PDA

View Full Version : TB cleaning

nonissan
02-06-2003, 12:19 PM
when i owned a probe, there was a procedure for cleaning out the throttle body via a vacuum hose into the intake while the car was running. you would use CARB cleaner, and it had to be aerosol carb cleaner, not throttle body cleaner. anywho, you would slowly feed half the bottle of cleaner through the vacuum line and then, somehow (i forget how, i think by pinching the vacuum line?) get the car to die. you would start it back up and a huge puff of carbon would billow from your exhaust. then you would repeat with the last half of the bottle. i never got to do this before my probe was totalled. but with all the gunk probably in my 240's system, my question (finally):
-is there a similar procedure for our cars, or do i have to settle for removing the mafs and throttle body and cleaning them off-car and thus ignoring the rest of my intake/exhaust system. my car feels like it's congested, like it needs to "blow its nose" of carbon build-up

Hugh
02-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Get a friend to sit in the car and run it.

Pull the intake hose off the throttle body and use carburetor cleaner. When your friend starts the car, have him rev it up a little to open the throttle boy, then start spraying the carb cleaner directly on the black buildup in the butterfly/TB housing, etc... Use half a can or so and this should be sufficient. It blows some nasty smoke, so make sure your exhaust is not pointing towards an open window to your house.

This method works on a hot wire MAF engine because the air flow meter sends the fuel, if you have it disconnected, the only fuel available is the carb cleaner itself.

You could also use automatic tranny fluid with Dexron. Just stick a vacuum line from the intake manifold in it and suck half the bottle through. This won't clean the throttle body though. Be forewarned: This will blow white smoke. If you have a cat installed, it gets caught up in the cat and takes 15 minutes or so to burn off.

This is great for emissions if you have a smog check coming up.

Diversewon
03-19-2003, 07:14 PM
what exactly does the atf w/ dexron do when sucked in through vac line? I just did it to my car , an SR s13, and i let it run for 20 min after and it is still smoking. what are the benefits of doing this?

rextreme
03-19-2003, 07:55 PM
ATF has detergents in it that will help clean off carbon deposits.