PDA

View Full Version : SR tranny problem:Toasted TObearing carrier,w/pics

**DONOTDELETE**
01-27-2003, 02:05 AM
Hey guys, I'm a long time lurker, but now I have a problem worthy of the experts. I finished my swap about 6 months ago, it's been running pretty good, except the clutch setup has always been a problem.

My motor came with an OS Giken twin disc clutch, which was great, but loves to cause problems. The most recent was for some reason, as you'll see in the pics, the TO bearing carrier has been melted and thrashed.

There is about 1mm if that, of play on the input shaft, and the clutch finger look a bit scratched but that's understandable considering the condition to the TO bearing and carrier.

The problem started after it was a bit wet out and I got on it hard in 2nd, it broke the rear loose at around 4000 and caused a bit of shaking. Nothing that hasn't happened before quite a few times. SO any ideas how this could've happened? Looking at the damage, something must be moving around pretty good to cause it to catch and tear it apart like it did.

Any help is appreciated.

Pics:
http://www.northwestnissans.com/test/gerry1.jpg
http://www.northwestnissans.com/test/gerry2.jpg
http://www.northwestnissans.com/test/gerry3.jpg
http://www.northwestnissans.com/test/gerry4.jpg

Kookz
01-27-2003, 02:13 AM
Does the bearing still spin? It looks as if the bearing seized...

You can join my "Hate the TO carrier" club, mine kept my car off the road for most of my winter break.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-27-2003, 02:17 AM
Uhhh, no the bearing, although it has obviously been cooked, it still turns, although not smoothly.

It's an NSK bearing number, not the same as the regular TO bearing, it's a special one for this clutch.

The cooked bearing now has that nice blueish tinge you get on stainless steel from being heated up excessively.

So has this happened to you? What did you do to fix it and what caused it?

And hey, does anyone know if the SR and KA carrier are the same? I need a new one, and looks like I'll have to go to the dealership for it, so I need to know if they're the same. I assume they are.

Kookz
01-27-2003, 04:33 AM
I just cracked mine trying to remove the TO bearing. If they do end up being the same, I have a one that I ordered but came too late and I had to go to a junkyard. Hell I even have a brand new TO bearing from a Spec clutch...but all this is for KA.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-27-2003, 12:49 PM
What should I expect to be paying for something like this anyway? It's not your typical replacement part is it:)?

Kookz
01-27-2003, 12:52 PM
Hmmm, mine was about $20 for OEM, I would think that the parts (if that's a normal SR carrier) are the same, since the transmission's are the same besides the bellhousing.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-27-2003, 02:23 PM
Well, I made some calss, cause stuff is actually open today, and I found the parts....maybe. I have a new TO bearing on the way, and I can get the carrrier for a 240 in the next day or so, but I still don't know if it's the same part. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I still really need to know if anyone has seen anything like this before. I mean, I can throw in new parts, but if it just happens again, what's the point?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-27-2003, 09:01 PM
SO I talked with some more experienced guys about this and we found the mutilated piece of metal was actually part of my tranny:) Yay!

It's actually the sleeve that the carrier rides on, and the bearing must've gotten really hot and for some reason welded them together, and on the next shift, it tore everything apart. SO the new cover is on order from nissan. Hopefully the KA cover is the same, if not, I have to go with a 280ZX cover, and do some machine work to make it fit.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

'97 S14 SE Turbo
01-27-2003, 09:06 PM
FYI: Before you get too far ahead with the KA TO bearing carrier, you need to contact OS Giken or someone else that knows...

Typically, for the multiple plate clutch, they specify a different length TOB carrier. You need to make sure you are getting the right length.

Exedy's catalog shows the full listing of Nissan TOB carrier, and which ones to use for their clutch. You need to find out which size/part number is the right one to use.

If the carrier is too long, you clutch will never fully engage. Too short, it will never fully disengage.

This is critical to have a functional clutch system!

(all these info is from me researching using RB20DET's clutch for the KA...)

S13wannabe
01-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Just to further reinterate what was just said above, you definitely need to contact Giken, or at least do some research on the TOB that goes with their clutch. It's generally not exceptable to use an OEM spec TOB with an aftermarket clutch. And if you do, you have a good chance of ending up back in the same boat. I had something similar happen to me on a domestic car. One of the tabs on the TOB housing cracked, and caused everything to go out of balance, all but 3 of the fingers on the pressure plate got chewed off. So, make sure you get the right stuff, OEM in combination with aftermarket is not a good combo with clutches. Good Luck, hope you get everything fixed.