PDA

View Full Version : HELP! SR turbo is boosting in neutral

nismos13silvia
07-18-2001, 02:56 PM
I don't know why my SR turbo is boosting in neutral? I know it's suppose to boost a little or something like that. But, not full 7 psi. All vacuum lines are hooked up the way they're suppose to be. Any of you guys know what's going on??? Thanks!

**DONOTDELETE**
07-18-2001, 03:16 PM
What?

Are you on the gas? what rpm?

On the line on my rev limiter i can 5-8 psi dependant upon RPM.

Your question is very vague

nismos13silvia
07-18-2001, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I get on the gas. Full boost comes on around 4000 and up RPM. Depending on how quick/hard I get on the gas.

My friends with turbocharged cars never come under boost even if the rev all the way. Maybe it's normal for the SR20DET motor to boost in neutral???

AceInHole
07-18-2001, 05:20 PM
i'd say it's the BOV. with the throttle plate closed the BOV should be releasing most of the pressure. . . otherwise you might have the boost gauge reading from the pre-TB side as opposed to directly reading the intake manifold (after the TB).

PJ

nismos13silvia
07-19-2001, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure if it's the BOV. I'm reading the boost from the vacuum line that tees off the fuel pressure regulator.

Could it be the wastgate???

ringer
07-19-2001, 02:22 PM
If you are on the gas why wouldn't it boost?
The turbine is spun by exhaust gas, so if you rev the motor you move more exhaust gas past the turbine and spin your turbo faster hence boost. Even in neutral.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nismos13silvia:
I'm not sure if it's the BOV. I'm reading the boost from the vacuum line that tees off the fuel pressure regulator.

Could it be the wastgate???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

07-19-2001, 02:43 PM
But when it's not under load (i.e. in neutral) and you step on the gas, it's not producing very much exhaust gas. Maybe it's enough to spool the turbo though...

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 240BurnOut:
If you are on the gas why wouldn't it boost?
The turbine is spun by exhaust gas, so if you rev the motor you move more exhaust gas past the turbine and spin your turbo faster hence boost. Even in neutral.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lenso
07-19-2001, 03:23 PM
my brother says that only Evolutions do that...so I figure its gotta be good!

nismos13silvia
07-19-2001, 08:15 PM
Yeah, when you're not under load (neutral) the turbo shouldn't be boosting that much.

If is suppose to do boost in neutral, then I figure if it's all good for me. But, I'm worried that it's not suppose to be doing boosting. Maybe just a little. Once I hook up my S-AVC-R, I'll see if it's still boosting.

ADAM HUTCHINSON
07-20-2001, 04:22 AM
if you really hammer on it in neutral i can spool the turbo up for a sec

nismos13silvia
07-20-2001, 02:31 PM
I don't have to hammer it. It still will boost even if I tap the gas lightly.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-20-2001, 05:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nismos13silvia:
I don't have to hammer it. It still will boost even if I tap the gas lightly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your boost gauge isn't plumbed into the correct location.

Demon

nismos13silvia
07-20-2001, 06:10 PM
The boost gauge is plugged into the vacuum line that tees off the fuel pressure regulator. That's the one in the intake manifold.

However, I'm not using the filter that came with it. I've got an Apexi EL mechincal boost gauge.