PDA

View Full Version : no spark, coilpacks gone bad?

**DONOTDELETE**
03-09-2003, 04:47 PM
i finally got the motor in and im not getting any spark in any of the cylinders. i used a multimeter to check the connections and im getting power into the coilpacks but where the coilpack is supposed to touch the spark plug i get nothing. im guessing that my coilpacks are messed up since all four do this. is this the problem or am i missing something. where can i get new coilpacks or can these be fixed? thanks.

ps. i searched but its not working.

iHATEstupidity
03-09-2003, 05:01 PM
did you check the connectors going into each individual coilpack for 12V power, ground, and signal?

THINK

**DONOTDELETE**
03-09-2003, 05:04 PM
did you check the connectors going into each individual coilpack for 12V power, ground, and signal?

THINK

i didnt do ground and signal, ill go check those right now.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-09-2003, 05:17 PM
i checked the wires and this is what i get. theres a thick wire that black/yellow stripe which gets 10v. theres a thick black wire that gets 6v. theres a thin black wire that gets nothing. im guessing that the black/yellow is power, black is signal, and ground is the thin one. is this right?

iHATEstupidity
03-09-2003, 11:19 PM
forgot the exact colors to each wire, but there's a marking on top of each coil pack's plug that tells you what each wire does what. + should be positive voltage...G or - should be continuous to ground...and E (i think it was E) should get a varied v signal as you crank the engine. i forgot the exact number it'll show, but as long as it varies as the engine cranks, that means it's getting a signal from the ignitor chip to fire the coil pack.
hmmm...oh yah also read this post i had on checking the whole ignition works. it's nothing radical, just simple electrical troubleshooting, so shouldn't take you more than like 30 mins.
http://sr20.hybrids.jp/forum/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=tech&Number=4349&page= &view=&sb=&o=

THINK

**DONOTDELETE**
03-10-2003, 04:38 PM
ok i checked for continuity from the ignitor chip plug to the coilpack plugs and i get continuity but i get continuity at the connection that is labeled "-". now, correct me if im wrong but isn't that weird? in the fsm it tells me to check for continuity between the connections "+" and "-" to see if the coilpack is bad. according to that "+" would be positive and "-" would be negative. that leaves "E" which must be the signal from the ignitor. but this is not the connection that has continuity with the connections on the ignitor. when i use a multimeter on the ignitor plugs i get continuity on the connections that are labeled "-" which should be ground. why would that happen? is it supposed to be like that or am i missing something? the wires dont look like they have been crossed or anything so how could they be reversed (if they are). i hope that makes any sense. thanks.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-12-2003, 09:03 PM
thinking that maybe the wiring was wrong i tried switching the '-' wire to the 'E' wire because that is how it seems like it should go and it still does not fire. im guessing now that my coilpacks are bad - or am i missing something? thanks for the help guys(if anyone answers).

**DONOTDELETE**
03-14-2003, 04:33 PM
anyone have any ideas at all? i know theres people here that can help. come on guys i need help. i dont want to buy a new set of coilpacks for nothing.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-14-2003, 04:53 PM
You might want to check for codes if your ecu is hooked up propperly. Then I would check to see if the CAS is working propperly.

You said you checked for power and ground to the system.

ie: CAS, ECU, Igniter chip, and also check for the ignition switch signal to the ecu and the like.

carluch
03-14-2003, 07:03 PM
check my signature...

NY S13 SR
03-15-2003, 03:08 PM
Check the ignitor chip for output voltage to each coil pack as you crank the engine. If you don't have it, then you can check ECU output to the ignitor chip. It's more likely that the ignitor or ECU is bad than 4 coilpacks (which are cheap BTW).

kriptix
03-17-2003, 05:54 AM
On the JDM harness there should be a big grey connector with 2 thick blck cables, one with a blue and one with a red stripe I think, anyways the 2 thick black ones. both of those need to be connected to the thick black w/ red sripe on the car side of the same connector.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-06-2003, 07:38 PM
i still need help with this problem. the only thing i can think of thats wrong is the coilpacks - but it still doesnt make sense that all four went bad...

the connectors that connect to the coipacks are "fine" (i will explain the reason for quotes later). i know this because:

-i have signal from the ecu (tested w/ multimeter)
-the ignitor is sending signal (tested w/multimeter)
-i have power (black/red wire IS connected to black/red and blue/red one)
-i have ground (checked for continuity w/ multimeter)

now, seeing as the everything up to the connector for the coilpacks works, the problem lies at the coilpacks (my plugs are new plus i tested for power out of coilpacks so something is messing up within it). This does not mean that the coilpacks are bad though:

http://www.djelektrique.com/~nissan/coilpack.bmp

previously, someone said that the 'E' on the coilpack is for the connection of the signal from the ignitor. if this is true, the connection labeled '1' in my picture in reality is the ground connection (i tested this by checking for continuity w/ the multimeter). The connection '2' is sending out ~10v power from the battery. The connection '3' is sending out ~10v too, but this wire is continuous with one of the plugs on the ignitor. Well, on the coilpack, connection '1' lines up with the 'E', which should be recieving a 12v signal from the ignitor which, in reality, is going to the coilpack connection '-'. the 'E' and the '-' seem to be crossed. i dont know how that could be wrong though, because i never changed any of it. either someone gave me a messed up harness (maybe the wrong year) or my coilpacks are indeed dead (4 is like $20 from heavythrottle). Before i go out and buy new coilpacks though, is that the problem? or is the harness truly the thing thats messed up (crisscrossed). Any help is appreciated.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-07-2003, 10:57 PM
man somebody must know something. id really appreciate if someone could check for me on their own car... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

drifts_14
05-08-2003, 12:21 AM
i believe the coilpacks from heavy throttle are $20 a peice, anyways i've got a spare set of coilpacks that came on my motor (i'm running autronic and msd so i dont use them) anyways i'd sell them for $40 + shipping

seth