PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of Greddy oil pan fitment probs?

Blugin
05-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Well, we dropped the SR in. I have a Greddy oilpan and a Whiteline front swaybar. Every Greddy pan I've seen fits perfectly and lines up on the bottom with the swaybar. Well, the fins on mine almost touch the top of the Whiteline bar andI'm afraid that when the engine torques that it will hit. Does anyone have a solution to this? My guess is that the Whiteline is shaped differently and my only 2 thoughts are to try to drop the swaybar down with washers, a plate and longer bolts on th middle bushings or to put the front swaybar from the front clip in (I tossed my stock bars). Any suggestions??

Mav1178
05-07-2003, 03:51 AM
Did you use stock KA engine mounts?

-alex

Blugin
05-07-2003, 05:30 PM
The KA mounts were toast, so I used the ones from the clip. Is that the problem?

Blugin
05-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Bump for answer.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-08-2003, 01:28 PM
I think the Nismo mounts will make the motor sit a bit higher. I also have whiteline front, SR and greddy pan and I will tell you how it fits next week...

Mav1178
05-08-2003, 02:53 PM
Are you sure everything is aligned? Is the frame straight? Were the Whiteline bars installed properly?

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
05-08-2003, 04:50 PM
this is probably a stupid question, but how could you install the Whiteline bar incorrectly? It only goes one way...

Ahhsk
05-08-2003, 10:38 PM
Do a search for whiteline installation and youll be shocked about how many times it has been discussed. I wish I had the info handy Id post it for you.

NOSTALGIC_HERO
05-09-2003, 12:39 AM
hope you didnt install your sway bar upside down.

Blugin
05-09-2003, 02:02 PM
I think it would be pretty hard to install it upside down... Besides, the center of the bar (the part in question) would be in the same place anyway since it is straight and it pivots on that part. Besides, the whiteline sticker isn't upside down. Hmmm, I'll have to take a pic I guess...

Ambush_Paddington
05-09-2003, 02:15 PM
cant u guys see his avitar, its because he's putting it on a scoobie....duh http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Blugin
05-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Doh! Actually, that's my other car... The 240 was supposed to be the daily driver. Actually, I dont know if any of you guys read Modified Mag, my WRX was in the article about austrailian performance parts in the Apr/ 03 issue with the rx7 on the cover... Kinda upset that they didnt mention anything about the car though, just lots of pics. Anyway, the Silvia *should* be in Sport Compact car soon when I finish it.

NOSTALGIC_HERO
05-10-2003, 02:34 PM
easy to install swaybar upside down.. fitment problems? never, unless you did something wrong... like.. try to make your own motor mount brackets, thus shoving the motor forward....

also, "should be in sportcompact" ... is that something to aspire to???

doing "the swap", haha, its been so done since like 95'

i was a newb in 99/00, here we are in 2003, and holy crap the 240 swap! gotta get into SS!!

man...

Blugin
05-11-2003, 05:56 AM
easy to install swaybar upside down.. fitment problems? never, unless you did something wrong... like.. try to make your own motor mount brackets, thus shoving the motor forward....

also, "should be in sportcompact" ... is that something to aspire to???

doing "the swap", haha, its been so done since like 95'

i was a newb in 99/00, here we are in 2003, and holy crap the 240 swap! gotta get into SS!!

man...

That's just nice... Maybe I should tell you I've been doing this car thing for a while. I ask questions because I like to hear from the exprience of others. Maybey I should have also said that Sport Compact already agreed to do an article and I've been talking to the writer for over a month. Please aspire not to take a condescending attitude- thanks. Let's try to be mature.

Ambush_Paddington
05-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Ill smack those magazine fools if they even came close to my car with their camera's...

NOSTALGIC_HERO
05-12-2003, 02:37 PM
car shoot? ill shoot it for ya, no 1 month of talk needed! haha

i hear ya eloy.. damn posers....

okay, mature mode engaged, what will this car shoot be of? your car? with what setup? im curious.. you could actually do it right....

NOSTALGIC_HERO
05-12-2003, 02:51 PM
thinking about this... haha! who arranges a car shoot before they have a finished car? i mean... what merits does the car have that would make it worth of being shown

like- what events has it won? what new technological advances does it have? are you running a new setup that is previously unseen? does it have something that makes it special???

or is it just "another swap/paint/strutbars/painted calipers and +45 18" RiMz"

hmm, sorry to thread jack

bringing things back to oil pan status... i would suggest people look at the tomei oil pan (cast aluminum tends to crack when impacted---- LIKE WHEN YOU GO OFF COURSE CAUSE YOUR CAR ACTUALLY DOES STUFF AND NOT POSE)

cdn_w_sr20
05-12-2003, 03:13 PM
You mean like the one on this page?

http://splparts.com/Silvia/Engine/Tomei.asp

Made of metal, I prefer cast alluminum. Yes it will crack if hit hard. The question is would you rather flip the bill for the $200 ARC/Trust oil pan or flip the bill when you engine flips a rod out of the block because your metal oilpan got dented and affected the oil pickup?

It depends how you are looking at things in all reality. For the average SR driver I dont see the oilpan getting hit that hard unless your doing unusual things with your car. C'mon most pans are dented because they were sitting on them for months or years at a time.

Not only that but $450 for the tomei pan, are you kidding me.

iHATEstupidity
05-12-2003, 04:09 PM
The question is would you rather flip the bill for the $200 ARC/Trust oil pan or flip the bill when you engine flips a rod out of the block because your metal oilpan got dented and affected the oil pickup?

if you knew a bit more you'd realize that a broken aluminum oil pan would lead to a more catastrophic engine failure than a dented steel one. this is not to say that cast alum. oil pans are bad, but if you were to hit something hard enough to crack one open, you can be guaranteed your motor will be more toast (usually beyond the possibility of a rebuild) than the motor with a metal pan presented with an impact of the same force.

THINK

cdn_w_sr20
05-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Either way though your oil is gone and your screwd. Here is the question though. Has anybody on FA ever cracked a greddy/trust or arc oilpan? You would have to really do something harsh to break it. My engine was sitting on the ARC pan I have for a month as it is.

iHATEstupidity
05-12-2003, 04:26 PM
probably not on FA..
but i have several friends who have broken open cast aluminum oil pans and killed their motors beyond repair before. (the difference is in having a gradual decrease in oil pressure vs. an almost instantaneous drop to 0psi oil pressure when you blow out an alum pan.) would that deter me from ever getting an alum pan myself? nope

THINK

cdn_w_sr20
05-12-2003, 04:41 PM
I know we dropped the oil pan from like just above 6 feet to the cement on the garage floor when we took it out of the cabinet to put onto the motor. Nothing happened to it. My thinking is it would take somebody to drive over a curb going at a good rate of speed to hurt one. Unless people are lowering their cars excessively.

My problem with the tomei is simple, its not worth the money for it. It is cheaper to mod the stock oilpan than to pay $450 for the tomei. I'm sure somebody could make a heavy duty steel oilpan for the SR. Would just taking some good welding... Which makes me wonder, why doesn't somebody do that already? A thick steel pan is obviously the safest way of going.

Blugin
05-13-2003, 01:55 AM
thinking about this... haha! who arranges a car shoot before they have a finished car? i mean... what merits does the car have that would make it worth of being shown

like- what events has it won? what new technological advances does it have? are you running a new setup that is previously unseen? does it have something that makes it special???

or is it just "another swap/paint/strutbars/painted calipers and +45 18" RiMz"

hmm, sorry to thread jack

bringing things back to oil pan status... i would suggest people look at the tomei oil pan (cast aluminum tends to crack when impacted---- LIKE WHEN YOU GO OFF COURSE CAUSE YOUR CAR ACTUALLY DOES STUFF AND NOT POSE)

godziRa: No, I'm sorry, I'm a poser. You got me, caught me red handed, I guess I'll remove those chrome 20" Niches and neon. What was I thinking trying to get in a magazine. I lied none of it's true.

I'm not even going to justify your questions with a legitimate answer because you are just trying to get some insignifigant little pleasure out of berating me. If you would have ben cool about it, I would have responded with an answer to your questions. So stop threadjacking. Thanks.

Anyway, to everyone else, I am positive that the swaybar is installed correctly, I am pretty sure that it's the angle of the bar that's different than stock. It does tap the bar just a little bit sooo, I'm probably going to grind down just the front tips of the fins and it will clear fine. Thanks for the input everyone. Sorry to start a flame war over something so insignifigant.

cdn_w_sr20
05-13-2003, 08:56 AM
FYI your sway bar would have to be in nearly 2 inches or more to create fitment problems. I am doubting the whiteline would do something like that.

hssaini
05-13-2003, 09:04 AM
Can you take pictures and post??......i think if we see it,we will be able to diagnose the problem better and help resolve this issue...

RINKU

cdn_w_sr20
05-13-2003, 10:20 AM
How much space do you have between the crossmember and oilpan? I know with my setup the Power Steering lines fit in there and then you may have 1/8 inch of space after that. Is there a chance your engine is sitting to much forward for some reason?

NOSTALGIC_HERO
05-13-2003, 02:04 PM
like custom motor mount brackets (cough) j/k i know they are most likely stock.. hmm did you get the proper sway?

and like cdn said, its like 2" clearance.. something is messed up here... are your endlinks installed correctly? (like unde the LCA (somehow i dont know what you guys did, causing the middle of the bar to protrude up???

**DONOTDELETE**
05-13-2003, 02:06 PM
thinking about this... haha!

THINK ABOUT THIS *****, your life consists of being a flaming ass troll and your $hit is so weak you cant back it up. I saw your site, it is proof of this.

I was going to keep my mouth shut, but I was looking around at some other threads (because Blugin and his friends are bringing me to the Nissan side of things and my honda is weak) and you seem as though you just can't keep your $hit talking mouth shut. AND WHO THE F#CK ARE YOU TO BE CALLING ANYONE NOOB OR POSER? As far as car stuff goes I'M YOUR DADDY and BLUGIN IS YOUR UNCLE, or maybee your just our little $hit talking ***** (who likes it in the face).
Blugin has a very nice car and has done more SR swaps than you have dreamed about. If you dont believe me, bring your $hit to texas and find out how weak your $hit is. OH and pack a lunch because were gona be whoopin your ass all day long.

EDIT: the ass whooping would be car related, I'm not a violent person. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

iHATEstupidity
05-13-2003, 02:49 PM
you make me embarassed to be vietnamese...but i feel the shame every time i look at pics from import car shows anyway

THINK

NOSTALGIC_HERO
05-13-2003, 03:17 PM
but i feel the shame every time i look at pics from import car shows anyway

van, you reffering to the USDM vs, JDM thighs comparo that richard had on his site?

Tomei oil pan would be a great pan to "duplicate" planning my own pan actually, 1/8" aluminum braked plate with american trap doors (from like milodon or something)
but yeah, basically done like the tomei, and have a few 1" wide aluminum support strips welded on (like how garage GOING does their RB oil pan modifications)

Mav1178
05-13-2003, 03:40 PM
THINK ABOUT THIS *****, your life consists of being a flaming ass troll and your $hit is so weak you cant back it up. I saw your site, it is proof of this.

And you (and everyone else) think about this: permanent bans are being dished out right now.

-alex

Blugin
05-13-2003, 04:44 PM
I'll take some pics of the swaybar today and post them up. I'll get pics from the top and the bottom. Thanks everyone!

**DONOTDELETE**
05-13-2003, 11:54 PM
oh now we jump back to the oil pan subject hahah *****.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-14-2003, 01:12 AM
well the issue isnt the fact that the sway bar is snuggled right next to the oil pan... there is approx 1" of clearance... the problem is that i think the SR motor mounts from the clip are toasty.. getting that top mounted engine brace in addition to the nismo mount kit (engine and tranny) will reduce the ph33r factor of the swaybar hitting the oil pan.

and just to let you guys know Blugin is a stand up guy, if he is gonna be in sport compact i would believe...the only time he ever lied was when he said his WRX was faster than my Silvia....heheeh

NOSTALGIC_HERO
05-14-2003, 04:05 PM
Blugin is a stand up guy, if he is gonna be in sport compact i would believe

never any doubt, just no understanding why.

try the nismo mounts. make sure you get both left and right as they are different #'s...

http://splparts.com/Silvia/Engine/TomeiOilPan.jpg

next up on the fab list.. look how much smaller the trap doors are on this vs. the greddy one too.... hmm very interesting...

also, ARES is supposedly coming out with a pan shield (ahem with revised logo) smile asad http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif