PDA

View Full Version : Interior colors and leather treatment

**DONOTDELETE**
03-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Looking at various color FX interiors tonight, I noticed that the leather is finished differently for each color.

The black/brick leather is embossed.

The graphite leather looks smooth, even the seat insets are smooth.

The willow leather is also smooth, but the seat insets are perforated.

Any opinions on the visual effect and durability of the various colors and treatments? I was left with the impression that the lighter color interiors look more roomy than the darker color ones.

In my 911, the leather (or pseudo-leather since to get all leather is very expensive for a 911 and not worthwhile in my opinion) is smooth except for the perforated seating areas. I haven't noticed any problems with the perforated areas wearing worse, but have noticed the smooth bolsters on the seats develop creases in them over time.

Maybe this is an advantage of the embossed black/brick leather in the FX? Any additional creases it develops over time would be hidden very well.

Also, somebody mentioned that he thought the black/brick embossed leather in one demo car looked like it was getting dirty very fast. I wonder if this is just the color variation from the embossing. The indented part is lighter than the rest, and this seemed to me to be very uniform around the entire seating area. I can't see how this would be so uniform if the color variation was from dirt.

TVT
03-05-2003, 01:03 AM
I saw how the brick wore at the auto show. There are so many people in and out of those cars that i would guess they see a year of wear in just a week or so.

In the case of the embossed leather the high points got very dirty. the low, lighter point, remained the original color. the result was a VERY two tone, mottled look. It was not something that looked pleasing to me. It in fact made the interior look very cheap.

the Willow looks great, i like the perforations. However it is VERY light. I live in snowy weather and I think it would be too hard to keep that clean.

That leaves black. I'm not a fan of all black interiors but on the FX I do think it looks good. It's smooth leather so no embossing problems either. Plus in my opinion the smbossed leather almost looks fake. you know, like it is vynal made to look like leather.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-05-2003, 02:11 AM
I agree with TVT on this one. I too was at the show on the first Sunday (3 days after it opened). The Brick interior was not looking good with the mob of people that were moving in and out of the vehicle. I can't say for sure that this is a WEAR issue. In fact the situation TVT is describing could simply be caused by dirt. If the seats were cleaned maybe it would even out again. Hard to tell folks. I guess the brick owners will tell the tale in a year or two. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mat_silver
03-05-2003, 11:31 AM
The problem with any color leather other than black, is that dye form clothing can rub off onto the leather, especially from blue jeans. The 'dirt' seen on the embossed elather was probably just this. It built up rather quickly, I'm sure, from ao many people getting in and out of it. This also happened on my Willow leather, but it comes right off. It makes me wonder how 'dirty' the graphite leather was in my G35. Even thought I cleaned/conditioned it, you can't really tell dirt on the graphite color.

jberger
03-05-2003, 10:11 PM
Most infiniti leathers are dyed from the back, so they don't rub off from the front. That feature was introduced on the new Q and I think is complete through the line now.

Different stampings and finishes can have a dramatic impact on the durability of the leather. Darker leathers, in general are more durable than lighter colors, in my personal experiance. The dark blue in my Q has held up much better than most of the lighter colored interior's I've seen, regardless of care.

But the most important part of leather is how you clean/treat it over time. Leather needs to be cleaned and moisturized regularly to keep it from drying out and cracking.

fxman
03-06-2003, 09:25 AM
I went with graphite leather primarly due to wear and tear potential from kids. My previous vehicle had a light tan leather that showed dirt (and cracking-probably due to not treating very often). I liked the texture/feel of the graphite over the brick and willow. I will be more dilligent on treating this leather than on previous vehicles. I remember seeing that the brick leather showed dirt more clearly than the other choices.