PDA

View Full Version : Provisions for 245 on the front of an S13?

halz
03-26-2003, 03:55 AM
Tried searching, didn't find anything.

I recall some people having done this, at some point in history, and wanted to know what had been done to get the tires to fit with whatever it was that was being used (tire diameter, wheel size, coilovers, backspace, spacers, etc.).

Here is where I stand right now..
My objective is to run the largest, same size front and rear, tires I can, without making expensive accommodations to do so (ie, no fender flares or wide body kits..). The criteria of being able to rotate the front tires with the rear tires to increase tire longevity is a must, therefore, spacers on the front hub can and should be used to get the most exact fitment.

The hardware I am looking at for meeting that goal is:
K1s, 16x8.5 +27mm
Some coilovers
Victoracers, 245/45-16
5mm, or so, spacer for the front
-2 camber (preference to 'grip')
maaaybe roll the fenders a tad with a bat

..another question that just crossed my mind, if I may: In people's experience with staggered width setups, was tire wear uneven front to rear..? What was the alignment like? Depending on these answers, I might just try for also the widest in the rear..

Dorifto_PG
03-26-2003, 04:44 AM
Halz, I can tell you that my wheels were mounted on a friend's S14 before I bought them from him. They are 17x9 +30 and he was running 245/45/17's. I forget if he was runnign a spacr or not, but to my knowledge he had some custom setup coilovers that he had altered in some way. (I don't know how, all i know is he either made them or altered a previous setup. What he gained or lost i don't know).

Doing some math on my wheels vs. yours, You have 3.35mm more room than I between the outer lip and the fender. Also, you have 9.35mm more room between the inside edge of the wheel and the coilovers. You should be fine with a 5mm spacer and negative camber as far as clearance goes with the fender. And that is playing it safe, you should be fine without the spacer. The coilover clearance depends on the lower braket. I have seen TEIN brackets compared to JIC and Zeal lower brackets and the Zeals offer the most clearance, while the JIC is very close if not identical. The TEINS I have seen (HA's and HE's) have horrible clearance due to the spindle bolt holes being very close the the shock body. Since you roadrace and are sure to encounter more understeer/fender rubbing than me (most typical drifters) I would roll your fenders slightly and use significant spring rates. I remember when Alex had hte Zeal's with 6/5 rates and would rub ALL the time at the track. So maybe look at 8/7? Just a thought. Umm... ok, hope that helped.

Kookz
03-30-2003, 03:17 AM
Zeal's lower bracket is not as gapingly large as Apexi's! I thought the B6's looked to have a rather small lower bracket, and IIRC Alex has not had success in fitting a 9" +30 on them.

N1:
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/brjones/N1.jpg
B6:
http://www.worldwidechang.com/Pics/Cars/MyCar/Zeal2.jpg

What kind of coilovers are you running, Halz? I know you have 8/6 springs, right?

halz
03-30-2003, 08:26 AM
Ah yes.. a longer bracket would definitely help with fitting things. I wonder why Zeal opted for a shorter bracket, and how Apexi is getting away with a longer one. I imagine having the strut at a higher angle, relative to the steering angle (SAI or KPI) (strut top mount, to lower control arm ball joint), would put comparatively higher side loads on the struts internal bushings and increase friction/wear..

I have coilovers from DMS; 450lbs/in front, 350lbs/in rear (8.2/6.2, i think)

Some more recent measurements I've taken is making me realize 245 would not be possible with some other goals I am trying to meet in the front (More caster, less SAI/KPI, less scrub radius). 225 is looking to be the limit for me, while meeting those other goals.

This picture is of the front wheels turned out, showing only .25" between the edge of the tire and the coil at ride height.
http://www.dslextreme.com/users/awaher//cars/S13_front_clearance.JPG
Measuring the tire section width of 8.375" and working in the stock wheel +40mm offset, gives 5.75" (+ .25", would be 6") backspace in the front. So, for a close fit, I should be able to use the 16x8.5 wheel with a +27mm offset, 6mm spacer, 225/50 tire, and keep near .25" between the tire and coil. However, the section width of the 225 on the 8.5 wheel would require tweaking the front fender to get 'full-stroke clearance'. Actually.. if my diagram here on paper is okay, I could not use the 6mm spacer and have about 1mm or so between the tire and coil spring. Heh.. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dorifto_PG
03-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Zeal's lower bracket is not as gapingly large as Apexi's! I thought the B6's looked to have a rather small lower bracket, and IIRC Alex has not had success in fitting a 9" +30 on them.

My bad guys, i was thinking of the N1's. For some reason I said Zeals. Hmm. Maybe it becasue I want your coilovers BJones. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

JimStinksAtDorifto
03-30-2003, 11:39 PM
I have Tein HAs with 225/45/16 in front on Works with +32. I have ~1 inch clearance. Just a touch more than the handle of a 1/2" craftsman socket wrench. I would think 245s could work, be close.

Kookz
03-30-2003, 11:41 PM
I have Tein HAs with 225/45/16 in front on Works with +32. I have ~1 inch clearance. Just a touch more than the handle of a 1/2" craftsman socket wrench. I would think 245s could work, be close.

What width?