PDA

View Full Version : Limited Slip Differential...

**DONOTDELETE**
08-19-2001, 02:34 AM
is LSD good for drifting? or is it better without?.. thanks.. sorry for the ignorance

G_Blade
08-19-2001, 04:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bustdiss:
is LSD good for drifting? or is it better without?.. thanks.. sorry for the ignorance<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, not being a r eal drifter with first hand experience.. (unles you count ass-dragging a honda through most sharp corners... lol), I cant say, but I belive an LSD would be a good thing... especially given that the idea of drifting is to lose rear traction... an LSD allows you to get that traction back when you need it, and apply the power needed to keep the wheels loose and the tail out. I thing some poepl say you cant really drift without a limited slip rear end... I'd go for it!

Super13
08-19-2001, 05:08 AM
i would think the oposite is true, however if u got enough power down to the wheels, and you have some s#!T for traction rear tires anything is possible

KaKa
08-19-2001, 10:07 AM
i would think a lsd would be helpful when drifting.... usually to control a drift you use the accelorator.... so 2 wheels spinning is better than one.. :P i think...
erm... just my 2 cents...

kaka

**DONOTDELETE**
08-19-2001, 01:01 PM
From what I have heard, an LSD makes drifting alot easier. Both rear tires are spinning, slipping, gripping, etc the same amount, so its more contollable. With a peg-leg differential, only the wheel with the least weight/grip really wants to spin, so it takes a little more work to keep the non-spinning wheel sliding.

JonCarson
08-19-2001, 03:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bustdiss:
is LSD good for drifting? or is it better without?.. thanks.. sorry for the ignorance<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since no one seems to want to be definitive about this I'll come out and say it. You want an LSD for drifting. Of course you can kick the rear end of your car out without it, but if you want to do actual controlled drifting like you see in Option videos and such, you need an LSD. Anything less and you're just oversteering the exit of a turn...not the same thing as "drifting".

Kyosho26
08-19-2001, 04:41 PM
LSD is definitely for drift, most drifters run 2 way LSD, it helps in accel and decel. Its not very fun for everyday drive. But yeah LSD is one of the first things people buy when they drift. It makes both wheels spin together, so you dont have one wheel griping and the other one slipping... Alan