PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent oil light (brightens w/RPM)

MikeDeuce
02-03-2003, 02:41 AM
Hey folks,

Not sure about this one, but my oil light has just started to come on. It's very dim and gets brighter w/RPM. At cruising speed the light tends to go back to its dim state or completely off.

It's my understanding that the oil pressure on the SOHC 240sx is an on/off switch -- not variable. *If* this is correct I'm hoping it's a simple electrical issue, but does anyone know for sure?

P.S. I just replaced a blown head gasket, but the motor did not overheat and all tolerances have been checked. This problem did not occur until 2 days afterwards.

thanks in advance

Society_Mike
02-03-2003, 03:16 AM
uh, check your oil? Seriously.
You didn't say whether or not you checked it.
You just said you blew a head gasket.
Did you rebuild allready?
Test the coolant for oil?
Leak down test in coolant system?
Leakdown in combustion chamber?

MikeDeuce
02-03-2003, 03:41 AM
Yes... oil has been checked several times, and changed several times (3 times today alone) since the BHG has been replaced, just to get all the crap out of the motor.

The cooling system has been thoroughly back flushed multiple times as well to get rid of all the oil in the system.

Also, compression in all cylinders is well within spec.

Basically, it was perfectly fine when we first started the car and ran it, so i'm thinking it's something to do with the connection from the oil pressure sensor becasue it's really odd that it would get brighter with RPM since the oil press should really rise.

Any confirmation re: the pressure light is variable or not would also be appreciated. Thanks

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 03:54 AM
Mike-

KA24E oil pressure switch is a "switch" and not variable. So basically if it drops below the preset pressure it will come on...it should not be "dim" and get brighter...but some more insight on this topic is needed.

-- Peter

MikeDeuce
02-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Thanks Peter...

Any other opinions on the pressure sensor? I guess I could rule it out quickly by just getting a new one but if anyone's seen a similar issue before, please let me know.

spoolinaz
02-03-2003, 05:46 PM
possible short in the sending circuit?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 06:05 PM
see..that's what i'm thinking...but dont want to take any chances that the oil press is acutally low. Maybe it's time for a mechinical gauge.

- Peter

grinder
02-03-2003, 10:22 PM
maybe your have something blocking your oil pickup.

someone pulled apart their pan and found glass inside it one time. (they still don't know how it got in there!)

MikeDeuce
02-04-2003, 02:05 PM
Well it's cheaper than a mechanical oil gauge http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif... Guess it's time to lift the KA. Thanks for the response

grinder
02-05-2003, 12:11 AM
don't forget to get some gasketing material for your pan :P

it'd suck to pop it off and forget all about it.. btw, u might have to drop your cross member, be ready to do a front end alignment also.