PDA

View Full Version : Various suspension questions

spite
02-08-2003, 10:06 PM
I'm looking at getting a nice suspension for this spring. What kind I still have to determine. I've got a few questions, if some of you could answer I'd be grateful.

1. What is the difference between a drift suspension like the HEs and the regular HAs? Where do kits like the type Flex, Zeal B6 or the various JIC setups fit? I'm looking at getting a more typical suspension.

2. I don't need coilovers, but I want them. I guess I like having the best, and I also like the convenience of being able to swap out coilovers with pillowball mounts for winter. Besides, coilovers tend to be stiffer. To be honest, my preferred solution would be a stiff (not quite race-stiff, about HA-stiff), non-coilover setup with upper mounts.

3. Umm... any suggestions? Flames? Mindful criticisms?

Dorifto_PG
02-08-2003, 10:08 PM
AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! More coilover questions! haha j/k. I dont have time to explain just read the few posts below.. i kinda talk about that there.. do a search! yes! the last moth. Coilovers. you will get like 80- results...

spite
02-08-2003, 10:25 PM
Thanks, I tried the search. I still had those two questions left though, since there seems to be a fair bit of disagreement about what's a good street setup compared to one for the track (ie, people with HEs getting stiffer springs.) I'm tempted to go Flex, but they sound about as soft as my old Tein NAs were on the Prelude. Oh, I'm also pretty unclear about which (if any) suspension kits are designed for drifting or regular driving.

Dorifto_PG
02-09-2003, 06:17 AM
Drifting suspensions just utilize short stroke dampers (due to "drifters" having their cars extra much low. Here is what a suspension for drifting, imo, should include, and not be without:

Short stroke dampers
Independant ride height adjustablilty
Adjustable damping force
Stiff spring rates... imo at least 8/6. 10/10 is not uncommon, but not much above that really.
Good quality is important to me, 'cause if you think about it, the suspension is under constant abuse and is the most iportant part in drifting (well most motorsports).

Just read everyone's opinions on their suspension setups, research prices, and formulate a system that will fit your needs the best. Here are some people's suspensions that I know off the top of my head that put drifting at the forefront of their car's use.

Aaron (Dousan)-Tein HE 8/6, wants 9/8
Me-JIC FLT-A2 8/7, wants 9/8
BJones (Kookburraz)-Apexi N1 '99 spec (tsk tsk) 8/6
Mike (VRTElektrique)-Apex NI Pro 9/7 (iirc)
Charlie (Driftheaven)-had FLT-A2's 8/9, now runs Cusco Comp 2's iirc 10/9(?) I forget chalie's specs...
Benson (SilEightyManiaSPL)-last i heard he had HKS type.
Jim (DriftinJim)-Tein HE 8/6
Danny (DriftingPanda)- blown shocks and cut springs! woo woooo that boy rocks the DD4, man.

Conclusion... well those ar some examples off of my head. Basically, as Danny can attest to, its all about Driver skill.
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

spite
02-09-2003, 01:20 PM
That's the thing though, I don't want a drifting suspension... I prefer 'grip', as they say. Since so many suspension kits for the 240 seem to be made for drift, I wanted to eliminate the ones that were, and find out what makes a suitable one for drifting so I could avoid it :P I don't think I could afford the tires if I went around drifting every corner http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Dorifto_PG
02-09-2003, 01:21 PM
I should say that in my above post, those suspension examples were for someone vey good at drifting that is looking for more speed/control/adjustability.

i learned on a stock set up, and in many respects this is ery good. It is so much harder to drift on a stock set-up. This will show if you are dedicated enough to learn how to drift with a disadvantaged setup. If you still like it, and can start pulling off harder and harder moves (Chokudori with n open diff was wrose than getting your teeth smashed in with a rock), then when you finally upgrade your setup, you will be "overqualified" asd I like to call it, and have an understanding of the car and controlling it much better. I guess it just helps to faster, better progression.

Be a good driver... best drift setup by far.

Dorifto_PG
02-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Ahh i just saw your most recent post (you snake, you snuck it by between my last one..)

Anyway, suspensions for grip are much the same as drift, its how you attack corners and/or set the valving that determines how the suspension wil handle. Sometimes, grip setups are a little softer, from what i have seen, but if you have sticky rubber, a stiff suspension is great for grip. Drift and grip are very similar, and their differences (although they appear different by a lot) are very small. Many fastest lines in grip racing are at a slight slip angle. Tire life is decreased somewhat, but this angle, or range of angles, is effectively called a "racing drift" by some people. It is a baby step to a full blown countered-like-all-hell show type drift. Seting your suspension adjustments to suit your style will produce the best combo... ther are good suspension qualities for drift, but not necessarily a suspension exclusively for it.

Dousan_PG
02-09-2003, 01:30 PM
haha..
please no posers
unless you like

adjusting coilovers (meaning taking off the wheel and on and off and on) for a few hours, coilovers arent for you

if you dont like toying and trying new things, then coilovers arent for you.

if you dont go to the track or make any real use then coilovers arent for you

if you enjoying posing w/ your drift car and never actually drifitng, then coilovers..arent' fro you

if you like that TUCKED looked, but run stock wheels, then, yourcar isnt for you

haha..exit jerk mode

dont get coilvoers if you have no use for them. get sportlines or prokits or something.

you need to research more.
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
I also like the convenience of being able to swap out coilovers with pillowball mounts for winter

[/QUOTE]

EH? doesnt make sense. you can do that with ANY suspension set up!

not quite race-stiff, about HA-stiff

[/QUOTE]

no way! are you serious? then i HIGHLY recommend Tein HA...if im not mistaken,they are about HA stiff too!

WHO WUDDA THUNK?!

I still had those two questions left though, since there seems to be a fair bit of disagreement about what's a good street setup compared to one for the track (ie, people with HEs getting stiffer springs.)

[/QUOTE]

wtf are you talkignabout???! everyone agrees basically.
flex==EXCELLENT for street and track use
HE=more seious on track use, and street use.people who use HEs daily drive but also FREQUENT the track or make good use oof them. trust me, u dont want your gf (or bf) riding your car and having to take a piss every 2 hours, becuse with stiff springrates that what happens. i drove from so clai or central friday and had to stop 3 times to piss. but its ok, i go to the track at least 2 times a month or more.
anywyas, FLEX best for street and some track use! same FUNTIONS AS HE!!

bwalker240 has Flex and he drifts wonderfully and smoothly as well as daily drives his car.
Ni_jee has Apex (i forgot what kind) and he does the same.
jdmrice has HA and does great at the track on the drift as well.
driftingpanda (danny) 4 blow shocks and intrax springs and he f'in owned the dd4.

Since so many suspension kits for the 240 seem to be made for drift

[/QUOTE]

WTF are you talking about?? no......

I don't think I could afford the tires if I went around drifting every corner

[/QUOTE]

you shouldnt be drifting around every corner. that's illlegal and dangerous. there are other people in the streets. please dont street drift. espeically w/ yourlack of skill

you want something PERFECT for drift AND grip and drag?

forget the coilovers.

BUY AN LSD!!! 1.5 way is PERFECT for
drag
drift
grip
auto-x

you DONT NEED COILOVERS for what you want to do.

but u will need a LSD eventually. invest in one. the best money on your car you can spend.

spite
02-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Uh, why don't you read carefully before you start flaming.

A). I'm not making a drift car.
B). I don't want a drift car.
C). I have no intention of drifting my car.
D). I have no interest in pretending to be a drifter.
E). My budget is quite limited, but I refuse to use average components and then be so dissatisfied I replace them 2 years later.
F). My car is going to slowly evolve into a track car.

Now, thanks for your opinion on the Flex/HEs. You could have really saved yourself the effort of trying to look 'l33t' and cool, if you'd just said that instead of pretending to be hardcore and a critic of anyone who asks questions.

JimStinksAtDorifto
02-09-2003, 08:52 PM
wtf are you talkignabout???! everyone agrees basically. flex==EXCELLENT for street and track use
HE=more seious on track use

[/QUOTE]

What I don't get.
HA is 6/5
Flex is 5/4
HE is 8/6

and yet Flex is the best suited for street and track, even tho it is the softest. 280/224 doesn't seem like it'd be enough for track. Does FLEX have some crazy good valving or something? I've noticed all the FLEX models are softer than the predecessor models.

BTW, I have heard of, but not seen, the new Tein product that lets you adjust ride height whilst you drive. Anybody have a url?

spite
02-09-2003, 10:20 PM
What I don't get.
HA is 6/5
Flex is 5/4
HE is 8/6

and yet Flex is the best suited for street and track, even tho it is the softest. 280/224 doesn't seem like it'd be enough for track. Does FLEX have some crazy good valving or something? I've noticed all the FLEX models are softer than the predecessor models.

[/QUOTE]

What he means is it's a good compromise between comfort for the street and stiffness for the track. Obviously the HAs and HEs are better on the track, but they're not as streetable.

Dorifto_PG
02-09-2003, 10:46 PM
Not to be rude, but does anyone check manufacturer's websites anymore?

http://www.tein.com

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

JimStinksAtDorifto
02-10-2003, 02:10 AM
well duh. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif I looked there before posting but cannot find the ride height product, only the edfc.