PDA

View Full Version : Earlier model G20

240Xtrm
06-14-2003, 04:05 AM
How good are the 92-96 Infiniti G20s? I know the SR20DE have been a good Nissan engine with realibility, but how about any recalls to the car itself? 'Cos my wife's younger sister is looking for a use car and I'm recommanding her looking at Infiniti G20. She's been looking mostly at Civics, but I'm persuading her more towards the G20. Her price range is from $3K-$6K and a 94-96 G20 would be perfect for that price range. She's been looking for a new used car ever since her 92 Camry was total couple of weeks ago. She wanted something luxurious, good on gas, and the G20 was the only one came to mined. She could go for a 4 doors Integra, but it just doesn't look luxurious to me.

scourge
06-14-2003, 04:36 AM
The only negative that comes to mind is that the G20 is slow. Now, had the car come standard with an SR20DET, then that would have been different.

limits_at_infiniti
06-14-2003, 09:27 AM
I had one and it was good.
Slow ? compared to a 3 Series, an NA Supra, Maxima, its slow. Compared to a GS300, ES300, Civic, Integra GS, it can hold its own grounds.
Some problems I had with mine.
Motor mounts went fast living in an area with potholes. Keep it stock and should be fine. I left the motor mounts untreated for a few months. When I hit the gas there was a lag, cause the engine would move before the damn car. This caused the hoses for the radiator to go, which caused the radiator to go, which then caused the outlet houses to go, which killed my water pump. The engine took all this abuse and kept going.

G4Glenn
06-21-2003, 09:24 PM
1991 w/ "only" 130,000 miles. Still going strong. Unfortunately it's a beater car now since my sis rear-ended someone and broke the A/C compressor, headlight, and a bunch of other stuff. A few years ago, there were a bunch of problems with the engine mount breaking and the alternator going out a few times over a 6-month period. Other than that, everything is still in good working order (Well, except the antenna that someone broke and the rear window not going down and the cruise control not working anymore). The car is sometimes very lethargic but at other times pickup is very good. Not bad for a 140hp car i'd say.

kotarou
06-30-2003, 11:17 PM
The only negative that comes to mind is that the G20 is slow.

Agree. We had a '96 G20 AT and sold it in Feb/03 with 82K miles. It handled well (quite well for stock 14 in.), and was solid on the highway. Despite DOHC engine however, 140-hp did not provide much performance, especially with AT. Would recommend MT if interested to buy a G20.

MattB
07-03-2003, 07:48 PM
The 91-96 G20s (P10) are rock solid reliable, and can easily be modified if you think it's too slow. Come over to G20.net for more in-depth G20 stuff.

scourge
07-04-2003, 12:42 AM
Nothing like a SR20DET swap to liven it up. Too bad it was never available with it in stock form.

ToddG
07-05-2003, 03:08 PM
I had two of these, a 1993.5 (wife's) and my 1994. Bot were automatics with the leather package and sunroof. Mine had 175,000 trouble-free miles before I traded it for a Lincoln LS. Wife's had about 130,000 miles before we traded it for an FX35.

Now, I was meticulous about maintaining both of these cars. Oil was changed religously every 3750, and essentially all maintenance was done by the dealer. Both cars were always garaged. I never had a serious mechanical problem with either one. If I were you, look for one with low miles and in good condition (duh!). There is a lot of goodness still left in them. Aside from a couple of backlights on a couple of switches, everything worked when I traded it in.

I would agree with the comment that the cars are a bit slow. But hey, it's a 4-cyl running an automatic.... it's gonna be a bit slow. Mileage at the end was about 25 city/hwy.

MattB
07-06-2003, 07:10 AM
Yeah, the oil has to be changed every 3-5K. And as for being slow, I took out a first-gen Lexus ES300 with my stock 95 G20t, so I'm not sure how slow it is...

ToddG
07-06-2003, 06:51 PM
I took out a first-gen Lexus ES300 with my stock 95 G20t, so I'm not sure how slow it is...

By "took out" I assume you mean you went faster?

Slow and fast are relative here. My G20 replaced a 1984 Renault Encore, so you can believe the G was fast compared to that. However, my new Lincoln LS is like a rocket ship compared to the G. It's all relative. Nevertheless, the G20 is a great car.

kotarou
07-08-2003, 10:00 PM
Now, I was meticulous about maintaining both of these cars. Oil was changed religously every 3750, and essentially all maintenance was done by the dealer.

I hear you. Did the same thing on our G20. I bet you also kept the service records? We had our records stamped each time the car was serviced at an Infiniti dealer. Keeping service records certainly did not hurt when we sold the car to a private party.

There is a reason that Infiniti ranks high in customer satisfaction. For an oil change once at the dealer, we decided to wait since it was to be done in 1-hour. The service ended up taking maybe 70 or 80-minutes. Not that we were counting the minutes or complaining, but the service advisor apologized for the delay and gave us a complimentary dinner certificate worth $50 at a nearby Newport Beach Twin Palms (formerly owned by Kevin Costner) restaurant.

Premium service came with a price tag though. Here are costs for some of the scheduled maintenance:
60K service: $580
67,500M: $97
75K: $300

When we decided to sell the G20 for a bigger car (we then bought '03 Maxima SE), we made sure to sell before the 90K service. We were told that this service would be around $1K, as timing belt and water pump will need to be replaced.

limits_at_infiniti
07-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Yeah, the oil has to be changed every 3-5K. And as for being slow, I took out a first-gen Lexus ES300 with my stock 95 G20t, so I'm not sure how slow it is...

I use to eat es300's and <91 maximas for lunch, and those were v6's

miowname
07-22-2003, 12:27 PM
http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I've got 125k on mine and I had to replace the tranny (my son put the car into rev when going fwd, ooops), regular servicing and take it easy on the bumps.
I like my G20 and I would definately recomend it to anyone. (I have a G20t and I love the power seat and heated mirrors. Fun to drive and fast enough but I like getting 30 mpg on the highway. Enjoy! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif