it wont even do that. I bought the starter last year new. So i thought it might be the starter again so i bought a new one yesterday same deal click click. I bought a new batt and nada nothin. Anyone got any ideas? Please I need to figure this out push starting is becoming a pain in the butt.
Fast240Sx

**DONOTDELETE**
04-03-2001, 10:34 PM
Welcome to my life, I had the same problem for a while.. then I tore apart my dash and checked all my wiring. Here's the problem, you want to make sure you are getting as MUCH voltage as possible to your solenoid. If you dont, you're gonna get that "click" telling you that you dont have enough juice to engage the solenoid.

The fualt in my car was the wire leading to the solenoid. The ignition has a wire that activates the solenoid for the starter.. its not a high-voltage line, but you want to make sure you have a clean lead with little resistance. My wire was all screwed due to the idiot who previously installed my alarm. I basically got rid of the relays (starter kill) and other interruptions by soldering my wire giving me a very clean connection. I then heat-shrinked everything to finish my install.

Try that and let me know if it works. After 3 years of battling, my car FINALLY starts with no problems. This problem pissed me off more than anything.

- Mike

ps: Have you noticed the temperature of when this problem would occur? Mine would appear during hot conditions. My car ALWAYS started when it was cold. However, the problem would reveal itself after driving the car for a while, stopping for 5 minutes, and then starting it again.

pps: If it ever DOES happen to you again, hit the bottom of your dashboard or around the ignition area with your hand.. if it starts, it may be a lose wire. Rather than "re-clicking" over and over, I would hold the ignition down and hit the bottom of my dash. Eventually I'de have enough voltage to engage the solenoid. That helped me pinpoint the problem. CAREFUL! If you dont solve this problem ASAP, you can toast your starter. Everytime you "click" and fail to engage the solenoid.. you slowly burn it up. I went through ATLEAST 6 Bosche high-quality starters. Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by old_s13 (edited 04-03-2001).]

Fast240Sx
04-03-2001, 11:05 PM
Ok, now im gunna try some stuff tommorw cause the guy who owned my 240 before me had an alarm also dam alarms. Anyways, i have to push the Rear Defrost button its the *HOT* key or something then u can turn the key, its all a mess and stuff. i dont know im getting to the point where i want to use a PUSH button starter thingy. Are you refering to the CLIP on wire thats the IGNITION WIRE? Not the Power one from the batt right. thanks
Fast240Sx
Ill let you know if this helps.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-03-2001, 11:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fast240Sx:
Ok, now im gunna try some stuff tommorw cause the guy who owned my 240 before me had an alarm also dam alarms. Anyways, i have to push the Rear Defrost button its the *HOT* key or something then u can turn the key, its all a mess and stuff. i dont know im getting to the point where i want to use a PUSH button starter thingy. Are you refering to the CLIP on wire thats the IGNITION WIRE? Not the Power one from the batt right. thanks
Fast240Sx
Ill let you know if this helps. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are 2 major connections that get "tampered" with. Check the engine bay, on the starter you have 3 connections: one for the battery to the starter, its a very HEAVY cable.. (that should be clean and in good condition). Also on the starter is a smaller wire with a harness at the end, that is for the solenoid. The solenoid is part of the starter, it's a slight buldge on the starter. Make SURE that harness has a good connection. I cut my end and crimped on a higher-quality connector.. the OEM one sucked ballz. Last, be sure to check your dash for tampered ignition wires. One of the wires on the ignition is the same lead that goes to the solenoid. If that line is frayed or has any interruptions, it could be problematic. Like I said, you want ALL connections clean with as little resistance as possible.

What does this all mean? It means bust out the multimeter, some solder, and some time.. because its time for some diagnostics. GOOD LUCK brotha!

- Mike www.clearcorners.com/240SX/ (http://www.clearcorners.com/240SX/)

Fast240Sx
04-04-2001, 12:18 PM
Ok now i cannot even put my batt terminals on cause when i do, they ark. Im not quite getting this i havent checked for other wires yet under the dash but i will, i would like to know if anyone knows why it would ark. Thanks
Fast240Sx

Fast240Sx
04-04-2001, 02:00 PM
OMG, i pulled my dash down and their was a wire nightmare of wires from the previous alarm. What to do hmm. Plus i still have this arking problem. Any more info would be great im at my wits ends wit this problem.
Fast240Sx

Fast240Sx
04-04-2001, 05:36 PM
Well i did what you said Mike and took out the security system and come to find out it was a starter kill relay that was bad, lol i feel like an idiot. But thanks for the info. A year of crap of starting my car and now its all done YES, I LOVE THIS BOARD.
SPECIAL THANKS TO THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THIS BOARD POSSIBLE.
Fast240Sx

**DONOTDELETE**
04-04-2001, 09:30 PM
Starter relay, that will do it. Like I said, you have to pull sh1t apart and start hunting. The arc`ing problem is normal, when you connect the battery you get a small spark.. thats completely normal. Glad to see that you got your car back up and running! You dont have to worry about push-starting your car on the next date you go on now! ;)

- Mike

ps: Dont thank everyone, thank ME -- I am selfish, I am the one who gave you the helping hand damnit! I spent hours typing! Hahah j/k.. just get me an ice-cream or frozen yogurt next time I am in town. Haha..

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fast240Sx:
Well i did what you said Mike and took out the security system and come to find out it was a starter kill relay that was bad, lol i feel like an idiot. But thanks for the info. A year of crap of starting my car and now its all done YES, I LOVE THIS BOARD.
SPECIAL THANKS TO THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THIS BOARD POSSIBLE.
Fast240Sx<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fast240Sx
04-05-2001, 07:36 AM
Well thanks MIKE, you da man. I cannot belive i can start my 240 its sweet now. No cat and all 2.5" Mandrel bent pipe on my SOHC monster u should hear her start up. With the cat on you can see my startup and other misc cool vids at http://www.geocities.com/LoweredHorizon
Fast240Sx