PDA

View Full Version : Blown head gasket?

**DONOTDELETE**
08-21-2001, 08:59 PM
I was driving to work today when the car began to surge slightly. The temp gauge went up one notch,not hot at all. I pulled the car over and it died. I tried to crank it and white smoke came from the exhaust and it smelled like antifreeze. I had no tools so I couldn't pull the plugs nor did I think to check the oil. Could this be something more than just a blown head gasket? The car never ran hot. Could it be a cracked head or cylinder. This Is my first experience with this. Any input would be greatly appreciated...Scott

**DONOTDELETE**
08-22-2001, 12:13 AM
Hi Scott, sorry to hear about your troubles. My 1991 240sx did the exact same thing about 3 weeks ago. I found out that my headgasket was blown and my head was warped. My car is at the local Nissan dealer now getting fixed. Estimated price is $2000 CDN. I think our blocks are pretty solid on our 240's so hopefully it's nothing more than your headgasket. My car never over-heated but still my head was warped enough to need machining. Anyways, goodluck to you. I have decided to sell my car after the repairs. I can't justify keeping a car that only has 100,000 KMs on it when the headgaskget blows.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-22-2001, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably let mine go after this also. It's becoming a money pit. Thanks again-Scott

ADAM HUTCHINSON
08-22-2001, 04:24 AM
i just replaced a blown head gasket for $700 cdn....2k is a rip off

**DONOTDELETE**
08-25-2001, 12:14 AM
Doh! It gets worse. The dealer just called and my valve shims are done as well. Total for headgasket replace, machining head, valve shims...$2200 CDN....ouch!
Thanks to everyone for all your advice in the past, I'll drop in to see wassup once in awhile, but I think for now, selling my 240 and I'm going to ride my R6 until winter.

Mav1178
08-25-2001, 12:48 AM
Why sell?

Get a used engine, swap it in, and you can be out of there for about $1000-1200USD.

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
08-25-2001, 08:08 PM
I just replaced my head gasket about 2 weeks ago. I spent a grand total of ~$80. I took it to a shop and they said the head was fine. I guess thats b/c the car never once ran hot.. even though the gasket was blown. I say.. take 2 days and replace it yourself and take it to the shop and see if the head needs to be milled.

Jason

VeilSideS14
08-25-2001, 08:17 PM
I agree...why spend so much on repairs when you could just do an engine swap. What better justification do you need to go SR?