PDA

View Full Version : another KA block question

flip240
04-09-2003, 04:19 PM
first some info i got from a book...during the time when iron was used heavily in motors, alot of people used to search for 'seasoned' iron blocks to use for racing motors. These were blocks that had been used for a standard life which has allowed the block to settle and strengthen.. These blocks were then cleaned, checked, rebuilt, and prepped for race...

now... do our KA blocks benefit from 'seasoned' use? or do they contain so little iron material that it really doesn't matter? just wondering since i haven't heard much about this on the forums...

Kookz
04-09-2003, 04:21 PM
do our KA blocks benefit from 'seasoned' use? or do they contain so little iron material that it really doesn't matter?

Well, it's all iron. It would benefit from the heat cycling as any other motor would. Yeah, the GTR guys do the same.

flip240
04-09-2003, 10:20 PM
does it really not make that much a diff on the KA? how come nobody ever talks about it?

White_240sx
04-09-2003, 11:29 PM
I remember reading about the BMW F1 turbo engine of the 80's and how the selected block was from a road car with over 100,000 miles on it, the theory being that the work hardening and heat cycling would have worked out all the stresses, and I guess it worked. Though, I wouldn't think that any street built KA could exert forces on the block to cause it to fail, whether it be ‘seasoned’ or not.