PDA

View Full Version : Cant decide on wheels (for track/autox)

halz
02-13-2003, 08:27 AM
I've narrowed it down (for now) to two candidates, both meeting some general criteria:

- Light
- Not very expensive
- Ability to rotate all wheels
- Operate within fender wells
- Decent selection of tires

Circle Racing's very plain aluminum wheel:
http://halzmann.homestead.com/files/240/82Alum.gif

15x8
13.3lbs
~$191, 4x $764

I could run a 225/50-15 R compound and have very sharp response from the wider wheel with being able to shoulder practically the entire tire. Maybe I could paint or powder coat them black if they start to burn retinas...

Pros:
- Near largest (front) size for this car ('89 240SX)
- Increased track width
- Able to shoulder more of a tire
- Increase of .2" tread per .5" wheel = more tire contact
- 2 piece wheel; can be serviced, to some degree, if damaged

Cons:
- Cost
- Look really bad

Konig Helium
http://halzmann.homestead.com/files/240/137_b.jpg

15x6.5
10.8lbs
~$102, 4x $408

I could run either 225/50-15, or 205/50-15 (for 'better-than-225-response' with being able to shoulder comparatively more of the sidewall, but what about overall traction?)

Pros:
- Cost
- Very light weight
- Look OK

Cons:
- Narrow width
- 1 piece wheel; cast

Guess it just comes down to how much more I want to spend..

asad
02-13-2003, 10:49 AM
They're track wheels...so who cares about looks?

Personally I'd go for the circle track wheels. Of course, I also think Konig is a crappy, unoriginal company that exists only because it copies other companies' designs (for the most part).

The fact that the circle track wheels have extra width and you can get whatever backspacing you want is just icing.

Asad
edit to fix bad grammar

grayceifus
02-13-2003, 12:47 PM
Yeah being able to get any backspacing is your friend. Konig Heliums are only 40-45mm offset, iirc, so basically you have a set of wheels that are light but sit the same way as your stock wheels. If all you want is light then get a set of 89-90 Se Teardrops, they weight in at 15 lbs, and can be had very cheaply.

Later
Gray

Beef
02-13-2003, 01:22 PM
I'd definitely go with the Circle Racing wheels. Actually, I like the classic look of them. Depending on the color of your car, get the wheels powdercoated black. Then they'll look even better.

Mad Dragon is right too, why buy those Konigs when the OEM wheels are essentially the same?

ADAM HUTCHINSON
02-13-2003, 01:55 PM
imo get some 15x7 or 15x8 with 225/50/15 r's...its the cheapest set up...and the 240's like that combo...plus there are lots of tires available....

watch out for brake clearance if you go with the 300zx brakes...

carluch
02-13-2003, 02:15 PM
while in pep boys i noticed they had a rwd specific wheel for about $50 per wheel... six spoke, not very attractive, but suble...any way, i looked up the available sizes for the 4 lug 240; they carry 16X7... also, they weight around 15lbs, iirc... was actually thinking of buying these to save money, but in the end wanted something a little more blingin'... might actually still get a few just to have around to mount drag tires or something on... i know the quality isnt on par with top name manufactorers, but for around 200-250, you would have more than enough money left over for top of the line tires... just a thought...

**DONOTDELETE**
04-10-2003, 01:30 PM
i hate to bring back this old thread but i also have those circle track wheels for track use..can you use them even if there lug centric wheels? will they cause a bad vibration? i have the aluminum 45 degree nuts in 12 x 1.25

halz
04-10-2003, 04:04 PM
Lug centric wheels can be used. From what I understand, really the only problem with lug centric wheels is its hard to find a shop that has the right equipment to balance the wheel. Some shops can use their newer machine with an expensive adapter plate, or they can use "the old machine" (forget what its called).. if they have one http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And, uh.. to update some of the info in this thread, I'll be going with Kosei K1s from Tirerack, after learning they still sell them.

McGuirk
04-10-2003, 06:28 PM
halz you helped me in one of my other posts (alignment) so I did some searching and read earlier in the post you were thinking about powdercoating the rims. Not sure if you are going to on the kosei's but just in case I found a good article.

http://www.conecrazy.com/store/powdercoating/kosei.html