PDA

View Full Version : Air Question

JayhaVVKU
01-30-2003, 01:54 PM
Hey guys, it's been a while. I've got a 98 white 240 SE, anyway, I had a question about my AC/Heat system.

Whenever I turn it on(AC or Heat) it will only start blowing air when I turn it all the way up to level 4, it will not come on at 1, 2, or 3. This is true for both AC and Heat.

I've checked fuses, that kind of general stuff, but was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I hope I don't have to do some major repair, money isn't a good thing right now.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Dan

LOwrestling2001
01-30-2003, 01:58 PM
funny one of the SE's i was checkin out had the same problem (not 98 tho)...i think u just have to change that switch or taht whole climate control piece which is really easy...u just snap off teh cover (w the hazard and defrost buton) with a screw driver or u can gently pull by hand...then unscrew the climate controls..

JayhaVVKU
01-30-2003, 02:02 PM
Hm...well the little lever thing itself doesn't seem loose, it's not like it skips over individual numbers or anything.

asad
01-30-2003, 02:13 PM
There's a resistor pack in the HVAC control system that controls the fan speed. It's not uncommon for the resistors to burn out, leaving you only with the highest speed (= no resistor). You'll have to pull out the controls and take a look-see.

Asad

JayhaVVKU
01-30-2003, 03:33 PM
Hey, thanks a bunch. I'll check that resistor out and see if it's the guy causing the trouble.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-30-2003, 03:38 PM
Most likely is your problem. I had the same problem before and what Asad said is it.

Kookz
01-30-2003, 03:41 PM
Also do us all a favor and don't post the same question in both Basic and Advanced.

LanceArmstrong
01-30-2003, 06:03 PM
On an s13, the resistor is in the AC evaporator box. It's right behind the glovebox.

JayhaVVKU
01-31-2003, 11:59 PM
Well I popped off the center console, and unscrewed the climate control box with all the little buttons and so on. My question is how do I get to the resistor in the box? Are there screws or something I can pop off? And furthermore, how will I know it's blown?

Thanks

Kookz
02-01-2003, 12:25 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
And furthermore, how will I know it's blown?

[/QUOTE] Because your fan switch only works on 4.

JayhaVVKU
02-01-2003, 12:36 AM
Ok, right, well I mean as opposed to being loose or whatever. Anyway, you didn't answer my main question which is how to get to it.

Along those same lines, What about a digital climate control. I've seen them on Ebay and I believe it would take some re-wiring to get it to work, but how extensive is it? I tried searching but I can't get anything older than 1 month to come up. Anyway if there are diagrams or anything that would be cool.

Now I see another post just started about this, let's get some info on here.

240Lunatic
02-01-2003, 04:35 PM
Others have posted in the past that in addition to having the electronic climate control you also need the sensors that relay temp information, a few inside the cabin and one from the engine bay. Oh, and I think the AC blower (or whatever it is called) because it has some extra flap. In other words, unless you have a JDM front clip, probably too much work and money.

Sean

JayhaVVKU
02-01-2003, 06:10 PM
Ok, but back to the resistor. Is it inside the control unit itself and if so how do I get to it?

LanceArmstrong
02-01-2003, 11:09 PM
To quote myself from above:

"On an s13, the resistor is in the AC evaporator box. It's right behind the glovebox. "

Maybe it's the same on the s14.