PDA

View Full Version : new clutch is slipping

jmcn
05-17-2003, 10:03 PM
I've put about 80 miles on my new SPEC Stage III clutch and fidanza flywheel combo and the slipping seems just as bad as before (with a stock clutch) if not worse. With the transmission fully warmed up on the highway in any gear the clutch slips as soon as I hit boost. I've been going very easy on the clutch trying to break it in, but the slippage is hardly avoidable. I have no accelerate in vacuum if I don't want the clutch to slip.

Should I just give the clutch more time with easy driving? Or is it time to call SPEC and troubleshoot this problem?

DaveEEE
05-17-2003, 10:06 PM
I was about to blast you for not breaking it in more than 80miles, but then I read the rest of your post. :P I'd definitley say you have a problem. When I was breaking in my ACT, I'm sure I hit a couple pounds here and there and never noticed any slippage early on. Maybe more time will help?

Dave

uiuc240
05-17-2003, 10:22 PM
"Break-in" does not mean "drive slower than you ever would on a normal day". The main objective is to keep you from popping the clutch in, taking it to the track, and running 10 passes down the strip. I got my ACT clutch and from the very first day, I found out what a full boost highway roll-on felt like http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You definitely have a problem with the clutch. Have you checked to see if the pedal is adjusted properly? I hadn't bothered to do that with mine until I couldn't shift at all last week. I put it in OEM specs and the difference is AMAZING. It never was right, apparently.

Also, do you know that your clutch slave and master are working properly?

I'm just throwing out possibilities. Did you get any grease on the disc when you put it in? Oil? Did you check your main seal?

Eric

rextreme
05-17-2003, 11:44 PM
I have the same exact setup. Flywheel and clutch (except mine is ceramic). Mine has never slipped. Not even 27psi. Check that your clutch is completely engaging. If it is, perhaps the friction surfaces aren't clean or your real main seal is shot.

jmcn
05-18-2003, 07:58 PM
The clutch was professionally installed, but I was there helping during the process. The surfaces were definitely clean when we put them in. I didn't see oil or oily residue in the bell housing if that's what I should be looking for (?). During regular shifting and in lower gears it's pretty normal.

The break-in instructions say city or city-mix, so I suppose extended highway use isn't ideal. I will keep breaking it in around town before I bring it back out on the highway I guess. This is all pretty discouraging though. I really don't want to pull the tranny out again--it's such a pain in the ass (as I'm sure many of you know).

Thx247
05-18-2003, 09:31 PM
really sounds like your clutch was not installed properly, or something else is preventing it from operating properly.

Kookz
05-18-2003, 11:11 PM
Maybe there's a problem with your slave cylinder...you seem to be having slippage problems with all your clutches that aren't normal. It's worth the $5 rebuild kit or even $40 from Nissan reman'd to not have to drop the tranny again. You've removed the damper, right?

orion
05-18-2003, 11:17 PM
Sounds to me like the hydraulic system is holding pressure (as has been suggested).

Does the clutch pedal have pressure as soon as you step on it???

If so, adjust the freeplay so it has some slack at the top but still disengages completely.

Good luck - Brian