PDA

View Full Version : Front Clip & EPA

eng_man
03-11-2003, 12:56 PM
I called Customs yesterday after finally hearing that my front clip had arrived and the guy I talked to mentioned something about needed EPA paperwork from Nissan (WTF?!) I'm not sure if it matters but this is in VA, but I thought EPA was federal and so should apply the same state to state.

This is the first time that I've heard anything about this and as such I don't have any EPA paper work. I was told by the shipping company all I would need was money to pay any customs taxes, the bill of lading and the arrival notice / invoice.

All the people I've talked to since then don't know for sure. So can anyone give me a concrete answer on what is needed in regards to EPA paperwork if any?

Thanks a bunch.

eng_man
03-11-2003, 06:03 PM
I called Customs again and they were adamant about me having EPA paperwork. The guy said I needed form 3520, here's a link to the form: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/forms/3520-1.pdf

Looking at it I don't know hardly any of the information its asking for. Has anyone else had this problem? Any (useful) suggestions?

Thanks again.

Kookz
03-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Looks like you may try code W?

_Nzo_
03-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Code X

eng_man
03-11-2003, 07:09 PM
Code X

That's what I figured too ... except for this part.

"imported in accordance with 40 CFR 85 1703. Importer must attach proof that vehicle lacks safety or other features required for safe and practical street operation, including evidence of inordinate size or weight preventing highway use."

First off I don't know what 40 CFR 85 1703 even is. Secondly what proof do I have? You'd think the fact that it was a front clip would be enough. Obviously it doesn't have practical street operation.

But the fact of the matter is I'm not sure what they're basing it on. I was under the impression that if it wasn't a whole car it was just imported as parts which wasn't subject to any EPA stuff. Obviously this isn't the case.

_Nzo_
03-11-2003, 08:48 PM
May I ask why you didnt just buy a clip from a company in the US? You might try calling some places and see if they will tell you how they get their clips through.

Mav1178
03-11-2003, 09:05 PM
But the fact of the matter is I'm not sure what they're basing it on. I was under the impression that if it wasn't a whole car it was just imported as parts which wasn't subject to any EPA stuff. Obviously this isn't the case.

It matters b/c the company you bought the clip from filed the wrong paperwork with Customs, and now they are treating it as a vehicle. That, or the broker that handled this shipment screwed up and now you are paying the price.

Painful to learn, but as a consumer it's always best to pay to have the seller and/or importer deal with Customs direct instead of dealing with them individually...

-alex

eng_man
03-12-2003, 08:10 PM
Any other suggestions?

Jared
03-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Just out of curiosity, from whom did you purchase this front cut? I had a ton of difficulties getting my stuff to my home, but most of which were on the logistics' end.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2003, 03:23 PM
Code X is for a vehicle, it says. The clip should be treated as an engine, but the EPA uses similar (sometimes identical) paperwork for engines and vehicles, because the engine is the direct producer of the EPA's concern for imported vehicles, which is thier polution/smog. I agree with Kookaburraz; code W pertains to an engine, all other codes are for vehicles. You should still consult with an engine importer before filing the paperwork. They could tell you the classification, as well as maybe giving you tips to save time/money on the rest of the process.

3Leater
03-13-2003, 04:37 PM
I feel your pain. I'm dealing with a similar situation with an engine I having shipped in. Its taken nearly a month of my engine sitting in dry dock but I think I have it figured out now. Make sure that the bill of laden on your paperwork states that what is being shipped is a used engine, this is where I got jammed.

Anyway, good luck!

iHATEstupidity
03-13-2003, 04:53 PM
it's quite interesting watching the action as it transpires. how many days do you have left to clear your front clip before they destroy it? i hope that your collective experiences can serve as a deterrent to others who think that they can import stuff easily.
anyway, how much did you claim as the value of the front clip? depending on what you wrote down, you can totally forego the epa paperwork...

THINK

3Leater
03-14-2003, 12:03 PM
YES!! I recieved shipment of my engine yesterday afternoon...happy camper http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

It took work but it can be done. Importing anything is not hard as long as you know the rules and everyone does there part the way they should especially when filling out the paperwork.

I'd encourage anyone that is willing to do the homework to import there own parts, while loosing a little time the cost savings were quite good.

eng_man
03-14-2003, 02:41 PM
Make sure that the bill of laden on your paperwork states that what is being shipped is a used engine, this is where I got jammed.

That's what mine is. I believe it is "S14 Used Gasoline Engine" IIRC.

how many days do you have left to clear your front clip before they destroy it?

anyway, how much did you claim as the value of the front clip? depending on what you wrote down, you can totally forego the epa paperwork...

Destroy it? After a certain date I have to pay $25/day to store it in the warehouse. Again the paperwork isn't in front of me right now but I think the declared value is ~$776.

eng_man
03-22-2003, 12:32 PM
Sorry for not posting sooner, but it turns out the problem was just the first Customs agent I talked to didn't know what he was talking about. Called and got a different agent who said come on down. 10 minutes later all the paperwork was done.

THEY have to fill out the paperwork, not me. It was Code W on EPA form 3520-1. Duties cost a whopping $14.03