PDA

View Full Version : S13 Running Rich

**DONOTDELETE**
04-04-2001, 12:58 PM
I have recently put on an aftermarket muffler that has tips pointing up. I have noticed that the pipes and my bumper above them have black soot. I beleive this means it is running rich. The only mod's I have are a K&N cone filter, muffler, and recently changed plugs.

BTW, I went to the shop and asked them to check my timing and they said that the ecu controls that. This is incorrect, eh?

Could someone let me know what I need to do to lean my car out?

**DONOTDELETE**
04-04-2001, 01:32 PM
Is it a turbo convertion?

If it is then you have nothing to worry about, think yourself luck my DTM exhaust is melting my bumper!

[This message has been edited by UK200SX (edited 04-04-2001).]

Fast240Sx
04-04-2001, 01:57 PM
Well actually thats only half true. My DTM exhaust left soot on my bumper when i had bad Piston Rings, not to say that urs is but thats what was wrong with mine. And as for the Timing good luck if you have a SOHC than it is controled i belive by the Distributor which i still dont think mine is right. Hope this .02c helps
Fast240Sx

**DONOTDELETE**
04-04-2001, 02:03 PM
It is a DOHC, and after speaking to the mechanic today, they will indeed adjust the distributor to spec. How would you ever find out you had bad piston rings? You would have to explore MANY different options prior to that one, correct?

Yes it is a turbo exhaust, but the engine is not. So far no melting on the bumper.

Fast240Sx
04-04-2001, 02:07 PM
Ive had my DTM on for about a year and no melting. I found out it was my rings when the compression starting going and she started caughing madd smoke and i had 145k on the motor. Come to find out after pulling off a 16.3 wit my SOHC wit everything stock on my car but a ractive cone filter and a CAUGH *glass pack* i blew my motor at the end of the summer. When i had it rebuilt i found out the piston rings were like gone, the #2 piston had it the wall becuase of the wrist pin letting go, and i had a bent valve. Now a 16.3 with all that is pretty good for 145k and all that. And it blew up like 3 months after i dragged it.
Fast240Sx

**DONOTDELETE**
04-04-2001, 09:35 PM
Bumper soot is normal, ESPECIALLY with DTM-style exhausts. 240's are prone to running rich, especially at idle.. this is nothing out of the ordinary. As for timing, just make sure that its all in spec. There is no difference between the SOHC and DOHC in terms of adjusting timing, they both are adjusted via distributor. The only difference is the recommended timing settings, 15 on SOHC, 20 on DOHC.

When adjusting timing, might as well check the rest of the goodies and do a minor tune up: adjust idle, TPS, and timing.. they all come hand-in-hand.

- Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fast240Sx:
Well actually thats only half true. My DTM exhaust left soot on my bumper when i had bad Piston Rings, not to say that urs is but thats what was wrong with mine. And as for the Timing good luck if you have a SOHC than it is controled i belive by the Distributor which i still dont think mine is right. Hope this .02c helps
Fast240Sx<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>