PDA

View Full Version : Neato brake upgrade

rocksco_ultraPEZ
02-04-2003, 08:40 PM
I dont know if anyone has posted this before (search is down .. ) but this looks like an interesting brake upgrade for the S chassis. I would like to find some 2 peice rotors for it though, the stock vr-4 rotors must be pretty heavy. At 12.7 its 0.1 inch smaller then the e46 M3 brakes and they slow that pig down pretty good, and they look good in 18" and 19" wheels http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

also i remember seeing something about using supra brakes on a S chassis. does anyone have any info on this

http://www.zfilms.org/Stories/Z32/2002/01/

Rock
97 K's

Mav1178
02-04-2003, 08:50 PM
A few comments...

Glenn Nakata wrote about this in a post on the 240SX mailing list; he commented that one of the users who used the rotors had the rotor shear off near the center hat. I have the email saved at home; it was more of an issue with the specific rotor used than anything else. The only other problem is that this setup pushes your calipers OUT about 10-15mm (so much so that stock Z32 wheels needed a 10-15mm spacer to clear the calipers). This would have a huge impact on wheel selection.

And just personal opinion........ do you push your car so hard that you find Z32 brakes inadequate? If not, then the money spent is sort of wasted. Z32 brakes on a 2700lb car is already overkill as-is; I'd spend the money on a good set of EBC Reds before any big rotor upgrade.

-alex

Wiisass
02-04-2003, 09:04 PM
There was talk about this on the amarok list a few months ago. One concern I remember was about using good rotors because someone had said that they used no-name rotors and they got really messed up really quick. Another thing was that using the bigger rotors there was less bite because of the angle the caliper was moved to. But no one was really able to say that it wasn't an impovement over Z rotors. I think Asad was using supra rotors with Z calipers.

Tim

edit: Come on Alex you couldn't let me say it first so I could sound smart too.

iHATEstupidity
02-04-2003, 11:07 PM
incorrect, they were custom-built, two-piece rotors with aluminum hats. quite a few pounds lighter than a single-piece, cast rotor.

THINK

flip240
02-04-2003, 11:48 PM
Gah, that sounds boring, I'd rather spend my time fab'ing cooling ducts

Nils
02-05-2003, 12:21 AM
I have been road racing the 240 for 2 years now and the 300z brakes work so great, why use anything else?

Get the 300zx rotors & calipers, some Carbotech XP or porterfield R4 pads and make some brake ducting and you'll be out braking most cars at any track.

I would also like to add that the price of some used 300zx rotors and calipers are extremely cheap from a junkyard, making road racing (the 240) very feasable for people who dont make alot of money.

If you want to be different or cool or to make a showcar... that is a different story, more power to you =)

take care,
nils

White_240sx
02-05-2003, 01:49 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
also i remember seeing something about using supra brakes on a S chassis. does anyone have any info on this

[/QUOTE]

The ‘Global’ kit allows use of the JZA80 rotor with the UCF30 caliper(same/similar to the Supra caliper?). The only downside to this is that the pad has less area than the Z32 pad and calipers for a Supra or LS430 aren't easily available. All said and done cost wise you could probably almost have bought the Stop-Tech kit and had a better braking system.

I believe that Global(Project Mu too maybe?) also sells a kit that adapts the Z32 caliper to the JZA80 rotor.