PDA

View Full Version : Injector Question Please give advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

idontknowcrap
02-22-2003, 01:06 PM
http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif This is a pretty specific question depending on my parts and boost level otherwise i would have searched more on this question. OK i have a 93 240 with s13 sr20det. i have stock s13 turbo, intake with greddy elbow s13 mafs, hks turbo extension, blitz downpipe, 3" test pipe, apexi gt spec exhaust, hks type s front mount intercooler. also i have tomei head gasket, rocker arm stopper and valve springs. now to the feul part of it. all i have is a walbro 255lph high pressure pump, and stock s13 injectors. and when i race i am boosting at 1 bar 14.7 psi "i believe" my question is SHOULD I CHANGE OUT MY INJECTORS? i have denso 550cc but i dont know if i should put them in or not. i dont always boost at 1 bar most of my daily driving is at around .5 bar. and yes this is my daily driver. but i do race a lot. if i change them out will i foul out my plugs faster or what. i dont care about running a little rich id rather run rich than run lean. also with the stuff i just said what plugs should i be using. thanks in advance for you help Ben http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

oh yeah im using the new HKS EVC for a bosst controller

SRFiveTen
02-22-2003, 01:34 PM
combination of stock mafs, stock cams and stock turbo does not really require injector upgrade.
heavier duty springs on stock cams seem to me, another example of an incorrect combination; s-afc to compensate for your injector upgrade is also not highly recommenmded for serious application, imo.

i would hold off on the 550cc injectors until you get your self cams, z32 mafs and power fc.

as for the spark plugs, you should read a set of new plugs right after your racing session to determin if you need to change the heat range.

if you go with the power fc route, i hope your philosophy on "i'd rather be over-rich than over-lean" might change to "let's get it right for the sake of optimizing performance and efficiency".

idontknowcrap
02-22-2003, 01:45 PM
well i already have z32 mafs but im still waiting on my power fc thats why its not on. and since im running 1 bar of boost i didnt know if i was running lean on the stock ecu. so as of right now i have no feul controller of any kind and thats why i said i would rather put in the bigger injectors and run rich instead of running lean. so i guess i should of asked how much boost will the stock ecu handle. if it can give feul for 15psi i should be ok? right?

drifts_14
02-22-2003, 01:52 PM
we popped an sr by over boosting it for the factory 370cc injectors. The boost was set at a 1 bar and we hit a spike that took it to about 16 psi and screwed the motor. This was on factory everything except boost controller. Put about a pee size hole in one of the exhaust valves

idontknowcrap
02-22-2003, 01:56 PM
ok so that bring me back to me saying I WOULD RATHER RUN RICH THAN LEAN i think its safe to say, thats a safer way to go i dont know about anybody else but i dont want no peas in my SR

SRFiveTen
02-22-2003, 03:53 PM
rule of the thumb, you change your air cleaner, you make your exhaust more free flowing, your a/f mixture will lean out a little; that's why they offer afc and such for correcting this deviation.

you claim you don't know if you are running lean or rich, that is only because you haven't checked your plugs; perhaps because you don't know how, or the job is too time consuming.
check, investigate, confirm, get to know, don't assume, don't short-change your self.

as a reference, i am typing out a recommendation listed on apex-i master catalog:-
s13 sr20det.
step 1 street
0.7~0.8kg/cm2 boost, 210~230ps.
stock setup plus intake, s-afc, exhaust.

step 2 street/circuit
0.8~0.9kg/cm2 boost, 220~240ps.
stock plus pfc, b/c kit, commander, front pipe, fmic, intake piping, radiator, racing plugs.

step 3 street/circuit/drift
0.9~1.1kg/cm2 boost, 240~260ps.
step 1 plus fuel pump, regulator, optional >444cc/min injectors, >z32 mafs, racing plugs.

0.9kg/cm2 boost, that's shy of 13psi, is recommended limit of stock s13 turbo, stock mafs, stock injectors, stock fuel pump.
just a guideline from folks who'd been messing with it for over a decade.
you want to test the limits, go right ahead, you might end up providing spare components for everyone else.

killjoy
02-22-2003, 04:51 PM
it sounds like drifta really wants to run different injectors no matter how unnecessary it works with his application. Remember you will have to retune ecu to use these. Why upgrade all that and waste that money? You will need those things when you upgrade the turbo. My advice is leave it how you have it now. Save for the parts you need to upgrade and install them when needed with the turbo upgrade.

idontknowcrap
02-23-2003, 04:36 AM
hey sr510 i dont care who you are, how many post you have, how long you have been messing around with this motor, and i dont care how much you know about anything. theres no reason for you to be a **** head. pretty much all i was asking is how much boost the stock ecu will handle. meanwhile you are waisting your time thinking of cool little put downs to make me look stupid and to make you look cool. i just wanted some FRIENDLY advice. not snotty remarks from *** holes. thanks to you other guys who are trying to help without attitude. Ben

Kookz
02-23-2003, 04:40 AM
What the F*CK are you talking about?

NOSTALGIC_HERO
02-23-2003, 06:12 AM
WTF.. dude SRfiveten knows his sh it.

and i didnt see anything harsh coming off from him.. however-- your type we see (and he sees too often- proud noobs that bought all this stuff - and list it to think they are L33T about it all.. and then not know dick about tuning...
your topic ClEARLY states "INJECTOR QUESTION. PLEASE GIVE ADVICE!!!!" well he did- he gave ADVICE.

so here is some advice from me..
post your stupid naggon questions in the begineer forum where you belong--- SRfiveten did NOTHING but offer you advice and you attack him-- well you dont just attack him.. you attack alot of us.. so sit down. shut your mouth and listen..

and to you ben.. i personally cant wait to see your beat on parts in the classifieds section.. where we will all get a pleasant snicker off of it all.

idontknowcrap
02-23-2003, 03:06 PM
man you are pretty cool too read what i wrote to him and thats what i say to you i dont care if he is your internet but buddy and ill say it again i dont care how much he knows. and of course all his buddies are going to stick up for him, so come on everybody. let me see what funny and cool things you guys can come up with to make me look like a faget noob come on guys

SRFiveTen
02-23-2003, 04:30 PM
my first post #67300234 went right over your head so fast, you got hit by a sonic boom.

you should 'have' asked, "what do i have to do to install my 550cc denso injectors on my stock s13 sr20det?"
but other guys with gears turning the right way in their head would have advised against that too.
because to do it halfass correctly, you'll be spending unnecessary expence on rom fooling gadget such as super bling afc.

how much boost the stock ecu will handle?

stock ecu isn't the first bottle neck in your quest for power.
bigger injectors are not the first upgrade.
boost levels exceeding the safety margin of stock (or any) set up will result in component(s) failure.

if you don't care for consequence, why not take matters in your hands and forget asking for advice?

you seem to be rounding up nice components. but just piling them on randomly will not help you produce efficiency.
for instance, h.d. springs will increase valvetrain friction, reducing efficiency in the rpm range your stock cams operate.
h.d. springs are better suited for long duration high lift camshafts which tend to rev past the limits programmed in your stock ecu.

little things like that you overlooked.
that's ok, it's part of the learning curve.
however, if you cannot judge for your self if your motor is running too rich, just right or too lean by checking plugs...

you don't seem like the type who owns/reads/understands factory service manuals, as you don't seem to care for details, facts, warnings and opinions.
someday, you might grow up enough to figure out that friendliest advice isn't always the best.

thank you estevan.

Frankiefingers77
02-23-2003, 05:08 PM
I can't stand this anymore. The whole forum is like this. SR510FiveTen is really knowledgable and is one of the few guys that I've never seen flame anyone and someone already told him to fu ck off? Then this guy challenges us to gang up on him? SRFiveTen gives good advice and now he's making himself look cool and DRIFTA look bad? He doesn't have to do anything to make DRIFTA look bad. He's doin it pretty well on his own.