PDA

View Full Version : OBDII and RB25 questions (help and suggestions)

Hawk28
04-15-2003, 09:12 PM
Ok i will try to keep this as short as possible.

I own a 1997 240sx SE and have just come across a smoking deal on a r33 clip. I have been planning to do the RB25det swap for a few months now but have been questioning it latley due to emissions.

My car is ODBII and as far as i understand there are no OBDII skylines so I need to find some way to get through emissions. the engine will pass a sniffer test and visual (workers here are retarded) but because its OBDII all they do is plug the scanner into my ECU and check for emissions equipment working properly.

this is a problem because the skyline obviously dosent have this capability.

it was just brought to my attention that Motorex has to have converted the r34's to OBDII, how did they do it?

any and ALL suggestions are welcome! PLEASE give me advice
PM me, email kamin@cox.net, AIM hawk0028

i need to figure this out somehow..

Mav1178
04-16-2003, 02:09 AM
Ask MotoRex about what's needed to convert to OBD-II.

-alex

Kookz
04-16-2003, 02:20 AM
I'd just like to say:

Thanks for actually giving shlt about emissions, there aren't enough people on this board that do.

Mav1178
04-16-2003, 04:19 AM
Thanks for actually giving shlt about emissions, there aren't enough people on this board that do.

Not to start a debate or defend anyone, but in some states (like AZ) the smog testing has to be done at state-run facilities... thus requiring the hookup of OBD-II if equipped with it.

-alex

Hawk28
04-16-2003, 04:55 AM

Not to start a debate or defend anyone, but in some states (like AZ) the smog testing has to be done at state-run facilities... thus requiring the hookup of OBD-II if equipped with it.

-alex

this is true, I KNOW the RB will pass a sniffer and visual test but they wont do eithre on a OBDII motor.

but yes i care about emissions and the enviornment http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

'97 S14 SE Turbo
04-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Last I heard, there's still some issues with some OBDII setup on the Skylines.

Wont' be cheap to get it OBDII for your '97 S14. Makes your good deal on the front clip useless.

For me, I faced that fact long ago, and went KA+T due to that reason. Az testing of OBDII car involves tailpipe, visual, OBDII, plus road simulation dyno load up to 40mph.

Hawk28
04-16-2003, 03:57 PM
Last I heard, there's still some issues with some OBDII setup on the Skylines.

Wont' be cheap to get it OBDII for your '97 S14. Makes your good deal on the front clip useless.

For me, I faced that fact long ago, and went KA+T due to that reason. Az testing of OBDII car involves tailpipe, visual, OBDII, plus road simulation dyno load up to 40mph.

no its just the OBDII scan tool.
i went through a month ago

drifts_14
04-16-2003, 04:47 PM
well sorry to say, but i dont have any sort of emissions testing and frankly i dont care that much as little as my 240 is being driven on the streets. I figure why pay $$$ (over $100) for a decent 3" cat to comply with the enviroment when i live next to people who burn their garbage and tires for fun.

'97 S14 SE Turbo
04-16-2003, 04:51 PM
I went though it couple of months ago. When they see your car is modified, and OBDII, they will test tail pipe, visual, etc...

Hawk28
04-16-2003, 07:05 PM
I went though it couple of months ago. When they see your car is modified, and OBDII, they will test tail pipe, visual, etc...

Really? hmm...

'97 S14 SE Turbo
04-16-2003, 08:14 PM
On my car, the testing was tailpipe during simulated road conditions. The guy had problems keeping the car from spooling and going too fast.

After that stuff, then moved my car to the OBDII test station. Proceeded to test fuel system by pressurizing the fuel tank to check EVAP system. Visually checked for the EVAP canister and other items related.

They then plug in the OBDII tester.

BTW, I'm in Metro Phoenix, Arizona. If you are in Az, go sign up at www.az240sx.org/bb (http://www.az240sx.org/bb) for a local board.

Hawk28
04-16-2003, 08:51 PM
Already on it, same username. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i would rather just have a sniffer than deal with this obdii bull****...

'97 S14 SE Turbo
04-16-2003, 09:21 PM
My Avatar is the same on both. White Bunny. (my nick name for my car.)