PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio - The $100,000 Question

**DONOTDELETE**
08-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Got a tuner - GEXP910XM (Pioneer).....

Where is the friggin wiring harness!!??? I have a supposedly prewired 2004 Maxima w/Elite Pkg. This is the only option I do not have and I want it! The XM option on my options spec sheet gives 2 options for satellite radio: A PIO-XM (pioneer) and a SIR (sirius) .

If I know where the harness is and the location the dealer would install the reciever, I will put this in tomorrow. I just do not want to tear the car up to find it.

RonSteinbach
08-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Have your dealer telephone Nissan headquarters in Torrance, CA. The engineers should know where the harness is and what is involved to install.

How about a place like Circuit City? Their installers are usually real knowledgeable about car stereos. I wonder if they aren't already into the XM market.

Stew24
08-05-2003, 09:54 PM
You have no wiring harness for your SAT. If your car didn't come with SAT installed at the factory, it will not have a harness installed.(If it has factory SAT, you'll know it by the SAT antenna factory mounted on the rear roof of the car.) That's why the sticky label that was placed on your dash , just below your radio, ... said there was "no retrofit' available. You can get the cable, if you are extremely lucky from an Infinity dealer, that fits the G35, and install it yourself, but that's about the extent of your options. Nissan will not sell you a harness at all, and Infinity won't unless you have the VIN number from your G35. This is to make sure Maxima and Murano owners don't buy G35 cables, and activate their SAT radios ! Ain't that about the biggest fool thing you ever heard ? Well it's 100% true.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-05-2003, 10:24 PM
You have no wiring harness for your SAT. If your car didn't come with SAT installed at the factory, it will not have a harness installed.

Not necessarily true. My '04 Maxima came with a label that says, "This vehicle has been pre-wired by the manufacturer to accommodate later installation of an optional satellite radio receiver and antenna."

So, some Maximas are wired for satellite. However, I can guarantee that a Pioneer tuner will NOT work with a Nissan factory radio. You need to get the Nissan tuner (made by Clarion), or you're out of luck. And, the regular non-Nissan Clarion satellite tuner will also not be compatible, as the wiring connectors are not the same as used by Nissan. That's a shame, since Sirius is giving away the regular Clarion tuners for free.

04SEelite
08-06-2003, 09:53 AM
you can get both the harness and the sat receiver of your choice at Grubbs - contact cparker@grubbs.com and he will sell you the stuff. They will also install if you live in the area...

**DONOTDELETE**
08-06-2003, 05:16 PM
Well, here is the deal....

I got some really good help from the dealer I bought the car from (Upstate Automotive in Anderson, SC - carsdirect.com deal)...

The Nissan dealers were sent a video 2 weeks ago concerning the installation of SAT radio in t the 04 cars, Maxima included. Until this morning, no one actually watched it.

Basically, despite what the sticker on my dash says, my Max SE Elite IS NOT prewired for SAT. All 04 cars that are pre-wired will have a sticker on the inside of the driver's side door jam that states the car has been pre-wired. The location of the wiring harness, if installed, would be in the trunk...in the left rear wheel well. That is the location for the installation of the receiver.

That said, my 04 is not pre-wired. The parts dude told me a secret, which really isn't a secret, but I played along, that the Infinity G35 was basically the same as the Maxima (really???) and that if I ordered the satellite pre-wire harness from Infinity (56.95) and the base XM or Sirius kit from Infinity (347.00), I would be able to recreate the factory install and utilize the SAT button on my system.

Let me tell you though it was a big hassle trying to do that. It appears that NissanUSA has really tried to put the brakes on the "cross-pollenation" of the Infinity and Nissan lines by changing part #'s and deleting cross reference listings for the same parts. I went through 2 Infinity dealers to find one that would that would order the stuff for me...the reason?? You have to be able to give them an Infinity Vin# because Infinity is requiring that to ensure the parts are going in an Infinity and not a Nissan...what a CROCK!

In any event, the stuff will be here Saturday a.m. for me to pick up. Looks like I will have a project for the weekend!!!!

Stew24
08-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Pretty much, just like I said.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-07-2003, 05:37 AM
Yep...I took your advice. Thanks! Just relaying my experience of yesterday to the rest of the interested. Hopefully, I will have SAT next week!

dklanecky1
08-07-2003, 04:19 PM
It'll be real interesting to see if the parts actually arrive.

I ordered the same parts on 7/28 with a promise from my Infiniti dealer that they'd arrive the next day. Well the tuner and antenna arrived on 7/30, but no cable.

Dealer assured me the cable would be in in a couple of days so I went ahead and installed the receiver and antenna in my Murano.

Come back from vacation 8/5 to find a message from the Infiniti dealer that says part numer no longer available at all unless you have the un pre-wired Infiniti g35/g35c/m45 VIN number which has to be verified by the dealer prior to ordering.

Been discussing this with several Infiniti dealers and the story is the same everywhere, so far...........

RonSteinbach
08-07-2003, 06:26 PM
I don't understand why Nissan is trying to antagonize their customers like this. Whoever the idiot that came up with the current policy should be fired.

It makes no sense to me for Nissan corporate to try and prevent its customers from installing satellite radio!

I bought the very first 2004 Maxima sold by Power Nissan (formerly Irvine Nissan) in Irvine, CA. My owners manual states that satellite radio is available. There was no sticker on the console stating that my car was not pre-wired!

Why should Nissan care if you use an Infinity wiring harness in your Nissan? Or, if you wait a while and buy a wiring harness from Crutchfield?

bradshaw46
08-07-2003, 06:41 PM
I don't understand why Nissan is trying to antagonize their customers like this. Whoever the idiot that came up with the current policy should be fired.

It makes no sense to me for Nissan corporate to try and prevent its customers from installing satellite radio!

I bought the very first 2004 Maxima sold by Power Nissan (formerly Irvine Nissan) in Irvine, CA. My owners manual states that satellite radio is available. There was no sticker on the console stating that my car was not pre-wired!

Why should Nissan care if you use an Infinity wiring harness in your Nissan? Or, if you wait a while and buy a wiring harness from Crutchfield?

I'm with you Ron. I don't understand this either. Nissan will make the money anyway - and it's actually in their best interest to simply make it available for anyone who wants it. I was planning to get the kit from Grubbs until this whole VIN fiasco popped up. Now, I guess I'm stuck waiting for a third party (come on, Crutchfield! ;-) to come up with a harness/receiver (which is inevitable), and Nissan won't make a dime.

Can anyone who works for Nissan or Infiniti shed any light on this insane policy? Why are they so hell-bent on preventing retrofits? What are they so concerned about???

dfw_danny
08-08-2003, 09:29 AM
I think I can help some of you.

1. If you have the prewire label on your car it is prewired and the harness is coiled up and attached to the back of the rear seat, inside the trunk. That is exactly the way they do it for the G35.
2. ONLY the Nissan satellite radio kits will work with the prewire harness and they are pretty much universal. You will need the G35 kit and it is available in either Sirius or XM and is manufactured by Clarion.
3. If your car is not prewired and you have a SAT button on the radio you will require a prewire harness.

Contact cparker@grubbs.com and he can assist you with any of this.

Hope this clarifies your concerns.

rogerwr
08-08-2003, 08:08 PM
I was suppose to have this and I have dealer order page date
3/28/03 showing satelite option. Also from nissan web site showing the radio is satelitte compabible and it not wire by factory it is not companitble. Advertizing error. I have notified Attorny General of Minnesota of this issue. <font color="red[/img] </font>

**DONOTDELETE**
08-12-2003, 04:19 PM
Well, I got the harness and the kit in today. I did need to have a VIN# from a Q35 to order it, so I went to Ebay and got one from a car for sale thta fit the VIN series they were looking for. 2 days I have the harness and kit in hand ready for install. Thanks for the help here guys, I will let everyone know how the install turns out!

dfurlano
08-12-2003, 04:34 PM
I ordered my kit from grubbs and did not need a vin number.. be interested to see how it goes for you..

**DONOTDELETE**
08-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Finished! Easy as can be. 2 1/2 hours everything came apart easy and went back together flawlessly. There is no need to remove anything more than the hvac / cd / tape panel. LEave the screen and vent assembly alone. Take off shifter panel, both passenger side kick panels, glovebox assy and you will be good to go. I mounted the antenna on the rear deck under the glass and my reception is great!

**DONOTDELETE**
08-13-2003, 03:22 PM
I also ordered my kit from Grubbs today. No VIN number needed, and everthing was on sale!

I have never seen a car company that is so difficult to deal with as Nissan is. This is my first Nissan and this whole XM ordeal has really put a bad taste in my mouth. They better do something quick to quell the growing anger and frustration over this issue, otherwise they will lose alot of repeat buyers. Me being one.

dfw_danny
08-13-2003, 06:29 PM
I also ordered my kit from Grubbs today. No VIN number needed, and everthing was on sale!

I have never seen a car company that is so difficult to deal with as Nissan is. This is my first Nissan and this whole XM ordeal has really put a bad taste in my mouth. They better do something quick to quell the growing anger and frustration over this issue, otherwise they will lose alot of repeat buyers. Me being one.

We will take you over at Infiniti http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bradshaw46
08-18-2003, 10:09 PM
Finished! Easy as can be. 2 1/2 hours everything came apart easy and went back together flawlessly. There is no need to remove anything more than the hvac / cd / tape panel. LEave the screen and vent assembly alone. Take off shifter panel, both passenger side kick panels, glovebox assy and you will be good to go. I mounted the antenna on the rear deck under the glass and my reception is great!

Okay - got my Grubbs kit in yesterday. Can you possibly list some rough instructions for removing 1) the glovebox assembly, 2) the center panel and 3) the rear seat bottom? I'm fine with removing the kickpanels, but I want to make sure I don't screw anything up. I'm planning to also download the service manual to see if that will shed some light on things. Gonna do the install this weekend, and trying to line up all the gory details.

g0dm0de
08-19-2003, 06:04 PM
I'd like to see some pics of your install process if you get around to making any (parts removed, etc) and something detailing the process if anyone has something put together. I am looking to install SAT radio as well (probably sirus as to avoid commercials), but I am a little hesitant in taking parts off, etc. My luck everything would rattle when I put it back together.