PDA

View Full Version : 300zx caliper bolt busted

ADAM HUTCHINSON
04-30-2003, 02:50 PM
hi guys,
i have the front 300zx 30mm aluminum calipers, one of the 4 bolts that hold the 2 halfs together broke at some point now the bolt is stuck in the caliper....any ideas on how to extract it, and replace it with a new one? also any clue on what the part number of that bolt would be?

i think it just fatigued from the heat and stress

McGuirk
04-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Part #: 41217-40P00
Shouldn't cost more than $5 bucks at your local Nissan dealer.

Extraction is pretty simple keeping in mind that there is a CLIP that holds the pin (or "bolt") in place to the caliper.

asad
04-30-2003, 04:39 PM
http://www.ubbcentral.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif He's not talking about the pad pins, he's talking about one of the 4 bridge bolts that actually hold the two caliper halves together.

Nissan doesn't list the bolts in the fiche, so there's no Nissan part number. You'll just have to source a new set from somewhere.

As for removing the old ones...I dunno -- where did the bolt break? If it broke near the head, you could just remove the rest of the bolts and take the caliper apart, and you could grab the shank of the bolt with vise-grips or something.

Asad

d240t2
04-30-2003, 05:25 PM
A bolt shop comes to mind. I replaced some of those bolts with stuff from the local parts slinger.

And for extracting it...get a screw extractor. I used to think they are crap, but they really do work.

Thx247
05-01-2003, 12:19 AM
its not something you can drill out? You could also tap the head and extract it with a std screw driver. Alot of machine shops can remove bolts without too much trouble.

Stan-O
05-01-2003, 12:27 AM
yeah it's easy if you know what to do. The easiest way is to use a left hand drill. Extremely hard to find one though. DO NOT TRY an extractor! You'll just screw it up worse, i have yet to see one actually work without breaking.

If you are very careful, you can drill it out. Start with a small drill (1/8") and carefully centerpunch the center of the bolt (get as close as you can) and drill through it. Next drill it to the tap drill size (Diameter - Pitch eg if it's a 6mm x 1.0mm pitch the tap drill woud be 5mm) and then use a tap to remove the rest of it.

or another option that works well is have a welder weld a nut on to the broken stud. If it's a caliper, you'll want to stayt away from this, as the heat from the weld will melt all the seals in the caliper. but it's another option.

Stan-O

05-01-2003, 12:57 AM
yeah it's easy if you know what to do. The easiest way is to use a left hand drill. Extremely hard to find one though. DO NOT TRY an extractor! You'll just screw it up worse, i have yet to see one actually work without breaking.

???

Extractors work. I remember a long, long, lonnnggg time ago, I broke an extractor. It was probably a cheap one made of inappropriate material.

Your other suggestions are good, though.

1mns13
05-01-2003, 01:08 AM
I would probably just buy a rebuilt caliper.

Stan-O
05-01-2003, 08:29 AM
Extractors work. I remember a long, long, lonnnggg time ago, I broke an extractor. It was probably a cheap one made of inappropriate material.

Your other suggestions are good, though.

Well Extractors will work if you use them correctly, 9 times out of ten, people don't use them correctly, it's like using a tap, if you don't start it square, it will break.

Not too many people know how to correctly use an extractor, plus there is a lot of junk tools out there that simply won't work. Ever go buy a cheap china made tap and have it break on the first hole?? I havent, because i know better than to buy crap tools. But i have seen it many times.

Stan-O

d240t2
05-01-2003, 01:11 PM
So...in other words, exactly what I said in one line above.

I used to think extractors were crap, but they really do work. If you use a tool incorrectly, you can mess stuff up, no matter what the tool. Extractors are no different.

Dennis