PDA

View Full Version : 89 240sx with Starting problems and clanking?

Zen S14
07-17-2001, 12:21 PM
The car has a problem with starting. It is a stick shift, but when you depress the clutch and turn the key sometimes it does not start. No turning of engine or anything, just like it was dead.

No electrical problems, and when it does work it starts instantly without issue. What could be wrong? As far as I know there is no alarm system in this car.

Also, annoying clanks from the front, I think its the bushings, but he isn't sure. What else can be clanking up front in old 240sx?

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-17-2001, 12:25 PM
Maybe a loose wire.
Make sure all the connections are secure

**DONOTDELETE**
07-17-2001, 09:35 PM
The clanking is most likely the tc rod bushings they should be in a preety bad state about now. As for starting, do you hear a clicking noise like a relay type. If you do than its the magnetic switch for the starter I'm not exactly sure where it is located but this is the most common problem.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-17-2001, 09:50 PM
yeah i barely got this 89 240, its the fastback thingy, and it doesn't start. the guy that sold it to me has no clue what is wrong with it. he said that one day after getting gas it didn't wanna start for a while. but after a while he got it working and got it home. then the next day he drove around, and when he got back and parked it just died. its still at the guyz house and i need to like tow it or something. and i wanna know if its possibly a minor thing. i will check the wires and all that like on the weekend when i pick it up...and i will try jump starting it. is there any common problems that anybody has experienced with that car¿ thanx in advance!

**DONOTDELETE**
07-17-2001, 10:37 PM
just wondering...i am just posting another to make it reappear near the top of the list. ur help is greatly appreciated. ¦)

BlownS13
07-18-2001, 12:06 AM
Check and make sure that the little button that the arm attached to your clutch pedal pushes is being pushed down.

The rubber spacer broke and fell out on mine. Luckily it only took me about 2 secs to notice it laying in the floorboard http://www.freshalloy.com/

[This message has been edited by BlownS13 (edited 07-18-2001).]

Zen S14
07-18-2001, 06:18 PM
Its not the button. My friend checked that today. He tells me that there is a clicking noise when you try to turn it over. Its coming from somewhere between the starter and the key fob. Therefore, it may be that relay thing vortex mentioned. If anyone knows for sure how to fix that problem please feel free to post.

AceInHole
07-18-2001, 06:24 PM
on my '92 it was the starter AND battery. . . at first i couldn't get it started without a jump, then jumps failed, and i thought it was the starter. replaced the starter, and then had trouble starting (hard starting). replaced the battery, and all was fine. the thing was, with the starter, sometimes it fired right up, sometimes it had trouble, other times it was dead (to the point where there was no starting at all and i got stuck in a blizzard. . . which happened to be the worst snowstorm in like a 20 year span for CT). make sure the clicking isn't coming from the engine bay, since you might be hearing it coming from under the dash because of the grommets and stuff there making it seem like sound is penetrating through there. i'd check to see if it jumpstarts. . . or directly power the starter (it's under the intake manifold on DOHC's, i'm sure it's the same for SOHC's). otherwise, it's a wiring bug.
-just sorting out other possibilities
PJ

Zen S14
07-18-2001, 06:31 PM
Push starting it is no problem. So I am not sure it is the starter.

07-18-2001, 08:51 PM
Could be the clutch interlock switch. I was having intermittent problems like this as well, and if I just released the clutch pedal and pressed it down again, it would start.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zen S14:
The car has a problem with starting. It is a stick shift, but when you depress the clutch and turn the key sometimes it does not start. No turning of engine or anything, just like it was dead.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

07-18-2001, 08:53 PM
Push starting uses the wheels to turn the engine, not the starter...so it still could be the starter.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zen S14:
Push starting it is no problem. So I am not sure it is the starter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AceInHole
07-18-2001, 08:56 PM
Push starting it is no problem. So I am not sure it is the starter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

someone correct me if i'm wrong. . . but isn't it possible to push start a car without the battery (off the alternator?).
anyways, even if the clutch switch is there, it might be busted like asad said. might as well try jumping the car, then directly powering the starter since that's easy to do with no tools (except a piece of wire to power the starter from its plug). you can probably check the starter switch with a fuse tester i'm assuming. . .

PJ

**DONOTDELETE**
07-18-2001, 09:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AceInHole:
someone correct me if i'm wrong. . . but isn't it possible to push start a car without the battery (off the alternator?).

PJ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so much any more, electric fuel pump and ECU require some power, and alternators don't usually actually charge at low RPM's. Usually you can push start when the problem is the starter itself, or the batter still has some power, but not enough to turn the engine over.

Nadine180
07-18-2001, 10:04 PM
So, does anyone know how to fix the magnetic switch for the starter?????

AceInHole
07-18-2001, 10:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hapa180SXxy:
So, does anyone know how to fix the magnetic switch for the starter?????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you mean the solenoid? take the starter off, unbolt the solenoid, and pray someone sells it alone without the starter unit (i bought the whole thing, couldn't even get the motor brushes for the starter to just rebuild it. . . then again, i didn't look hard). if it's the solenoid, you'll hear a "whiiirrrrrr" and a few clanks when you directly power the starter. it's the starter itself when you hear a single click every time you turn the ignition to "start". multiple repeating clicks = solenoid.
thought i'd throw that in as bonus.

i still wanna start my car without the battery for some reason. . . .

PJ