PDA

View Full Version : question on pulling the head

HugeCanSpec
04-11-2003, 06:52 PM
my FSM doesnt state anything about the exhaust manifold except that I need to remove the EGR tube. Should I unbolt the heatshield and manifold from the head or should I leave it on and unbolt the lower part ?

insndrvr
04-11-2003, 07:06 PM
It can be done either way, it will probably be easier if you are planning on lifter the head off by yourself to disconnect the manifold from the head. If you are doing it with two people, sometimes leaving the manifolds attached to the head make for nice handels to reposition things when you are putting it back together. Good luck.

asad
04-11-2003, 07:59 PM
It's said to be easiest to pull the head with the intake and exhaust manifolds attached.

Asad

HugeCanSpec
04-11-2003, 08:12 PM
its amazing how much stuff they skip in the FSM. There are multiple things connected to the head which they dont even mention. Nissan needs to read a honda fsm and get it right.

HugeCanSpec
04-11-2003, 08:19 PM
could somebody pleae explain the easiest way to pull the head ? If i leave the intake mani on, do i pull off the collector too or just the manifold itself ?

mattmartindrift
04-11-2003, 08:54 PM
either will work...probably easier to pull it all...less bolts to undo

Mav1178
04-14-2003, 03:25 AM
its amazing how much stuff they skip in the FSM. There are multiple things connected to the head which they dont even mention. Nissan needs to read a honda fsm and get it right.

What FSM are you reading? The stuff they skip is "vacuum hoses, fuel tubes, wires, harness and connectors and so on."

If you have a FSM I find it IMPOSSIBLE for you to miss anything that they "skip" just because they don't list it. To remove the head off a KA, you should disconnect/remove the following:

-harness
-coolant hoses
-intake tube
-fan shroud
-exhaust downpipe
-vacuum hoses
-fuel hoses
-breather seperator tubes

And take off the head with intake/exhaust manifold attached. I pulled my head in my garage in 2001 with no prior knowledge of pulling a cylinder head, and I used the FSM and did it in under 4 hours.

-alex