PDA

View Full Version : ka24turbo? or sr20det?

mechaniac
04-17-2001, 09:49 PM
I basically fell in love with the sr20det motor and the s13silvia. But after spending time reading the posts on this forum, I'm kind of confused. Will the stock ka24 handle as much boost as the sr? which is more reliable without going for a piston/rod build up. Which makes more power? Why should I consider just turboing the stock KA, over swwapping in a SR? Thanks.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-17-2001, 09:58 PM
it's a tough choice, flat out

they cost about the same
they make about the same amount of power
(no the KA can't handle more PSI than a sr20det, stock speaking)
if you have the DE then I would say turbo that, but I am biased thought.
it's a tougher choice if you have the E manifolds are difficult to find/make and you have weaker pistons...blah blah
SR's are getting cheap and support for the motor is growing so it's not such a pain in the ass to maintain
so the real question is....
do you like torque or smooth power?
KA turbo can break um loose fast
but the SR keeps going and going and...
Rob

rextreme
04-17-2001, 09:59 PM
The KA will not handle as much boost as the SR, BUT, because the KA is a larger displacement engine, it will take less boost on a KA to reach the same hp level as an SR. Soo... MAYBE it takes 15psi to make 300hp on an SR. It might only take 10psi on a KA. Big Big discussion on this in the past. Here's one of my old posts. http://freshalloy.ubbforums.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000502.html
And then there's T.Y's post http://freshalloy.ubbforums.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000050.html

Tom

**DONOTDELETE**
04-18-2001, 09:58 AM
I would rather rebuild the KA with low compression pistons to handle lots of boost than to give up almost a half-liter of displacement. The KA is a bigger engine, so when prepped for turbo, it will always make more hp and torque at any given boost level than an SR which has less displacement (with all other things being equal of course.)

ADAM HUTCHINSON
04-18-2001, 10:03 AM
if the ka motor is properly prepped the sr cannot compete .

like the v8 guys say....there is no replacement for displacement http://www.freshalloy.com/

Fred_Allen_Burge
04-18-2001, 10:12 AM
One way to look at it:
If they cost about the same look what your getting for the money
SR: complete engine w/trannny,ecu and most accessories, a whole freakin' motor!
KA-T: just a turbo kit, not a lot there really, mounted on your possibly high mileage motor.
Also, w/ the SR you COULD swap back to the KA if something bad happened. Just my thoughts.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-18-2001, 10:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by allen:
One way to look at it:
KA-T: just a turbo kit, not a lot there really, mounted on your possibly high mileage motor.
Also, w/ the SR you COULD swap back to the KA if something bad happened. Just my thoughts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The SR is a mass produced item. These motors are someone else's castaways &lt;- used (no offense meant)

Turbo kits to create a never previously existing KA turbo are not mass produced and are quite "custom". These parts are typically brand new.

That begins to explain the price difference, but also the end results (demand &lt;- what people are willing to pay for a certain level of performance) explains the rest.

In the end it's up to personal preference, and personal situation.

[This message has been edited by blu90s13 (edited 04-18-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
04-18-2001, 10:50 AM
Very good point. BUT, one concern I've been pondering: which engine is easier to work on? For over 5 years, I've been putting a lot of detailed work in my low-HP SOHC. One thing that pleases me when looking at an S13 with an SR, is the amount of ROOM in that engine bay. KA24DET owners, you have to agree. that engine bay IS a bit cramped, especially with the turbo goodies. The KA24ET (like Joel's) isnt THAT bad, but its still a bit cluttered. The SR20DET seems like a toy in that engine bay! Is it just me or does anyone have any personal experience from working on SR's, are they easy to work on and maintain? What about getting parts? Sure, I know this must've been talked about billions of times.. but I wouldnt mind a recap.. anyone?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blu90s13:
The SR is a mass produced item. These motors are someone else's castaways &lt;- used (no offense meant)

Turbo kits to create a never previously existing KA turbo are not mass produced and are quite "custom". These parts are typically brand new.

That begins to explain the price difference, but also the end results (demand &lt;- what people are willing to pay for a certain level of performance) explains the rest.

In the end it's up to personal preference, and personal situation.

[This message has been edited by blu90s13 (edited 04-18-2001).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
04-18-2001, 10:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by allen:
One way to look at it:
Also, w/ the SR you COULD swap back to the KA if something bad happened. Just my thoughts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but the problem is that you never know what condition your SR and tranny will be in. I have heard of many people on the net who purchased SRs only to find out the motor was not in good shape or the turbo was screwed up, etc., etc.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-18-2001, 04:09 PM
I hate the SR/KA battle but here goes.
TY's stage 2 make 265HP/wheels
s14 w/ s-15 motor running .9bar (12psi) made about 235 and thats a 6K motor.
SR's are nice because they match the car a bit more, it feels more at home than a KA-t
but like TY said, one ride and you'll be hooked, she moved, really really moved. Thats my take, with the SR you have to do more homework, find out which parts work fromm the sr20de engine and where to get the ignitor chip and all those little things, and if you want AC you gotta find out how to rewire the harness and all that, but there is most likely a reason why JUN built the SR and not the KA...
too 800HP no less

Mav1178
04-18-2001, 04:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robsxt:
but there is most likely a reason why JUN built the SR and not the KA...
too 800HP no less<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JUN built the SR b/c it was readily available in the home market of Japan, where the SR20DET is the engine queen of tuners (next to the RB) and where JUN is based out of.

If JUN was based from the U.S. and the KA was readily available, then it'll be a different story...

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
04-18-2001, 06:37 PM
im mad, i cant decide which to do. the kadet or srdet. i havent been for a ride in either one so i dunno. i probably never will cause i dont live in cali. whats the top speed at redline in 5th gear in the s13 or 14? i cant decide which to get im going to go crazy over here yo!

ta2maki
04-18-2001, 11:54 PM
if your local emmisions are lax, then go with the sr. then you get the "wow, you got a sr" from people.

Yellow4g63
04-19-2001, 02:04 AM
http://www.sleepermotorsport.com/images/dyno3.jpg

its a FWD DET motor stock internals. The company is called Sleepermotorsports. http://www.sleepermotorsport.com/projects.html

**DONOTDELETE**
04-19-2001, 06:11 AM
robsxt said "but like TY said, one ride and you'll be hooked, she moved, really really moved"

which engine are you referring to? the KA?

S14 K's
04-19-2001, 07:03 AM
Hey guys, one quick question:
If I swap in a SR20DET, can I still replace the Nissan Motorsport 248 cams into it?
The reason why I am asking is that I have replaced them into my KA24DE.
Thanks a bunch!

**DONOTDELETE**
04-19-2001, 08:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S14 K's:
Hey guys, one quick question:
If I swap in a SR20DET, can I still replace the Nissan Motorsport 248 cams into it?
The reason why I am asking is that I have replaced them into my KA24DE.
Thanks a bunch!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no

**DONOTDELETE**
04-19-2001, 08:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 240SilviaX:
robsxt said "but like TY said, one ride and you'll be hooked, she moved, really really moved"

which engine are you referring to? the KA? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes

Meeks32
04-19-2001, 08:48 AM
How do you like the 248 cams? extra power across the whole band? or just in the upper end?

S14 K's
04-19-2001, 09:06 AM
blu90s13: Just curious, but why can't they fit?

Meeks32: I like them very much indeed. You wouldn't feel much a difference until around 3500rpm, you can feel more power is being delivered, but then when it reaches 5000rpm, they pull the car like crazy! http://www.freshalloy.com/
If you are concerned about the loss of low-end torque, for me, I say that there is no loss anywhere, and definite power gain at the high-end.

[This message has been edited by S14 K's (edited 04-19-2001).]

04-19-2001, 10:59 AM
I'll take this one:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S14 K's:
Just curious, but why can't they fit?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because the cams are completely different! Not only is the SR engine shorter (physically) than the KA, but it has a different valvetrain arrangement. The SR cam uses a single lobe to actuate a pair of valves through a y-shaped rocker arm with hydraulic lash adjustment. The KA cam uses one lobe per valve (which means it has twice as many lobes as an SR cam!), and directly actuates the valves via a solid, nonadjustable shim. And, the spacing between the valves probably isn't the same, since I think the bore spacing of the SR and KA are different.

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
04-19-2001, 12:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asad137:
I'll take this one:

Because the cams are completely different! Not only is the SR engine shorter (physically) than the KA, but it has a different valvetrain arrangement. The SR cam uses a single lobe to actuate a pair of valves through a y-shaped rocker arm with hydraulic lash adjustment. The KA cam uses one lobe per valve (which means it has twice as many lobes as an SR cam!), and directly actuates the valves via a solid, nonadjustable shim. And, the spacing between the valves probably isn't the same, since I think the bore spacing of the SR and KA are different.

Asad<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly what I was going to say. http://www.freshalloy.com/

[This message has been edited by blu90s13 (edited 04-19-2001).]

04-19-2001, 01:44 PM
You know what they say... "Great minds..."

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blu90s13:
That's exactly what I was going to say. http://www.freshalloy.com/
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

S14 K's
04-19-2001, 11:03 PM
Thanks Asad, and thanks everyone that gives support to people who seek for some answers!!
Thanks again!!
http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
05-12-2001, 12:19 AM
i would juss turbo the ka24de even if my sn says sr20det....... anyways, 240s r unique cuz of theyr torque so i would keep the ka. if u want a nice smooth ride, juss get a honda or somthing.

ta2maki
05-12-2001, 01:22 AM
you know, i was thinking. if nissan would have put in the sr motor in the states to begin with, there would be no ka/sr debate.

jvh22a
05-12-2001, 10:26 AM
i'm going to turbo my kade first and see what i can get out of it. I know i;ll be happy with it. but if it happens to blow then i would put in the srdet. that is my plan of attack. but who knows i might just get another kade to build...