PDA

View Full Version : 92 240SX Intermittent Overheating Problem

**DONOTDELETE**
08-21-2001, 08:04 AM
Hello everyone,
I am a brand new member to your forum and I have a problem with my 92 240SX that I hope someone can steer me in the right direction. The problem is my car attempts to overheat after the I have been driving the car about five minutes at somewhere around 30MPH. Then when the gauge almost reaches HOT, it slowly drops to mid gauge. I took it to my NISSAN dealer and they told me it was my fan clutch, so I replaced the fan clutch and that didn't do it. I took it back to the dealer and they still said it was the fan clutch. I told them I replaced that and that it must be something else. I notice that after I stop the car and turn it off, that a gurgling sound comes out of the front of the car like water boiling. After I let the car sit awhile, I open the radiator cap and put about 2 cups of water in it and the car will not overheat until maybe a week or two later. That's when I have to put more water in it and it's fine until I have to put more water in the next time. I can't figure out where the water is going as I don't see any puddles under the car or any water leaking around the radiator or water pump, etc. Has anyone seen this problem before? Thanks so much for any help or advice that you can offer.

Rokerman2k

ADAM HUTCHINSON
08-21-2001, 08:05 AM
head gasket blown ?

Mav1178
08-21-2001, 09:59 AM
You need to run a compression test (don't do it at the dealer!!!) to see if your head gasket is okay.

Sounds like a leaky head gasket.

-alex