PDA

View Full Version : Plugs for a Silvia motor?

97 S14
07-13-2001, 10:37 AM
Hey guys with silvia motors... what plugs are you running? We're going to change plugs in the silvia tonight because the car has been breaking up on the top end recently. We are running some Bosch standard platinum plugs made for the NA 300ZX... not the 4 point plugs. They worked fine on stock boost, but not holding up for 14-15 psi. Anyone here know the proper NGK plugs to run? If not then I'll be picking up a set of NGK PFR6B-11B's (#6 heat range plugs for TT 300ZX's) and see how those run.

95silvia
07-14-2001, 11:45 PM
I had big problems with Bosch plugs cleared right up as soon as I went back to NGK

**DONOTDELETE**
07-15-2001, 12:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 95silvia:
I had big problems with Bosch plugs cleared right up as soon as I went back to NGK<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, if you call NGK and can find a tech who knows enough about the JDM motors, they will tell you about how finnicky the SR20's coil packs are. there are rare cases of coil packs going bad from using other-make plugs! I **** you not..

Demon

97 S14
07-15-2001, 02:46 PM
Well I got a set of 4 NGK PFR6B-11B plugs which are the #6 plugs for the 300ZX TT (1 heat range cooler than stock). These are the preferred plugs of TT Z owner's who have modified their cars. Because the internals of the SR20DET and the VG30DETT are very similar (same compression ratio, same size cylinders/pistons/etc) that these would probally work. So far we have been very happy with how well they have worked. By changing the plugs the boost is MUCH more stable on the top end... we thought the boost controller on his car (profec A) wasn't holding, turns out the plugs were just blowing out. The plugs run about $28/set of 4 from Courtesy... just in case anyone is wondering. BTW Vince is the only one to talk to at Courtesy.

07-15-2001, 03:42 PM
In case this is news...Vince just sent a message to the SE-R list saying he was leaving Courtesy to start his own shop, called Throttle Position Motorsports or something like that. He says he'll still be able to get deals on OEM stuff though.

Also, you can talk to Steve Richardson at Courtesy Nissan, he'll also give you the 240sx discount.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 97 S14:
BTW Vince is the only one to talk to at Courtesy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>