PDA

View Full Version : KA problems-need some help please!!

Dousan_PG
01-28-2003, 04:45 PM
my 92 completely stock KA24DE is acting up
when i put it into nuetral the RPM drops and the engine dies (also dies when in gear and clutch in)-dies when rpms are too low
have to keep my foot on the pedal and keep it around 1500 to stay alive (i can go lower but 1500 iseasy to hold at)
the engine when accelerating is sort of 'chugging' and same on deaccell. feels pretty bad cuz i have a2 way diff so the entire back 'hops' on deaccel. when accelerating it chugs as well sometimes.

it started doing it today (right now)
engine is 100% stock
oil is ok
i use 91 ocatane
time is set at 20 degrees
fuel filter was changed somewhat recently

i didnt have a chance to pull the plugs yet (will do tonight)
what else should i look into as a possible problem?

also its been 'loping' at idle for a while now before this problem. most noticeably on saturday at dd4

any help is appreciated!
thanks!

'97 S14 SE Turbo
01-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Get a can of throttle/carb cleaner and use it liberally on the throttle body, and into the tube feeding the IACV... Get both the TB and the IACV clean. Over time carbon/gunk will build up, making it more difficult to control idle.

orion
01-28-2003, 05:36 PM
Sounds like a vacuum leak - Get a gauge and check to see what the vacuum is at idle...

Good luck - Brian

gunluvS14
01-28-2003, 05:40 PM
yeah.. vaccum leak I say... but that carb cleaning idea will work, it works on my KA.. solved the stumbblin jumping idle.

Dousan_PG
01-28-2003, 05:49 PM
ooh good idea. thanks!!!!!
i cleaned out the air filter and idle'd ok but still did that loping. ill check the vacuum lines next tonight! as well as the tb/IACV cleaning!

anything else please let me know. i appreicate the help!

s0ldats
03-03-2003, 08:57 PM
i have the same exact problem....did you fix it dousan??

Jonny_290
03-03-2003, 09:35 PM
i had this same exact problem when i slammed on my brakes this weekend. The vacuum line has a butt connector (splice) right above the engine, and that separated. If you notice a partial loss of braking assistance, it's a vacuum leak. hm.

s0ldats
03-04-2003, 09:27 PM
where will i find the aiv valve to clean it? anyone got a picture or diagram?

240ofTerrorr
03-05-2003, 04:52 AM
sounds like alternator going out.... thats what mine was doing when it went out... i was in the pouring ass rain, had to keep running defroster (which means AC runs) w/electric fan... so gaddam thing was overheating, and i could only run one electrical thing at a time (either wipers, or blower motor or headlights or engine.. haha) and basically ended up keeping it running while stuck in mad traffic on the freeway for 45 min. and finally died, and i had to coast across 5 lanes of jammed traffic in the pouring rain and then spent the next 4 hours freezing my soaked butt off inside my car waiting for AAA... but anyway, sounds like alternator to me...