PDA

View Full Version : Emisson test? HELP

**DONOTDELETE**
07-19-2001, 02:14 PM
Does anyone in here have an SR20DET that has passed the emission test? Please tell me what you did to pass. I have to take the test before the end on the month.

thanks, Art

Inspectorlee
07-19-2001, 04:09 PM
I would like to know too since I am considering the swap in the next two months. One thread on here had a guy say that the sr20det will never pass an emission test no matter what. But I thought Japan had tough standards, similar to what some states have here. So what gives? It can pass emissions over there but not here? Is it some special piece of equipment that we can't get or what? The only advice I could give you Art would be to take a nice long drive, say 30 minutes to help warm up the cat. The turbo will act as a heat sink, absorbing some of the heat from the exhaust stream that usually heats up the cat to get it to operating temperature. By running your car longer, the cat should have ample time to reach operating temperature. This assumes you have a cat. But since I don't have a sr20det yet, this is all I can offer as help.

Inspectorlee

**DONOTDELETE**
07-19-2001, 04:16 PM
They do have tough standards, why do you think people buy new cars every 30000 to 40000 miles

**DONOTDELETE**
07-19-2001, 05:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kwazee:
They do have tough standards, why do you think people buy new cars every 30000 to 40000 miles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because they're crazy rich!!!!!

Mike
92 LE COUPE

**DONOTDELETE**
07-19-2001, 05:37 PM
Isn't it japanese law to replace an engine at 30k miles?

**DONOTDELETE**
07-19-2001, 06:33 PM
if it is where do they take the old ones when there done with them

Inspectorlee
07-19-2001, 06:47 PM
I think it is true that they have to replace the engine at certain intervals but I'm not sure on the mileage. If I remember correctly, at a certain mileage, they have to take the car in for an inspection and if it doesn't pass, a new engine is mandated to be put in since a new engine puts out less pollutants than the old one. What do they do with the old ones? Obviously they don't sell them to us for cheap. Probably they rebuild them or something, I don't know. But how about all you sr20det owners (who have emissions testing) take a crack at answering this. Much thanks.

Inspectorlee

07-19-2001, 08:07 PM
Art,

Not all emissions tests are the same. You may very well be able to pass your Chicago-area test without any trouble with your car just as it is. Are you running a catalytic converter?

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gforcepowered:
Does anyone in here have an SR20DET that has passed the emission test? Please tell me what you did to pass. I have to take the test before the end on the month.

thanks, Art<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

240Lunatic
07-19-2001, 09:40 PM
What about AZ emissions? I know this only affects those in a few areas, but how strict are they?

Sean

97 S14
07-19-2001, 10:19 PM
Yes... William's 97 with blacktop S13 SR20DET passed emmissions testing here in Arlington, Texas. He has a full 3 inch blitz exhaust and a 3 inch greddy downpipe (no cat). It passed with excellent numbers. We pulled no tricks, didn't run any type of fuel cleaner. Just drive the car around town for about 20 minutes before you take it in. Then when you get to the inspection station DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR CAR!!! Leave the car running the whole time so it keeps the engine and exhaust hot and burning off emmissions. Don't turn off the car until after it's passed the sniffer test. I've had two 300ZX TT's pass sniffer tests with no cats at all and no tricks or fuel additives.

[This message has been edited by 97 S14 (edited 07-19-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
07-20-2001, 12:55 AM
Ok sounds good. But what about Kali? Kali is a ***** and I want to know if I'll pass.

'97 S14 SE Turbo
07-20-2001, 01:24 AM
Forget it for Cali... CARB would not let it fly. Especially SR20DET was never a legal US market engine... RB26DETT modified by Motorex on the other hand is!!! Also Motorex is working on a CARB legal/EPA legal swap kit for the SR20DET!!! but prepare to shell out $$$

[This message has been edited by '97 S14 SE Turbo (edited 07-20-2001).]

cjfast_1
07-20-2001, 09:18 AM
See? one more reason KA's rule!!! At least in cali... http://www.freshalloy.com/

Zen S14
07-20-2001, 09:32 AM
What about Turbo KAs? Do they pass emission test in Cali or other states which require dyno run emissions testing?

07-20-2001, 01:34 PM
There are no CARB-legal turbo kits. So, technically, no it won't pass. You may find a smog check station that doesn't care about underhood stuff, or you could pay someone off.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zen S14:
What about Turbo KAs? Do they pass emission test in Cali or other states which require dyno run emissions testing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
07-20-2001, 11:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zen S14:
What about Turbo KAs? Do they pass emission test in Cali or other states which require dyno run emissions testing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A KA in a 92 Auto Passed. And it was a project car for Road and Track(IIRC).
There was alot of tweaking though. Jim Wolf had his hands into that. May want to call or
visit them, if you are close to swapping or want info on HOW TO smog.
RZ

[This message has been edited by spec240sx (edited 07-20-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
07-21-2001, 09:19 AM
From what I remember, it's not the smog test you need to worry about so much. It is the visual test you need to be concerned about. If I'm not mistaken the Japanese motors have no egr.

BioSehnsucht
07-21-2001, 09:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 97 S14:
Yes... William's 97 with blacktop S13 SR20DET passed emmissions testing here in Arlington, Texas. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Say.. we don't have a local list or anything do we? I'm in Dallas..

Nice to hear when I swap in a year or so then I won't have to worry about emissions http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
07-24-2001, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all the help

MI SO FST
09-25-2001, 08:11 PM
Well I live in Chicago and I just came from taking the Emissions test here and I passed with my SR20DET. This just so you know that A SR20DET has passed. They didn't put me on the "Dyno" though. They tested me at Idle.