PDA

View Full Version : Z32 Master Cylinder Upgrade

KmanSilvia
06-13-2003, 08:11 AM
I have been presented with the opportunity to upgrade my rear brakes to the Z32 ones. Mine are actually coming off a R32 Skyline that showed up at our garage for a strip down of all good things off of it. (it had been torched http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif) Anyway, I am going to take the master cylinder off it so that my rear bias is matched to new rear calipers. However this MC only has one port for the front brakes and I do not have ABS so I need two. I see that you guys that use the Z32 MC's just take the plug out of an unused port and push in the inverted flare, however, my new MC does not have the plugged port it is just a solid casting. I was wondering, could I just attach a distribution block to the single front port on the new MC and then attach my two front lines to the distribution block? If so, why doesn't everyone do this in the Z32 MC upgrade?
Thoughts?

NOSTALGIC_HERO
06-13-2003, 09:51 AM
cause that would be rigging, we just use Z32, take the plug out, insert fitting. cake.

why bother with finding distribution block, having brakeline made and then deal with mounting it somewhere???
lol!

why would anybody do that? it would be like 4X the work!!

just find a Z32 M/C.

KmanSilvia
06-13-2003, 10:15 AM
Agreed it would be rigging, but imagine trying to fit a left hand drive z32 master cylinder on a right hand drive and getting the brake lines to clear the shock tower. The only right hand drive master cylinder with the proper proportioning valve that I have access to is this skyline one with only two ports. I suppose if i really needed to I could drill and tap an additional hole in the casting and then put in the insert. However, a distribution block would be significantly easier.

On another note, does anyone know which JDM (ie right hand drive car with the Z32 like proportioning valve.) car came with the 17/16th master cylinder? This one off the skyline, i think is a 15/16th or 1" at best.

NOSTALGIC_HERO
06-13-2003, 11:34 AM
RHD Z32?? (forgot you were RHD) http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

good luck though!

KmanSilvia
06-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Not too many 1990-91 NA RHD Z32's around here. Just a few Skylines. Anyone know of a 17/16 MC from a skyline?

pchio
06-14-2003, 12:58 AM
right hand drive car with the Z32 like proportioning valve

Doesn't it only front disc and rear drum brake combo has proportioning valve.

-Pat

asad
06-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Doesn't it only front disc and rear drum brake combo has proportioning valve.

No, all production cars have proportioning valves, to reduce the amount of rear brake bias at high line pressure (to avoid the rears locking up first due to the decreased load on the rear tires under heavy braking).

Asad

gforce240sx
06-16-2003, 01:31 PM
I don't know of any skylines MC, but you can use Z32s from the US.

Z32 Master Cylinder bore size:
84-1/89NA & Turbo = 15/16"
2/89-8/91NA & 6/89-1/91 Turbo = 1 1/16"
7/90-1/91 = 1 1/16"
9/91-96NA & 2/91-96 Turbo = 1"

I got that from some Z website. I'm not sure about the 84-89 MC sizes. All other are correct, as I have purchase ALL OF THEM. The 17/16 is same as 1 1/16 and has all 3 holes for mounting (insert included). The 1" one has a weird 5 sided plug which can be remove and use (no insert though, you have to provide your own). IMO, the 1" works best, it all depends how you like your brake pedal feel.

One last thing, 15/16, 17/16 or 1 1/16 is all stamped on to the side of the MC. The 1" isn't, if this helps any.

Danny.

KmanSilvia
06-17-2003, 12:09 AM
One last thing, 15/16, 17/16 or 1 1/16 is all stamped on to the side of the MC. The 1" isn't, if this helps any.

Very interesting. The one I got off the Skyline has two ports one each for front and rear. The place where there is normally a third port is cast but not drilled and tapped. Also there is no size marking like you talked about above. Hopefully that means mine is 1". Any other way to tell aside from tearing the thing apart and finding out that I can't get my hands on a rebuild kit?