PDA

View Full Version : Anyone paint their brake calipers?

Nismo
05-04-2001, 09:00 AM
For anyone who has painted their brake calipers, what paint did you use? How has it held up over the years? Or, if you got them powdercoated, how much did it cost you? I'm planning on painting all four of my brake calipers red to match the car.
-Thanks in advance.

05-04-2001, 09:31 AM
I painted my 300ZX front calipers red using Plasti-Kote engine paint. Looks pretty good still, I don't remember how long I've had my Z brakes...over a year now, easily.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nismo:
For anyone who has painted their brake calipers, what paint did you use? How has it held up over the years? Or, if you got them powdercoated, how much did it cost you? I'm planning on painting all four of my brake calipers red to match the car.
-Thanks in advance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
05-04-2001, 09:43 AM
I powdercoated, costs vary depending on who does it for you. I think my batch cost me around 75-100.. but thats a batch, with many other parts in there.. so we ended up splitting the costs (me and my friends). Most places charge by color.. not by items powdercoated.

My calipers are around 2 years old and look brand new. Everytime I wash my car the calipers get clean by the slight touch of a brush. Painting is decent, but depending on the quality flakes away and also gets dirty easy. Powdercoating is the best way to go, if you have the time and money.

- Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nismo:
-Thanks in advance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by old_s13 (edited 05-04-2001).]

Nismo
05-04-2001, 09:56 AM
Thanks asad for your quick reply. I've never heard of plasti-kote before, but after checking their web site and a few other sites, they seem to be highly recommended by people who've used their products. Also, you might be interested to know, they now have a brake caliper paint (good to 900 degrees). I think I'll place my order as soon as I get the ok from the comptroller (a.k.a.--the wife).
Cheers,
-Nismo

P.S.: Just noticed your reply s13. I think I'll go ahead with the cheaper paint option. Then, if it ever starts deteriorating, I can always strip the paint and get them powdercoated. Thanks.

05-04-2001, 11:33 PM
Hey no problem. Just an FYI, I don't think there's a need to go with dedicated "brake caliper" paint if, say, you can't find the right color or something. Even a normal 500-degree engine paint is probably sufficient. The powder finish used when powdercoating melts at around 400-450 degrees, so if powdercoating can hold up to brake caliper temps, a normal engine paint should too.

Asad

Thanks asad for your quick reply. I've never heard of plasti-kote before, but after checking their web site and a few other sites, they seem to be highly recommended by people who've used their products. Also, you might be interested to know, they now have a brake caliper paint (good to 900 degrees).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
05-05-2001, 12:00 AM
I agree with Asad, powdercoating is just a med-temp plastic coating, its not really designed for lets say, headers and super hot piping. http://www.freshalloy.com/ BUT, for the most part, powdercoating is perfect for calipers.

I recommend trying the cheaper alternative, you have nothing to lose. As for stripping the calipers if they ever start chipping, no need.. most powdercoating places bead-blast everything.. so it'll be cleaned automatically.

- mike

Thanks asad for your quick reply. I've never heard of plasti-kote before, but after checking their web site and a few other sites, they seem to be highly recommended by people who've used their products. Also, you might be interested to know, they now have a brake caliper paint (good to 900 degrees). I think I'll place my order as soon as I get the ok from the comptroller (a.k.a.--the wife).
Cheers,
-Nismo

P.S.: Just noticed your reply s13. I think I'll go ahead with the cheaper paint option. Then, if it ever starts deteriorating, I can always strip the paint and get them powdercoated. Thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nismo
05-15-2001, 12:16 PM
The caliper paint was too flat and required a 650 degree oven--which I don't have--so I used the glossy red engine paint instead.

After priming and painting with the 500 degree engine paint, I baked the parts in an oven at 350 degrees for one hour; that cured the paint VERY well. So far, so good (of course it's only been a few days http://www.freshalloy.com/ ).

-Thank you both for your advice.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-15-2001, 12:39 PM
I painted my rear drums on my truck with high temp engine paint (that paint they sell at parts store and even K-mart) about two years ago and the paint is a bit faded and dull. I also painted my calipers about 6 months ago and they still look good and shine.

Mav1178
05-15-2001, 12:50 PM

After priming and painting with the 500 degree engine paint, I baked the parts in an oven at 350 degrees for one hour; that cured the paint VERY well. So far, so good (of course it's only been a few days http://www.freshalloy.com/ ).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I forgot to add that when I rebuilt my Z32 calipers, I painted them and cured them in my kitchen oven at 400F temp for 2 hours. Works very well.

-alex

Mav1178
05-15-2001, 01:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by '97 S14 SE Turbo:
Was it still moist inside? And did you use chocolate chips in it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, it came out pretty delicious. My first time baking! Thank goodness I didn't get anything burnt.

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
05-15-2001, 08:19 PM
Hi,

i have a 1997 se and I painted my calipers like 6 months ago. I used-dupli color's engine enamel which is good for 500 degrees. Before I started I cleaned them real well with a wire bruch. Finish is still great and shinny, no chips. Just use a few coats and don't get very harsh rim clearners on them.