PDA

View Full Version : s13, s14, or s14a?

Pruto
08-16-2001, 07:11 AM
Hi all, I was originally planning on getting a loan and finding a nice 97-98 240sx to buy. Unfortunately, I don't see one up for sale in my area. Closest one is 75 miles I think.

Here is my first question. What is the difference between the s14 and s14a besides the angry eyes? If thats the only difference (besides the side effects of an older car) then I might as well get a 95-96 and do a s15 conversion later.

2nd question: will the s15 conversion look different on a s14 from a s14a? The reason I ask is because the s14a hood has a slight dip while the s14 is rounder. Will the end product look the same anyway?

My original plan was to get the newest 240 I could find. I've driven beaterz all my life and got tired of it. People keep on telling me that I should get a s13 instead, lighter, smaller, etc etc.
3rd question: How many "old car" problems will a 91-92 240 have and is the s13 a better buy even with the extra milage and maintance?

Last question of course is, what car should I get?
1) drive the 75 miles to get the s14a (i'll have to do this multiple times to hammer out the deal)
2) s14 and used the money saved on mods
3) s13 and overlook the fact that its 5 years older than my original choice.

Thanks ya'll, you're the best! =)

**DONOTDELETE**
08-16-2001, 07:32 AM
I drove about 80 miles to get my '98 SE, these are the rarest because there were very few or these sold, so you'd have a very unique car (I DO http://www.freshalloy.com/). I'd definetly suggest you get the newer one, It would probably still have warranty and all... Also remember that the older the car, the more interest and less term financing available.

The Freak

[This message has been edited by freak_leash240 (edited 08-16-2001).]

StealthmodeS14
08-16-2001, 07:44 AM
1.Actually the two models of S14s you're reffering to are the S14a and S14b.....I believe the only differences cometically to the car was of course the front end (fenders, hood, and headlamps), the sideskirts found on the S14b (97'~98'), and finally minor mods to the tailight assmebly......interior wise there wasn't any changes that I'm aware of.

2. An S15 front end conversion on either model requires the same process...no
differences

3. I myself would have no problemdriving 100 miles to get myself a 97'~98' model....this coming from someone who is a proud owner of a 95'.....much more difficult of the two to find when speaking of the S14 model....

....my two cents

'97 S14 SE Turbo
08-16-2001, 07:53 AM
Nah, both are called S14. The unofficial code is S14 and S14a. "a" for After minor changes.

The "a" "b" stuff is just stupid.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HondakillaS14:
1.Actually the two models of S14s you're reffering to are the S14a and S14b.....I believe the only differences cometically to the car was of course the front end (fenders, hood, and headlamps), the sideskirts found on the S14b (97'~98'), and finally minor mods to the tailight assmebly......interior wise there wasn't any changes that I'm aware of.

2. An S15 front end conversion on either model requires the same process...no
differences

3. I myself would have no problemdriving 100 miles to get myself a 97'~98' model....this coming from someone who is a proud owner of a 95'.....much more difficult of the two to find when speaking of the S14 model....

....my two cents<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
08-16-2001, 07:56 AM
If you are debating on driving 75 miles to buy a 97', then maybe you don't want it all that bad.
I drive that just to work and back. And I went 38 miles to buy my 93'. Almost bought a
white 98 and was going to have to SHIP to my door.
So maybe just think What you really are looking for!? Image, New car macho, fun, originality, etc..
Then, get to the responsible part http://www.freshalloy.com/ , insurance, payments, repair, parts available.
Now you have an excellent base to make a Feel Good decision on.
And, once you got the car in your hands, then do crazy stuff. Like getting custom seats or a nasty tunes system, full dress body kit.
http://www.freshalloy.com/

Pruto
08-16-2001, 08:26 AM
I don't mind driving 75 miles, I love driving. However I doubt I'll be able to convince my mechanic to go along with me 75 miles, or convince the guy selling the car if I can drive 75 miles back to see my mechanic. I personally wouldn't know what to look for in a used car and don't want to buy a car without knowing all the problems.

I've heard of people making road trips to buy the car they want. But is buying a car on site after the first look a good idea?

**DONOTDELETE**
08-16-2001, 08:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pruto:
I don't mind driving 75 miles, I love driving. However I doubt I'll be able to convince my mechanic to go along with me 75 miles, or convince the guy selling the car if I can drive 75 miles back to see my mechanic. I personally wouldn't know what to look for in a used car and don't want to buy a car without knowing all the problems.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is a good point

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>
I've heard of people making road trips to buy the car they want. But is buying a car on site after the first look a good idea? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It would really depend on How you feel about it.
And as I gather, there is safety in your Mech. So how about this----- Ask Your Mech. what garage he knows of, if any
in that area. And then let them know you will be looking at this Auto and want to bring
it by for a pre purchase check.
If the seller is legit, this will be O.K. and even a 10 -15 mile trip to a shop is nothing
when there is a sale going on. I mean, what's $45 - $60. when we are talking $1k's!?

StealthmodeS14
08-16-2001, 10:12 AM
Woops, I was always under the asumption it was "a" and "b"....didn'tknow it was just S14 and S14a...sorry......I hate lookin like a jackass when answering wrong...hehe

'97 S14 SE Turbo
08-16-2001, 10:24 AM
It's only S14. Where has the S13 have HS13 vs MS13 (SOHC vs DOHC coupe), and RHS13 vs RMS13 (SOHC vs DOHC fastback).

The unoffical "a" designation was first used in late '96 on the 240sxcca by Chris Moran. Chris Moran is a member in Australia, and based on the information he could gather at the time, it's an unofficial S14a. and "a" being "a"fter minor changes.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-16-2001, 10:38 AM
First, as to the model of car - go with what you REALLY want. Nothing will match the near-new experience of a 97-8, but the 95-6 will not be a beater (as they are all pretty well loaded), and the S13 may offer the most potential. I faced that same decision and settled for a 95 SE... that I had to drive over 100 miles for... and put money on in the dark... during rainstorms... without a mechanic! (luckily when I went back the next day, she was all I thought from the night before http://www.freshalloy.com/)

As for the mechanic,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spec240sx:
Ask Your Mech. what garage he knows of, if any in that area. And then let them know you will be looking at this Auto and want to bring it by for a pre purchase check.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree and if your buddy doesn't know a shop, try finding a dealer or a AAA approved place for some peace of mind. But remember that if it's worth the drive, it is worth calling ahead to make sure they can fit you in on that day!! Happy hunting,
-mark