PDA

View Full Version : Can't Start my brand new Murano!!!

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 03:18 PM
<font color="blue[/img] I have been very excited about my brand new Murano I purchase about 10 days ago. Midnight Blue SL AWD with Charcoal Leather!!!

I was looking forward to take it out on my first snowboard trip with the car this weekend, when all of a sudden the Murano refused to start. (It makes the sound like when the batteries are dead - wanting to turn over, but never catches and starts). Batteries are fine, so I thought it maybe the Vehicle Immobilizer System that was faulty. But even after reprogramming the keys, it will start up but then turn off by itself in 30 secs or so.

Dealer has kept the car for a couple days now....and they said they are trying to figure out the exact problem. (BTW, the car is at a dealer that I was closest to at the time, not at the one that I purchased from)

Has anyone ran across or heard of this problem? Could this be a first year glitch, bad luck or a little bit of both? Is there anyway to prevent this from happening again? Can I complain to Nissan or the dealer to have some resolution to this?

Thank you all!

- Eliot "a very excited and proud but frustrated Murano owner" </font color>

Mike995134
02-03-2003, 03:45 PM
Oh man that's terrible http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

Sorry ... but keep us posted as to what you find out. I haven't heard anything like this about the M-O.

cpete
02-03-2003, 07:42 PM
Sounds like the same thing that happened to my truck this year. Turned out to be the Fuel Pump. Hard to believe it would fail brand new. Let us know what it turns out to be.

</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
But even after reprogramming the keys, it will start up but then turn off by itself in 30 secs or so.

[/QUOTE] On second read of your post it sounds like something other than the Fuel Pump.

Chris

jaak
02-03-2003, 08:21 PM
Early failures are know as "infant mortality". Not the best phrase you want to hear, but if you were to look at failures in the life of a product, there are fair bit when a product is new, usually due to a manufacturing flaw or material flaw and then it drops right off and creeps up again as the product ages.

I wouldn't sweat it. Get it fixed and I'd be surprised if you had any more issues. (Assuming they fix it right the first time.)

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 11:14 PM
Maybe the computer died in it.

NissT
02-04-2003, 12:20 AM
I agree. Every new model car has "bugs" when it comes out. Don't worry, it will be fixed/replaced.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Thank you everyone for your insight! ^^

Well I did get my Murano back...however, the DID NOT fix anything! They said it started fine, and did a bunch of tests and tried to call factories and technicians, but there were no known problems.

My car does start fine now, but since nothing was fixed, I am not so sure if it will happen again. I am leaning towards a fuel pump problem as well that I'm gonna get checked out...When I leave the gear in Park("P"), the RPM keeps going up and down between 500 and 1000, instead of staying steady. Also, I can feel a bit of jerking when this happens....

In slow speeds (RPM 1250 - 1500) this jerking happens here and there also.....

Do you agree with the fuel pump theory? Augh annoying first year bug and bad luck to happen to mine http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif

jaak
02-04-2003, 12:53 PM
Sorry to hear you're having grief, as hopefully you'll love it once they sort that out. I don't recall ever seeing mine do that, but I'll watch for it.

Gr8wall
02-04-2003, 12:55 PM
stupid question but did you check if they put super in the car. the car runs like [censored] on the cheap stuff. my dealer gave me a free tank of gas woopeee, but it was the cheap stuff, when i filled with super o man what a diff....

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2003, 01:03 PM
I actually filled up my tank a few times with gas, and I always use Super....

cpete
02-04-2003, 02:35 PM
We've never put anything but 87 octane in ours. The car seems to run fine on it. Performance is good and fuel economy is good. We're currently averaging 21 mpg normal driving. I'll be the test mule when it comes to gas. I have no intention of putting Supreme in it unless I have to. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif

Chris

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Put 87 Octane in my first fill up and it runs fine. Going to try next higher grade to see if gas mileage improves enough to justify the cost. Looks like you need about 3 mpg more for the better grade to justify the expense. Getting about 18.5 mostly city/ some highway driving with 400 miles on vehicle.

manx54
02-04-2003, 04:39 PM
In the old days, I might have guessed an intermittent contact in the ignition system or the ground return. But I have no idea how cars work any more these days http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

drclaws
02-04-2003, 07:32 PM
The 30 second delay had me wondering about a malfunctioning security cutoff system to the fuel pump.

Taylormade
02-05-2003, 04:37 AM
I've used both 87 and 93 octane gas on a 700 mile trip and found no noticeable diffference in performance or fuel economy.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-05-2003, 03:21 PM
<font color="blue[/img] Ok, now my car is unable to start again, and I had to take a taxi cab home (which is 60 miles away from work)

Maybe I should not have driven the car before taking it to another dealer for inspection...but should I now start thinking about the Lemon Law?

The dealer that I purchased from came all the way down to tow it, but I don't feel secure about my Murano anymore

- Eliot </font color>

**DONOTDELETE**
02-06-2003, 11:48 AM
<font color="blue[/img]
Well the dealer just called me and said that the car had an issue with the bolt holding the "Ground Wire". Which can cause electrical problems of
- Car not starting
- RPM not being stable in idle or low RPM positions (500rpm - 1200 rpm), as well as jerking motions and light flickering

The dealer said that they have notified the manufacturer for such problems. Looks like no-one here experienced it, but just something to keep in mind....

Hopefully now I can enjoy my Murano with peace of mind http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

</font color>

Mike995134
02-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Sure hope that this takes care of the problem. Sometimes the smallest thing causes such headaches. Sorry that you've had these problems http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif ... but man, when you gets your back on the road it really is so much fun to drive.

Printerman
02-07-2003, 09:19 PM
Hi:

Sorry to hear about your problem..

Do you know where the bolt is?????

Thanks...

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-11-2003, 10:22 AM
<font color="blue[/img]
I am not quite sure...all I knew was that it connects the "Ground Wire" and it was loose, which caused the problem </font color>