PDA

View Full Version : Idle, power loss and stalling problem.

tmerrick
05-10-2003, 02:09 PM
Setup: Stock SR20DET, Blitz Bov, Stock MAF, Stock Fuel Pump & Injectors. Also a S-AFC but no fuel curves mapped.
Have had the sr20 installed for about a year minor problems with idle have been around the whole time but it is getting worse it seems.

Problem:
1) While driving if I am slowing down for a stop light say I am in 3rd gear and let off the gas as soon as i left off the gas (most of the time) it doesnt slowly coast like it should (and used to) it like jerks back a little like it lost a bunch of power all of the sudden.

2) Sometimes it idles at 850 others a 1200 and lately while waiting to pull out of a driveway or parking lot, it has been dropping real low and then bouncing back up once it is around 250 and has even stalled once, i usually try to rev it some if i catch it so it doesnt stall.

3) Last one http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif somtimes while acclerating fast from a start it seems like the power isnt being applied to the wheels at all, i can hear the turbo and engine but it seems to be losing all the power for a moment and then itll kick in, while other times it acts perfect really taking off like i am used to. this also happens on small hills/in traffic where you just need to give it a little gas to move up a little it like jumps forward with alot of power and then as soon as I let off it jerks back some.

Solutions???? The things I think I need to check / replace are: maybe a bad MAF giving bad readings to the ECU, dirty throttle body? Fuel pump is dying.

Please give me all the hints/tips/ideas you have I really need to get this running smoother before I start upgrading stuff.

NOSTALGIC_HERO
05-10-2003, 02:49 PM
ooooh! very good questions.. the mafs is sooo KEY to the operation of the motor, its like the top sensor in eccs operation, so making sure that thing gets proper signal (little to no resistance) clean hotwires (run dry type air filters only, i dont trust K/N oil crap) perioically spray some carb cleaner in the maf when car is off to clean the wires, check connectors, make sure those are clean as well..

second thing to check- check your iacv.. take some time to take your manifold apart and remove the iacv, clean it out with carb cleaner, make sure connections are there (you have power to the iacv too -blk/yel wire i beleive)
reinstall, and test.

3rd- clean throttle plate and make sure TPS is giving correct range of readings(with multimeter.. readjust so low setting is correct, and high setting is correct.. make sure that the resistance is a smooth sweep with not spikes or spots as you move the sensor arm.

4th- pull the fuel pump and inspect connections, replace the fuel filter in the engine bay, its been a year- replace with Z32/S14 whatever, they all work equally well

5th-vacuum lines, try to replace with silicon line, zip tie ends, make sure wastegate actuator line is getting vaccuum signal from the big nipple above the throttle body. (that "no-power" issue could be attributed to poor signal to the wastegate-- also inspect turbo if there are no substantial cracks around wastegate port or wastegate flap, make sure wastegate is indeed closing completely)

reset timing, set hot idle, and make sure injectors are clean... that should get you tuned for the summer!!
OH! and get some new 6 heat range plugs. prfb6-11 i beleive

good to go!

peace

NOSTALGIC_HERO
05-10-2003, 02:53 PM
oh, you running that blitz? change to a HKS ssqv, no problems with decel..

also you finish painting that beast yet? haha!! peace bro

tmerrick
05-13-2003, 08:52 PM
No still no paint yet, Ive got about half of a S13 Silvia Front end conversion parts still looking for the rest.

I ordered the HKS SSQV BOV Kit today with the polished pipe and I think my 3 Core Aluminum GP Sports Type R Radiator should be here any time as well.

Thanks for all of the ideas I will let you know how it turns out.

tmerrick
05-14-2003, 01:46 PM
When you said the SSQV BOV would fix my problems did you mean just that unit or the extra addon for the recirculation fitting/feature?

NOSTALGIC_HERO
05-14-2003, 03:55 PM
that actual unit itself
is awesome.

tmerrick
05-24-2003, 03:54 PM
The HKS BOV fixed the idle and it was pretty stable and then yesterday I started doing the other maintence things.
So i cleaned out hte maf while the car was off with carb cleaner. and now the car wont idle on its own with the maf plugged in? Any ideas.
I fixed / replaced some vac lines and I am going to get spark plugs now.
The GP Sports Radiator is on and so is the cooling panel pics to come.

I need to get the car running I have to go back home tommorrow and would like to take my car instead of our old junker 84 Accord