PDA

View Full Version : Kaaz fun

asad
05-17-2003, 02:15 AM
Tonight I decided to take a look at my Kaaz to see what would be needed to mod open diff output shafts to work with it...

things to note:
1) open diff output shafts are NOT the same length -- one side is slightly longer (around 1/4" or so, and the circlip groove is also moved by that amount) than the other, and it doesn't look like the longer one can be used.

2) The Kaaz does NOT have grooves for the output shaft circlips -- rather, it looks like the circlips (which should be installed on the output shafts BEFORE inserting them into the diff) click past a small lip on each of the diff side gears, which then keeps the shafts from pulling out.

3) just by looking and playing around with the various parts, it DOES appear that cutting down the open diff output shaft will work -- remember, you can only use the SHORTER of the two output shafts. My rough measurements indicate that about 1/2" needs to be machined off the ends of the shafts -- I'll get a better measurement tomorrow.

Here are some pics:

http://apps.freshalloy.com/gallery/album53

MATT_BACK_VASS
05-17-2003, 12:51 PM
hrm. or maybe cutting another circlip groove ??

grinder
05-17-2003, 07:12 PM
My rough measurements indicate that about 1/2" needs to be machined off the ends of the shafts -- I'll get a better measurement tomorrow.

so both side(output) shafts have to have 1/2" machined off?

would the shorter side shaft fit on the otherside?

cdn_w_sr20
05-17-2003, 08:21 PM
Isn't Kaaz developing a newly designed LSD that will use stock shafts? Thats what i've been told at least, and why i'm sorta waiting...

Trunk
05-17-2003, 09:31 PM
I believe ATS already makes one for the open diff rear end. But their site isn't very clear as far as RWD apps go. They retail for over what Kaaz does, but you wouldn't have to wait for them to develop it.

asad
05-17-2003, 10:02 PM
so both side(output) shafts have to have 1/2" machined off?

I have to revisit this issue...I took some measurements today and they confused me slightly, so I need to look at what needs to be done more carefully.

would the shorter side shaft fit on the otherside?

Machining will be needed, period. Here's what I do know: You will have to use 2 of the short open diff shafts, and you will have to machine both of them. What is currently unknown is how much they have to be machined, and how the circlip issue will resolve itself. I tried putting the circlip on the output shaft first and then inserting it into the open diff -- and that just didn't work because the circlip groove on the output shaft just isn't deep enough to allow the circlip to compress fully and allow the shaft to slide into the diff. The circlip groove on the shaft might need to be machined deeper as well.

Asad

Mikes14240sx
05-18-2003, 12:58 AM
I tried putting the circlip on the output shaft first and then inserting it into the open diff

Asad

Did you mean to say, insert it into the kaaz diff?

I should be getting my side shafts in this week and a second open carrier. I'll take some pics of the shafts kaaz says to use compaired with the shorter open diff. shaft if you like.

asad
05-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Did you mean to say, insert it into the kaaz diff?

No, I tried to insert it into the open diff -- solely to check whether the circlip could compress enough while inserting, not whether it would click into place in the Kaaz.

I should be getting my side shafts in this week and a second open carrier. I'll take some pics of the shafts kaaz says to use compaired with the shorter open diff. shaft if you like.

That would be most excellent.

Asad

Dousan_PG
05-18-2003, 07:54 PM
Isn't Kaaz developing a newly designed LSD that will use stock shafts? Thats what i've been told at least, and why i'm sorta waiting...

yes, in the works. upgraded as well http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif