PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with this statement?

bwalker240
03-15-2003, 01:43 PM
Does the oil light come on normally when you start the engine (like for 2 seconds or less) if it does that then it's most likely something mechanically wrong with the motor.

The reason I ask is because when I crank my engine (S14 SR)in the morning or after the engine has been sitting for awhile the oil light will light up momentarily and then stop. There used to be a slight metallic noise (not always - didn't seem like timing chain rattle) accompanying the light but after I put in my oil cooler, that noise has disappeared.

i'm wondering if there is somehow a clogged oil passage in some location that might be slowly hurting my engine over time.

Thanks

dsc
03-15-2003, 01:49 PM
If there is a problem, why would the light go off w/out atleast throwing a code?
I could be totally wrong but I thought all 240's did that.
My abs light and a bunch of others come on too, and I know they aren't all bad.

AZ_Dave
03-15-2003, 02:38 PM
That's normal...shouldn't be over 2 seconds tho

**DONOTDELETE**
03-15-2003, 02:39 PM
The statement is incorrect, I would expect to see the low oil pressure warning flash momentarily on startup.

AZ_Dave
03-15-2003, 02:43 PM
Oil filter can have an effect on how long the light stays on...some low grade filters drain back...so when you start the car, you have to fill the filter before it gets to the switch....not good.

Dave

JimStinksAtDorifto
03-16-2003, 03:24 AM
Right, buy an oil filter that has an "anti drainback valve"...should say so on the box. Remember, most engine wear is on cold startup.

DuffMan
03-16-2003, 11:39 AM
Mine stays on for a sec or 2 after starting, I assume that's how long it takes for pressure to fully build. The longest I've ever had it stay on was about 3 secconds immediately after an oil change. I'm not saying this is completely normal though, becuase it is an old motor. And DSC low oil pressure cannot cause an engine code.