PDA

View Full Version : Short Shifters??? OBX vs RVM..

SR_PILOT
05-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Im looking to finally get rid of the sloppy play my s13 tranny has..i dont want to spend a grip of money and buys C's. I was looking at ebay and saw 2 different types..the obx of course everyone knows about..than the rvm looks the same but the kit comes with the boot that i need.. and the shaft is Stainless steel. obx is Aluminum..Any comments will help.. the Rvm kit on ebay is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10368&item=2414658 317

cdn_w_sr20
05-12-2003, 03:46 PM
If your gonna pay $75 for a cheap shifter why not go the distance and spend the $195 for a B&M from Enjuku racing. I had an tomei short shifter for 6 months, it was an ok feel. I believe the others are all just cheap copies of the tomei at best. But dollar for dollar the B&M is twice as good as any of them since its a solid short shifter. A Brand New complete shift plate and everything.

hssaini
05-12-2003, 03:49 PM
I never heard of RVM before.....but it looks very similar to OBX....i personally have OBX and it works just fine....The NEW OBX shifter is no longer two piece, its all one piece and it doesn't come off like the first generation OBX used to.....

my .02

RINKU

PS. I were you, i go with OBX knowing its good for our cars, but than you may opt to go for something different, a change is not always bad.....

RINKU

SR_PILOT
05-12-2003, 03:54 PM
Ive looked into the B&M...Ive heard they are really noisy..and heard about fitment problems in JDM trannys..but i dont know about that..it is a cleanest looking unit out right now..

Dousan_PG
05-12-2003, 03:56 PM
Ive looked into the B&M...Ive heard they are really noisy..and heard about fitment problems in JDM trannys..but i dont know about that..it is a cleanest looking unit out right now..

eh? fitment issues in SR tranny?!

jspec has one in their yellow s13 project car...works great.

cdn_w_sr20
05-12-2003, 03:58 PM
fitment problems? I installed mine on the weekend, nothing too it. You just take off the entire shifter plate that bolts to the transmission and then bolt the B&M one its in place. They will rattle a bit at high RPMS but the shift feel you get in my opinion is way better than the tomei shifter I had before. The B&M is superior to OBX and others in pretty much ever way imaginable.

As well, the plate used with the B&M Shifter has a smaller hole where the shifter goes into. I noticed this when I first got mine. The shifts are incredibly short.

SR_PILOT
05-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Is the Nismo shifter a solid shifter..I heard the throw is almost stock..But very solid..no play..

cdn_w_sr20
05-12-2003, 04:05 PM
I've only seen pictures of the nismo shifter so I can't really say how good it is or isn't. I've read it doesn't change the shift points it just uses a solid shaft rather than that hollow p.o.c stock shaft.

SR_PILOT
05-12-2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys.Im placing the order for the B&M today..

cdn_w_sr20
05-12-2003, 04:36 PM
You will be very happy with it. Considering enjuku is offering that price right now, its a deal you really can't refuse. The shifter comes complete when you order ready to bolt in and comes with this little round B&M Shift Knob. If your engine/transmission is already installed and you dont want to drop the tranny I would suggest getting some extremely stubby wrenches as two of the six bolts are a bit of a pain to get in.

Hugh
05-13-2003, 12:29 AM
No need to waste extra $100 on a damn shifter. The OBX works great. I have the first generation that sucked, and it still kicks ass. My shift feel is totally solid, no rattles, no noise.

The Tomei shifter you described is not a fair comparison to the OBX, as it didn't have a ring to raise the fulcrum, right? The OBX has a pretty short throw compared to the typical JDM shifter, and in my opinion is the best bang for the buck possible.

cdn_w_sr20
05-13-2003, 08:48 AM
1Bad180sx, if you ever did try the B&M Shifter out you would notice why I told him to get it. It is by far superior to the cheaper shifters. You get a much better feel, the shifts are easy as heck and there is no way in heck you can miss a shift. The tomei I had was great and I only bought the B&M for the price, but now that I have the B&M I am glad i bought it.

SHIFT_nismo
05-13-2003, 02:58 PM
I have the OBX short Shifter its a little loose i cant figure out why though anyone else have this problem?

cdn_w_sr20
05-13-2003, 03:16 PM
Are your bolts in tight and is the shifter all the way into the tranny?

hssaini
05-13-2003, 03:32 PM
I have the OBX short Shifter its a little loose i cant figure out why though anyone else have this problem?

i used to have that problem....
Few things....
1) Make sure you shifter is in right way. Shifter has an angle to it.....if its in right, it will feel and look ok, if it is not right, it will look like you have to go way down to get into a gear on one side.....

2) the bolts that hold up the square plate, make sure they are not too tight......just do them hand tight and than couple of more turns with the l key....if they are too tight, your shifter will not work right...they are suppose to be little lose to work right.....

3) the plates that go in obx they should go in the shifter like this ( ) not vice versa. Make sure the bolt in 2 above is also going thru that so its nice and secured..if one of the corners don't go thru this plates....the shifter will not work right....rattling/shifting problems...

4) make sure u install a new shifter bushing.....1.76 from dealer....usually in stock

RINKU

SHIFT_nismo
05-13-2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks i think it might be the bushing.