PDA

View Full Version : turbo help, and rebuilt

thatsmekid
01-24-2003, 09:05 PM
i got a great deal on a used HKS GT2530 turbo from a TT 300zx, i'm lookin to have it rebuilt, now here is the question, is there any advantage i should take when having it rebuilt, larger intake trim, exhaust trim,??? anything to make it an even better turbo than it is, also does anyone know of a respectable, knowledgible shop that rebuilts turbo, thanks

ThanatosZ
01-24-2003, 09:16 PM
Well from my understanding ball bearing turbo's are very pricey to rebuild. Is the turbo blown?

Hugh
01-24-2003, 09:17 PM
$600-1000 estimate.

thatsmekid
01-24-2003, 09:29 PM
the turbo still looks goos, there is no shaft play, but mileage is unknown, just want to take advantage of anything that can be taken, i didn't pay much for the turbo though, thats why i'm thinkin of a rebuilt from my savings

Hugh
01-24-2003, 09:31 PM
If it ain't blown, don't fix it. It's a lot of money to do it.

thatsmekid
01-24-2003, 09:55 PM
so you're sayin just run it the way it is if not broke, like the sayin "if it aint broke, don't fix it" what upgrade would you suggest to go with an hks turbo, i have injectors, mafs, to go with it, would a s-afc handle it for a while? also i been lookin to the hks vpc, what do u think? where can i get one of those anyways if i wanted to get one, maybe used, cuz those things are damn expensive

asad
01-24-2003, 10:18 PM
These ball bearing turbos can't be rebuilt -- you have to buy a new CHRA (that's the center housing, bearings, AND wheels).

Ball-bearing turbos are supposed to be much more durable than standard ones. Its unlikely that the turbo is blown unless it has been severely abused.

Asad

Hugh
01-24-2003, 10:21 PM
Asad can always put it into words.

ThatsmeKid, do you know how to tune a motor? (turbo especially?)

Maybe you should be looking at a professional tune? No disrespect if it came out wrong.. but putting on a VPC or something is not a beginner job.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-24-2003, 11:15 PM
I'm sure he can always learn from mistakes. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

thatsmekid
01-24-2003, 11:54 PM
no offense taken, turbo tuning is new to us, we mainly do n/a honda motor, i'm new to tuning sr's, and a buddy of mine ran a vpc on his 11 sec. supra, so it was just a curiousity.