PDA

View Full Version : Ann Job review of FX45: 8 out of 10

DaleRB
02-28-2003, 12:54 AM
MSN Autos - Review (http://autos.msn.com/vip/job.aspx?make=Infiniti&model=FX45&src=Home&pos=Edi t3)

The review seems to end abruptly. Almost like there ought to be a second page. Hmm.

jastevenson
02-28-2003, 04:45 AM
Agree about the abrupt end. My main issue is that she calls the looks a "negative," and spends the first 2 paragraphs dissing them. WTF? I bought this car in part for the gorgeous looks! I guess she's getting old.

mat_silver
02-28-2003, 09:19 AM
I guess she's getting old.

Aesthetic appreciation has more to do with personal preferences then with age. I'm 47 and I think the FX is a work of Art. My early 30 something neigbors think it looks 'funky'...and when they said that they scrunched their faces up, so I don't think they meant it like 'funky-cool', but more like 'funky-odd'.

KenDude
02-28-2003, 09:32 AM
Yeah not sure about the ending either and she seems to contradict herself some and simply repeat marketing materials, all in all probably just something she churned out to meet deadline or publishing requirements.

Speaking of MSN, check out the review call "Special FX!" at
http://autos.msn.com/userreviews/reviewlist.aspx?idmodel=10706&search=MostRecent&nu m=50&trim=96949&lang=All

Hemants
02-28-2003, 09:33 AM
The only MSN reviews I find to be remotely useful are Daniel Herauld or whatever his name is.

bentyyc
02-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Excellent review KenDude - you've encapsulated my thoughts perfectly!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TVT
02-28-2003, 01:39 PM
Those reviews really are hilarious!

I mean they are all left by new owners of the FX, can we expect them to be at all impartial? But the extent of the reviews had me laughing out loud! Did you read the one in which the reviewer gave the car PERFECT 10's across the board! Does anyone REALLY think the FX is PERFECT?

Come on! I have never seen a perfect car before and the FX is far from perfect. When I see someone so blinded that they give it all tens I must just discredit everything they say.

The FX is very cool, very nice, I would rate it highly overall but those reviews really were good for some laughs...thanks for posting the link.

a_wlee
02-28-2003, 02:01 PM
In response to

Poster: TVT
Subject: Re: Ann Job review of FX45: 8 out of 10

(Those reviews really are hilarious!

I mean they are all left by new owners of the FX, can we expect them to be at all impartial? But the extent of the reviews had me laughing out loud! Did you read the one in which the reviewer gave the car PERFECT 10's across the board! Does anyone REALLY think the FX is PERFECT?

Come on! I have never seen a perfect car before and the FX is far from perfect. When I see someone so blinded that they give it all tens I must just discredit everything they say.)

http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gifHey everyone is entitled to their opinions and if they feel it is a 10 then so be it. I wouldn't say it is hilarious as most people love theirs Fx's. Compared to a lot of ****ty looking vehicles out there and the square thinking of most manufactures the FX has got to be the most coolest and well thought out design. It may have some small minor problems but hey look at your VW's they have tons of minor issues. As for the FX they are very very minor. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif So lighten up!

ecaribe
02-28-2003, 02:07 PM
They rated perfect 10 because the only imperfections on this vehicle are very small and I think I speak for everyone else that bought one. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Have you ever seen a really ugly baby... but all of the family members standing around saying look how beautiful....

The "newborn" FX is just that, and if they want to give people an "Opinion" of 10 so be it!!!

KenDude
02-28-2003, 03:12 PM
If I could have rated it higher, I would have. Let's look at "Performance", the FX45 outperforms all other SUVs out there, I would have given it an 11 or 12 on a 1-10 scale if others are giving the X5 a 10, then the FX45 would certainly rate higher.

Would my ratings change over time? Sure depending on circumstances, I mean if the car was in the shop every week then I'd change my rating on reliability to a 1 or a 2, so you have to give these ratings some slack as being ratings done with very little overall experience with the car at this point in time. Looks are subjective, so interior and exterior ratings of 10 just means the person likes the looks. Frankly I wouldn't buy a car that I didn't give a 10 in looks, but I admit others might rate it much lower if the looks don't appeal to them.

What I think is MORE important is the text part of each rating, not the numbers. What did the owner say about the car? Some don't say anything, others try to provide a brief (limited by # of characters by MSN) description of the positives and negatives of the car.

In some ways these owner ratings are more worthwhile than those of an analyst who simply regurgitates manufacturer marketing materials which I've spotted many doing with the FX.

TVT
02-28-2003, 03:20 PM
It may have some small minor problems but hey look at your VW's they have tons of minor issues. As for the FX they are very very minor. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif So lighten up!

My VW's? I do not own a VW, have NEVER owned a VW. While I do like what I have seen of the Touareg very much I also like the FX very much! It does not really apply to label me "the VW guy" since I do not even own one! I honestly thought the link to those reviews were meant for some laughs. I see now that they were serious so I apologize. I did not mean to laugh at others opinions, the reviews were just so over the top that I thought they were a bit funny. I cannot lighten up anymore then I am because I don't take ANY of this seriously as is! The FX is a cool car, I have never said otherwise so I am not your enemy!

TVT
02-28-2003, 03:38 PM
Ken...

Sorry man, I did not realize that you wrote that review!

I did not mean to insult you. I honestly thought you were pointing us to those reviews as a sort of joke. You know, like saying "Check this out, it's funny." I know you love your car and that's great, it is in fact very nice.

I Would rate the FX like this (using the same format):

Exterior Styling - 9

I'd give this a very high rating because I think it looks very cool. There are a few small issues wiuth the exterior that do bother me and cause a point to be dropped though. I like the front end much more than the back end, the mirrors are too small and the rearward visibility is not good. But all of this only deducts one point... Obvioulsy a 9 is a HIGH score!

Interior styling: - 6 or 7

The interior is nice, but not in the top teir of automotive interiors. In is certainly above average and I like some things very much, like the rear seat levers to drop the seats flat. The gauges are great, the seats are comfortable and supportive, the aluminum petals, while justr an image thing, are very cool indeed. On the other hand everything feels a bit cheap to me when compared to really high end interiors. The plastics are ok, not bad, but just not great. The aluminum scratches easily and then there is that whole passenger seat issue. If you check out the details, like how the carpet fits the footwells.. it is a cheap, thik carpet that sort of forms loosely over the curves of the footwells. This is not really that great and I think it is the LITTLE stuff that tells a lot about a car. My biggest problem though is the huge expanse of plastic on the doors and the passenger dash. It just feels less then high end to me. I also think the leather is a notch or two below the high end. So while I love the FX exterior I only like it's interior. It is the one area that I think could use some REAL improvment.

Performace - 8

EIGHT! You are saying...how the hell can it not be a ten?!? Well on dry pavement it IS a ten. Perhaps in Texas (where you are, right?) it would be a ten. But I live in Chicago! I have snow, ice and rain to deal with all the time. Because I do not only drive on dry pavement I need to factor in the FX's OVERALL performance... not JUST the power of the engine. So I deduct 2 points for iffy snow / ice and off road performance. Again, dry road, FX rules.

Quality: 8

Again, the interior brings this rating down...it is more or less a split between the exterior and interior ratings. I think in general Nissan makes very nice quality product and the FX is no exception.The engines are well tested, build quality is always high. But man, those interior materals are hard for me to get past. Still, an 8 is a HIGH score!

I am going to add my own catagory... intagibles in which I give the FX an 8.

This covers stuff like the image of the car, the cool extras like the rear view camera and the keyless ignition., I think the FX has lots to offer which is hard to catagorize., It may not be the best at a lot of things, or the biggest or the most capable, but the total package works well and offers a cool driving experience that is not really found in many other vehicles.

Fially reccomendation... I can not grade this but for the right people I certainly see nothing to prevent a hearty reccomendation. I have overall given this car a very high rating. My only reservations about reccomending it would be to people who need more practicality (ie more cargo) need to go offroad (which is obviously not what the FX is about, or have large families or kids who may need more room again).

KenDude
02-28-2003, 03:48 PM
I wasn't the only person to give it all 10's. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As an FYI we've driven the FX45 in snow and ice a couple of times now and absolutely NO problems whatsoever. Ask DFW he drove in the ice storm in Dallas and he didn't have any problems either. No one has taken the FX45 off-road yet, but since 99.9% of people never take an SUV off-road, then at worst your score should be 9.99 which rounds up to 10. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't get the poor visibility thing out the back either, I can see out the back and to either side for lane changes just fine...

TVT
02-28-2003, 04:53 PM
Porr rear visibility is subjective I guess.

I mean yes, I can see out the back, but the smallish rounded rear window sort of acts as a frame in the rear view mirror. By that I mean that instread of only seeing the road I see the interior edges of the back window and then to road in my mirror. I also think the rear view mirrors are slightly too small and are oddly shaped. While this looks cool it makes it a bit harder to see quickly what is going on behind you. The small curved far rear windows also offer little visibility if you are glancing over your shoulder.

I am not sure I would change any of this.. maybe I would enlarge the mirrors. I mean I would probably put the importance of the looks ABOVE the visibility in this case... nothing can be perfect and I like the looks. However it is still a small issue with me.

Put it this way... if the FX had an interior more along the lines of the Touareg, or the high end X-5's in terms of quality, not so much lkayout, I would not hesitate to buy one. This is something that Infiniti can easily work on. I have mentioned this before but my first year Qx4 PAILED in comparison to the last year in terms of it's interior. They made HUGE improvments over the years. It is my hope that Infiniti makes similar improvments on the FX interior.. then it would be a really legit contender in my mind as all around best.

tjz
02-28-2003, 04:57 PM
I agree with Ken's review except for 2 things. I feel that the lexus Nav is easier to read than the FX. The Lexus Mark Levinson sound system beats the FX as well.

One Sweet Ride !

TjZ

Jason B
03-02-2003, 08:11 PM
My only reservations about reccomending it would be to people who need more practicality (ie more cargo) need to go offroad (which is obviously not what the FX is about, or have large families or kids who may need more room again).

For those that need more room, just hold out for this.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid46/p9114435a5269f2f54b28202cc35addb3/fcd1de61.jpg

It will be here next year and will have a 5.6L Engine with well over 375ft-lb of torque.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-02-2003, 09:05 PM
The review seems to end abruptly. Almost like there ought to be a second page. Hmm.

[/QUOTE]

She does say in the last paragraph "Lastly, note that....." That sounds like she's through to me..

I think the FX may only be love at first site for very few. Apparently it wasn't for her. It slowly grows on you the more you see it, kinda like the Maxima ('04 and previous 2 generations weren't attractive at first glance, for me.)

The FX is sorta in the category of the Rendezvous and Aztec, that people don't really know what it is (no offense to Infiniti). It doesn't belong in any category right now. It doesn't look like a traditional SUV because it's not. Once you realize that, you can decide if the FX is for you or not.

WolfMan
03-02-2003, 09:25 PM
Hey Jason:

Can you point me to a website or article for some more info on that 7 passenger Infiniti SUV with gobs of torque on it. How much hp is it supposed to have? Any estimates on how much it will cost?

Thanks

Jason B
03-02-2003, 10:09 PM
Unfortunately there isn't that much info on it yet.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Q45&Number=67308399&page=0 &view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

bentyyc
03-03-2003, 05:54 PM
The FX is sorta in the category of the Rendezvous and Aztec, that people don't really know what it is (no offense to Infiniti). It doesn't belong in any category right now. It doesn't look like a traditional SUV because it's not.

I agree that it may defy conventional labelling right now, but to mention it in the same breath as the Aztek/Rendevouz? Come on - that's just plain mean!

For me, the FX is an all-weather, AWD sport wagon. Since the Audi RS4 never made it here, this is the one for me... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jason B
03-03-2003, 06:03 PM
I don't know about that comparo, but this one seems to fit the bill better.

[/i]Separated at birth...[/i] click (http://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=91884)