Thank you for contacting XM Satellite Radio. XM is available as a
factory installed option on 2004 Maximas. If your car is not equipped
with XM, it should be pre-wired for it. Please contact your local Nissan
dealership's parts or service department for information on ordering and
installing the additional equipment that is required in order to receive
our service.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to send an
additional email. As always, you can view our website for all the
latest updates at: http://www.xmradio.com.

Our Listener Care Centers hours of operation are as follows:

Monday - Saturday: 10 AM - 11 PM EST
Sunday: 12 PM - 8 PM EST

Thank you,
Robyn G
XM's Listener Care Representative

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

First Name: Ron
Last Name: Steinbach
Email Address: ronsteinbach@cox.net
XM Subscriber: false
Comment: I just bought an '04 Nissan Maxima. Nissan advertises that it
has "Satellite-radio capability". On my Bose stereo, there is a button
marked "SAT". How can I get XM radio?

oolatec
06-04-2003, 12:18 AM
From what I read in the Owner's Manual, you just need to get it programmed/registered correctly. I can't recall how it is supposed to be done, but surely the dealer would know. I doubt if any additional "equipment" has to be installed though. It should be good to go as-is. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LDLDL
06-04-2003, 08:08 AM
From what I read in the Owner's Manual, you just need to get it programmed/registered correctly. I can't recall how it is supposed to be done, but surely the dealer would know. I doubt if any additional "equipment" has to be installed though. It should be good to go as-is. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The additional equipment needed would be the receiver and antenna.

jaak
06-09-2003, 09:06 AM
Yeah, you need either the XM receiver or the Sirius reciever and a corresponding subscription.

The Max has to be prewired as well. If you have an empty 12 pin connector on the back of your radio, it's not pre-wired. This is the current problem on the Murano and early G35's. Nissan hasn't released any wiring harnesses for either, at this time. The FX comes pre-wired, as do the current shipping G35's.

So, if you have the harness, it should be pretty easy...

jaak
06-23-2003, 02:26 PM
There's a harness out, that will probably work on the Max.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Maximas have to be ordered from the factory pre-wired with the tuner and antenna installed. If you have a vehicle without a system factory installed you are SOL.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-15-2003, 12:12 PM
Wiring harness for infiniti G35 now works with 2004 maxima and murano. I just installed mine and it works great!

Check the G35 forum for info on how to get this harness and XM reciever.

I got mine from Grubbs Infiniti in Dallas/Fort Worth.

jetskidj
07-15-2003, 01:35 PM
I'm picking up my 2K4 in the AM. It has everything but a XM radio that i wanted. So this is good information about Grubbs. DO you have a picture of the Antenna that came with the kit from Grubbs?

**DONOTDELETE**
07-15-2003, 06:27 PM
Hi,
I don't have a photo of it, but it is a clarion model designed to attach near the rear center of your back window. I had a Delphi Ski-fi unit that I was using, and I put the antenna for this on the rear deck (inside the car) instead. I get great reception and I don't have to run the wires outside the car. The ski fi antenna had the same plugs as the supplied Clarion antenna.

bradshaw46
07-15-2003, 08:39 PM
I checked out the info on Grubbs website - looks like they sell both the receiver *and* the wiring harness. I'd *love* to get satellite radio...my Max wasn't pre-wired and if anyone buys the Grubbs kit and gets it installed in their Max, *PLEASE* post some instructions and any issues you ran into. I'm halfway tempted to go ahead and buy it and give it a try myself, but I have no idea how to connect the wiring harness to the head unit. I love the fact that you can mount the antenna on the rear shelf - the factory installed antenna looks like crap.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-16-2003, 01:56 PM
When Grubbs sends you the receiver and harness, they also send instructions for the G35 Infiniti. These instructions are virtually the same for the Maxima.

You have to remove the glovebox, side panel of the center console and another small plastic panel near the floor.

The harness has two male connectors and a female connector on one end and one male connector on the other.
You remove one connector from the radio and plug it into the female connector on the harness. You plug the similar male connector on the harness to the radio (where the other connector was removed). You plug the second male connector into the empty position on the radio.

Hint: removing the connector from the radio is a *****. Use a small regular screwdriver, push it straight in the bottom of the connector, then push up to release the harness connector. DO NOT loosen the outer ring on this connector, or the connector will come apart. Then you'll have a fun time figuring out which pin goes where, and getting the connector back together again! BTW, I had this happen to me, and had to go to the dealer for the wiring diagram to put it back together again!

Once you've connected the radio end of the harness, you have to remove the kick panel on both doors and loosen up the side pillar panel (between the front and rear seats. You will route the harness cable under the carpet and along the floorboard. You then have to remove the rear seat bottom and seat back to route the harness cable to the trunk.

The antenna can be installed on the roof, per their instructions or on the rear deck as I did. I have the elite package and the rear sun screen. I mounted the antenna just to the side of the upper brake light assembly and behind the sun screen. The standard antenna will be too large to mount in this position (if you have the sun screen). My Delphi Ski Fi antenna is smaller and has the same two connectors as the Clarion antenna. I then routed the antenna wires through the same hole as the harness to the trunk.

Finally, you have to mount the xm unit to the trunk wall opposite of the rear seat.

The document they send with the unit has these instructions (although not specific to the maxima).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Andy

**DONOTDELETE**
07-16-2003, 03:06 PM
I'm now having a problem with my dash lights not being illuminated when my headlights are on.

I don't believe this is related to the harness kit, but am investigating. I think I might have mistakenly unhooked something while taking the dash apart. I'll place another post when I figure it out.

bradshaw46
07-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Thanks Andy. I'll probably go ahead and order the Grubbs kit. I wonder why Nissan claims a retrofit for integrated SAT radio (non pre-wire) isn't possible when the whole process seems simple enough. Just sell people the harness and the receiver, then charge them for the install - how hard is that???

So now that you've installed everything, the satellite radio now activates when you hit the SAT button, right? I just want to be sure since the only way I want to go forward with this is if it's totally integrated into the existing head unit. From your experience, is this a safe do-it-yourself job? Just want to know what I'm getting myself into. Did you use a fishtape to run the cable thru to the trunk? How does the receiver mount in the trunk? If you're able, could you take some pics so we can see what the final install looks like? Thanks!

**DONOTDELETE**
07-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Hi!

Yes, the XM activates when you hit the SAT button. To get the harness into the trunk, you remove a piece of foam tape that is covering the opening. This is just next to the opening above the center armrest. You then drop the wire through this opening to another hole just below. This gets you in the trunk. The XM unit mounts to the metal wall separating the trunk from the passenger compartment. There were two holes pre-drilled to mount this. However the supplied screws were too small for the pre-drilled holes. Also included in the kit was a large piece of two sided rubber tape (as large as the xm receiver itself. Rather than use the supplied hardware, I just placed the tape on the xm receiver and stuck the unit to the sheet metal. It's been holding up fine so far. I'll keep an eye on it, and mount it more permanently if needed later.

Hope this helps!

bradshaw46
07-17-2003, 06:39 PM
Sounds like a plan. Since I have the split folding seats, I'd have to find another place to mount the receiver in the trunk. Has anyone considered putting it under the seat? I know a lot of people mount their stereo amps there, and it should make for an easier cable run - although you'd still need to run the antenna wire to the rear deck for mounting. Now I'm wondering where the passthru is for us folks with the split folding seats... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dfurlano
08-11-2003, 11:39 AM
across04... how is the XM radio working out??? did you fix the light problem... I am wanting to do this but just wondering how it is working for you.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-12-2003, 01:15 PM
I had to take the car to the dealer to have it corrected. When the harness that attaches to the existing radio came apart and I put it back together, two of the wires were not fully seated, so this caused the problem.

Everything works great now!

No need to worry, just be careful when removing the original harness.

Take care,
Andy

dfurlano
08-12-2003, 01:41 PM
Well I ordered the kit... when it comes i will try and take photos of the steps I take to install it... then maybe others can use the info also... thanks for the reply across04.. I should get the kit later this week.

dfurlano
08-27-2003, 11:14 AM
can you please give me more information on where the connecters go? there are 10 different connectors on the back of four different units!

http://home.nycap.rr.com/dfurlano/Copy-of-DSC00252.jpg

dfurlano
08-29-2003, 03:45 PM
got the harness and receiver installed took about 3 hours. The radio plug is actually the one above the male connetor in the above photo.

jaak
08-29-2003, 04:14 PM
It's not a Maxima, it's a Murano, but you can see lot's of detail on a non-prewired Murano HERE (http://members.rogers.com/muran0)

Works the same way.

bradshaw46
09-06-2003, 02:35 PM
Thanks to dfurlano's help, I got my Grubbs XM receiver installed today. Took about 2 hours, and it's not as hard as you might think.

As others have said, you need to drop the glovebox to get to the connectors on the back of the radio - then remove the kickpanel and door sillplates along the passenger side. dfurlano - there was *no room* inside the white boxes beneath the sillplates to run the cable inside. Even if I *had* been able to open the box (I couldn't), there wasnt enough room in there for the cable to fit. Also, the box beneath the front sillplate wasn't open on the bottom as yours was - go figure. I simply ran the cable below the box along the floorboard. Worked fine.

For those of you who don't have the Elite package (like me), it's even easier to route the cable into the trunk. You'll have to remove the rear seat bottom cushion (by pulling the two tabs on the front side of the seat bottom) and you can run the cable thru an existing opening.

The actual XM receiver can be mounted under the rear deck right next to the amp. You'll have to remove the cover on the underside of the rear shelf - easy enough to do by pulling out the tabs that hold it on. Use the provided sheet metal screws to secure the receiver to the deck by screwing into existing *slots* (not holes). You'll have to turn the receiver on a slight angle for this to work, but it will keep you from having to drill any holes. I placed my antenna on the rear deck directly behind the brake light. Reception is fine, even thru my 20% tint. ;-)

For those of you who didnt get the factory sat radio, there *is* hope - you *can* do this. Relatively simple, even for a novice like me. The hardest part is removing the connector from the back of the radio - it's definitely a b!tch to do. Take your time, don't get frustrated, and you'll be fine. Otherwise, you'll ruin the connector and your day.

dfurlano
09-06-2003, 06:48 PM
glad it want smoothly... its funny that you had no room in the cable boxes.. the biggest deal is getting over the fear of doing it.

bradshaw46
09-07-2003, 09:21 AM
glad it want smoothly... its funny that you had no room in the cable boxes.. the biggest deal is getting over the fear of doing it.

I couldn't agree more. Thanks again for your help.

It took awhile for all of the data to download before it was fully operational. The preview channel tells you to leave the radio turned on for an hour to complete the download. The other thing I haven't figured out is how to set the display to always show the station, artist, and song title. I can get it if I push the radio knob, but I can't get it to default to that view.

Reception has been fine with the antenna on the rear deck - very few dropouts at all, even with the 20% tint.

10mwbtk
01-08-2006, 03:52 PM
I just wrapped up the install in my 04max using info from this forum and parts from Grubs. Thx everyone who has posted in these forums info about the Sat install for those of us without the harness, receiver, etc.

At any rate, I was wondering if there was a way to show the "channel, artist, song" view by default with the sat. Pushing the tunner knob enables it, but the next time i start the car, I need to hit the knob again.

Thx