PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrade question...

**DONOTDELETE**
07-15-2001, 05:20 PM
I have a question about the 300z brake upgrade. This guy I met totalled his 300z coupe. Its totally smashed on the driver's side door. He's sellig me his rims and almost new tires for $150 and giving me brakes system for free. What parts of the brake system do I need to take off of his 300Z in order to upgrade my S-14? Do I just need the calipers, rotors and brake lining? Should I get the rear brake system also? Do I need the 300 master cylinder also? Someone please let me know by reply or email at jaimoody@hotmail.com I need know what to get by tomorrow.

97 S14
07-15-2001, 05:25 PM
Get all 4 calipers and rotors. Also get the parking brake assembly off of it, you'll need it if you want to put his stock rear brakes on the rear of your car. Your master cylinder should be fine to run that.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-15-2001, 06:06 PM
will I need the brake lines too?

07-15-2001, 09:11 PM
Yes, take them. Otherwise you'll need to get custom lines.

I think the 240 master cylinder might be too small for those brakes, it's a lot of piston area. If it's a non-ABS 300ZX, take the master cylinder too, it should bolt up with no problems. If it has ABS, then the master cylinder only has 2 outlets instead of 4 and it won't bolt up to your brake lines (unless you have ABS too).

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jackmoody:
will I need the brake lines too?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
07-16-2001, 12:10 AM
This is a little off topic, but I wanna know if anyone has any data on how much faster the Z32 brakes slow down our cars.

Is it that substantial, or do alot of you do it for the larger brake and disc look?

Im asking this because I have a AAA book that says a 95 240 se will stop from 60 in like 120ft.(isn't that pretty good)

Mav1178
07-16-2001, 12:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zbeast:
Im asking this because I have a AAA book that says a 95 240 se will stop from 60 in like 120ft.(isn't that pretty good)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You sure that source is correct? That's 911 Turbo territory...

Our cars stop decent, but not THAT good!

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
07-16-2001, 12:46 AM
MT got 134 feet down from 60 in their test of the '89, so I would assume all of the other model years would be about the same.
(Thanks agian to old_s13 for the scans of the magazine) http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
07-16-2001, 12:57 AM
I'll have to find it but I do think its in that territory, and I would believe them because they actually test vehicles unlike some who just use man. data.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-16-2001, 01:28 AM
Ok I was way off its 137ft. And a 911 of the same year is 102ft. I still would like to see if anyone has any hard data though.

would changing the rotors to slotted, or cross drilled the use of better pads and a wider tire help.

97 S14
07-16-2001, 02:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asad137:
If it's a non-ABS 300ZX, take the master cylinder too, it should bolt up with no problems. If it has ABS, then the master cylinder only has 2 outlets instead of 4 and it won't bolt up to your brake lines (unless you have ABS too).

Asad

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All 1990-1996 300ZX's have ABS.

07-16-2001, 12:07 PM
Not for the rears, they're a direct bolt-in replacement. The fronts are more tricky (you have to replace the entire front spindle/knuckle)

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AceInHole:
but i thought there was a small modification for the 5-lug to S13 swap??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ADAM HUTCHINSON
07-16-2001, 12:18 PM
bigger brakes don't stop you quicker... they stop you more often without fade...

you may get one good stop from 160kph on a set of stock brakes....but do that 3-4 times...and you will see what happens...the brakes just fade out and eventually you will have your foot to the floor with no braking..

bigger brakes can dissipate more heat...and after many hard stops (like on a race track)they will resist brake fade... resist is a key word http://www.freshalloy.com/

with good venting and lots of brake pad and vented brembo rotors the stock system can work well on the track....

07-16-2001, 11:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zbeast:

would changing the rotors to slotted, or cross drilled the use of better pads and a wider tire help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Slotted might help, since the slots give the pad some extra bite. Cross-drilling won't help as much. Wider/stickier tires will definitely help.

The biggest advantage to Z brakes isn't the reduction in stopping distances -- if your tires are already at their traction limit with the stock brakes (i.e. you can lock them up), then you won't do any better with Z brakes. The big advantage is fade resistance -- you can do multiple hard stops without fade. They're a big advantage if you do a lot of track work.

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
07-16-2001, 11:51 PM
make sure u bolt the z master cylinder if u want to run the rears, search the threads for issues when installing the rears, and with the emergency brake. also are the s-14 wheel hubs the same as the s-14?

AceInHole
07-16-2001, 11:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ciaran:
also are the s-14 wheel hubs the same as the s-14?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
uhh, could you repeat the question? i'm assuming you mean are S14 hubs the same as S13?? i believe the hubs (5-lug to 4-lug i'm guessing) will be a near direct swap. i'm probably wrong, but i thought there was a small modification for the 5-lug to S13 swap??

PJ