PDA

View Full Version : ur thoughts on the wrx

**DONOTDELETE**
07-31-2001, 09:36 PM
i did a search and surprisingly no one's really mentioned it..

what do u guys think sr20det/katurbo or save for a wrx based on cost effectiveness, durability, and handling.(not talkin about max potential just a daily driver with around 240whp =)

chris@speedalliance.com
07-31-2001, 10:07 PM
I think the majority of guys on here will give you a VERY biased opinion.

My guess is they'll support the SR powered 240.

I would go 240 all the way!
Excellent body lines and excellent potential when tuned properly. Parts are also readily available, if you know where to look.

Chris

97 S14
07-31-2001, 10:36 PM
Dude that is such a total tossup. You get the WRX if you want to have a *new* car with no hassles. You get the 240SX--->Silvia Swap if you want to attract attention and have something out of the ordinary. I have a friend with a WRX... he loves his car, but he loves my friend Williams Silvia, and even when he drives my stock (for now) 97 240SX, he talks about how he would love to have one and says "I would own one of these." But he still loves his car. Both cars are upgradable and both are fun. It all comes down to the looks of the cars and what you prefer... a new car or not.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-31-2001, 10:44 PM
Heh, I thought about that question tonight, too.

If the mechanical aspect and smog issues of a turbo are manageable, then I say go boost. But if you have the fundage and you have been wanting to get a new car, then go 4wd boost+warranty.

WRX is still more than a nice down payment. The $500 a month for a few years is what bites you in the butt.

Even tho the WRX is a new car that I would actually buy, that money will probably go to the purchase of a 2003 Accord Coupe or 2003 Passport for my girlfriend, even tho I have yet to see them. Can't go wrong with a Honda.

In the meantime, I'm still saving to GET me a 240.

The thought of a turbo in a 240 is really cool and going fast is fun, but I think making a car fast around corners is more rewarding. Running on a twisty track is where a good driver can even things up.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-31-2001, 10:52 PM
hmmm.. so which one do u guys think handles better on the street (not planning on any rally races to tell u the truth)

97 S14
07-31-2001, 10:56 PM
as far as handling... man thats a tough one. A 240/silvia with good suspension pieces and wide tires is hard to beat there... but a WRX with some suspsension stuff would be hard to beat too. In the end I give the AWD of the WRX the advantage... however it has a longer steering radius than a S14... I made a tighter U-turn than my friends WRX.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-31-2001, 11:57 PM
there's a blue WRX in my condo, everyday walking out to my car i glance over to look at it. I love how they look.. obviously stock, but yet...what more do you need?, Nice rims ( brand name ), and tires. nice body, momo steering wheel, hood scoups, intercooled turbo. nice sporty look.

Now, I really do love my 240, but until the day that mine car will atleast keep up with a WRX... i'd obviously want the faster car.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-01-2001, 03:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gunner1:
Even tho the WRX is a new car that I would actually buy, that money will probably go to the purchase of a 2003 Accord Coupe or 2003 Passport for my girlfriend, even tho I have yet to see them. Can't go wrong with a Honda.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? Everybody I've talked to said that the Passport was just a rebadged Isuzu, inferior (compared to regular Honda standards) build quality and all. Are they planning on changing that for 2003, or did you not know that?

If I were looking for a midsized SUV, the Passport is definately NOT the first place I'd look. And it's not the Honda thing.

btw, this thread really belongs in another forum. http://www.freshalloy.com/

Bordering terribly off-topic,

- Ed.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-01-2001, 03:28 AM
The current Passport is a rebadged Rodeo. My mom just got a 2000 Rodeo, and I can say that there's a little bit of a Honda feel in it. Just little things here and there.

2003 Passport is supposed to be a cheaper version of the MDX. Same way the Toyota Highlander is a cheaper RX300.

More and more people are talking favorably about the WRX. I hope that leads to an STI and eventually the coming of the EVO 7.

ADAM HUTCHINSON
08-01-2001, 04:24 AM
i think its ugly

**DONOTDELETE**
08-01-2001, 07:37 AM
The WRX is a nice car. Yet it is NOT MY choice.
I have yet to see a well setup FWD(besides HONDA) that can handle twists and ruts
and give the WRX a run. And for 4WD, the Lancer does it better overall(Top Rally winner and podium ).
Nissan Pulsar Kicked the Subi runners when it was being produced. Audi tore almost everyone a new beggining in the 80's. So be carefull of overstating the WRX's abilities.
It is good and will it fair against it's competition in the SCCA Rallys in the U.S.?
Not to great on it's intro, yet lets watch.
http://www.freshalloy.com/