PDA

View Full Version : Rear window tint causing distortions -- normal?

ptevonian
07-31-2003, 08:45 PM
I recently got my windows tinted -- 3M film, 35% on front sides, 20% on rear sides and back. Everything looks great, except that the extensive grid of defroster and radio wires across the back window cause the tint film to bulge out over each wire. In daylight it's not a problem, but at night, we get significant distortion of the headlights from the cars behind, and it makes it difficult to accurately judge the distance between our car and the car following. It's like looking through a wet rear window all the time.

Is this normal? This is my first car with aftermarket tint, but I'm surprised the visual distortions are so great.

Thanks,
--Pete

limits_at_infiniti
07-31-2003, 08:56 PM
I have no problems.
But then again I have been driving around with tint for 6 years.

Maybe your getting use to it ?

96_ss
07-31-2003, 09:00 PM
You know, it doesn't sound right to me. Mine is not like that. Try a different tinter, or check with your guy and see what he says. It could be that there is just moisture there which should evaporate.

thangbu
07-31-2003, 09:06 PM
exactly what type of distortions do you see? after i got my coupe tinted, i noticed that at night, there's a vertical streak extending from any headlights in my rear view mirror. i believe i noticed the same thing on my three previous cars which were tinted as well. i believe it's due to the horizontal lines that make up the rear defroster which simulates the prismatic effect that you would find in a maddox rod prism.

shirubia610
07-31-2003, 10:24 PM
if it's distortion of any kind, go back there and get it done right, or get your money back. there should be no changes except that it's darker.

Fish_
08-01-2003, 02:33 AM
...i noticed that at night, there's a vertical streak extending from any headlights in my rear view mirror...

I have exactly the same issue on my sedan.

jburnham
08-01-2003, 07:13 AM
I just had my windows tinted exactly a week ago and I'm still seeing lots of distortion around the defroster grid. My other windows had lots of little dots and imperfections which slowly went away. I was going to clean the windows this weekend and have a good look for remaining imperfections, but I wasn't expecting the rear window to ever be "perfect" because of the defroster grid. They did a two piece install for the rear window and I couldn't find the seam if I tried. I was/am pretty confident in the abilities of the installer so I'm thinking that either the rear window is going to improve slowly over time, or it isn't possible to perfectly tint over the defroster grid.

DJinOrlando
08-01-2003, 04:45 PM
I've had tint done by 3 dealers, one for each of my last 3 cars. I've never had any kind of distortion in the back window due to the defrost/antenna wires there. A good installer should be able to work around that.

I would make sure to clean the window very well, both inside and out. Do not to use an ammonia based (Windex) cleaner on the tint itself. Then look through it again. It should not have any distortion. It should just be darker as someone else posted here.

If there is distortion, take it back.

My $0.02... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

tphilli
08-01-2003, 05:33 PM
It "should" clear up over time. If not bring it back to the installer, but I'd be a bit afraid of having them "fix" it out of fear of damaging the defroster.

I would try to park it in direct sunlight for a few days and hope that fixes it. You shouldn't have distortions that are can be seen, I've had MANY cars tinted and never had this problem.

Good luck!

I just had my windows tinted exactly a week ago and I'm still seeing lots of distortion around the defroster grid. My other windows had lots of little dots and imperfections which slowly went away. I was going to clean the windows this weekend and have a good look for remaining imperfections, but I wasn't expecting the rear window to ever be "perfect" because of the defroster grid. They did a two piece install for the rear window and I couldn't find the seam if I tried. I was/am pretty confident in the abilities of the installer so I'm thinking that either the rear window is going to improve slowly over time, or it isn't possible to perfectly tint over the defroster grid.

ptevonian
08-02-2003, 03:52 PM
exactly what type of distortions do you see?

It looks like you would imagine wavy glass would look. I'm pretty sure it's due to the tint film having low rises over each of the defroster wires. It's been a little less than 2 weeks since the tint was applied, and all of the other windows look good (a few tiny bubbles which you can't even see unless you look closely).

It may be water that is gathering around the natural space next to a defroster wire, so I'll let it go a few more days. The heat in Chicago should evaporate that water soon (though it is really damn humid). If it's not better in a few more days I'll take it back.

Thanks for everyone's input.
--Pete