PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild or buy new one?

Meeks32
04-08-2001, 08:32 PM
How much do you guys think it would be to have a KA rebuilt? Or would it just be better to buy a used one with like 25k on it? I wont need to do ethier any time soon since mine has 117k on it & doesnt burn any oil, but im just trying to get an idea on what I should do when it comes time to do so. Can you bore out the KA much or would it weaken the cylinder walls?

**DONOTDELETE**
04-08-2001, 08:41 PM
Depends on who does the work. If you have a mechanic do it, expect to pay 1000+, its labor intensive. If you do it yourself, allow plenty of time. I spent a month rebuilding my head while cleaning up and modding all sorts of strange areas of the engine bay. Rebuilding the head only cost me 150-200 bucks.. not bad. I also did the timing chain and replaced every single hose, vacuum and fuel line. Added electric fans, tapped in sensors.. the works. I'll tell you this much, my SOHC runs like a million bucks.

- Mike www.clearcorners.com/240SX/ (http://www.clearcorners.com/240SX/)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Meeks32:
How much do you guys think it would be to have a KA rebuilt? Or would it just be better to buy a used one with like 25k on it? I wont need to do ethier any time soon since mine has 117k on it & doesnt burn any oil, but im just trying to get an idea on what I should do when it comes time to do so. Can you bore out the KA much or would it weaken the cylinder walls? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meeks32
04-08-2001, 08:49 PM
A month rebuilding your head? It takes that much work, or was that just off & on. I havent rebuilt an engine or really know that much about it to atempt it myself, but that seems like along time to do to rebuild one.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-08-2001, 08:50 PM
you shouldn't do the rebuild yourself if its your only car, unless you can do it over a weekend.

Plus if you take care of your car you should get at least another 100k out of it. I had over 200k with my last 240 and it ran fine. So it might take you 4-5 years(or more) to put that many miles on your car, plenty of time for you to save up for a rebuild.